Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM

32 posts, read 84,619 times

Advertisements

A good college friend is a very well-educated Asian-American professional living in NYC. He recently got a job offer in Chicago that he can't turn down and will be moving to the city in July. He is deeply concerned with Chicago's segregation and the provincial Midwestern mindset that permeates the city. He's worried that he will be discriminated against and won't be accepted into mainstream social circles. And dating wise, he has mostly dated white women in NYC (especially blondes), and he's concerned because white women in Chicago are generally not into Asian guys (or non-whites for that matter).

How legitimate are his concerns? Any advice for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBS2015 View Post
How legitimate are his concerns?
Not at all.

Quote:
Any advice for him?
Lighten up. You're not moving to rural Mississippi.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Tell your friend he'll be fine. First of all, most of the segregation spoken of is black-white and there are neighborhoods on the south side which are like 97-98% black and a few white that are like that. However, outside of that, it's not nearly as segregated as that IMO. Yeah, there may be areas that are 70% white, but they are also big areas full of other people and many others. There are in fact integrated areas of town such especially on the far north side, and the north side neighborhoods are pretty left leaning.

Furthermore, the racism thing, maybe every once in awhile but on average, not at all in many areas IMO. I am basically half middle eastern/turkish and get mistaken for everything under the sun (Spanish, Brazilian, Turkish, French, Arab, Iranian, northern Indian, Mexican, Italian, Greek, etc) but I've never faced any nasty comments. Furthermore, my girlfriend is Asian so that's an interracial relationship. I've never heard any comments or noises directed at us and nobody has given a ****, nor has anyone barred us entrance or service at any place of business. There are loads of minorities in Chicago. Hell, about 1/3 of Chicago is Hispanic ancestry.

For the "who's into asian men?" thing....no idea. I know of some clubs/bars/places that are full with asians more (a few in Wicker Park). Everytime I go there, I see a mix of all major races there and my girlfriend's friend, who is non asian, is big time into asian guys and goes there to find them LOL. While there are some small town midwestern people here, there are also many progressive people who don't usually care what race someone is.

That's what my experience is with it at least.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-28-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
I've seen many Asian/White couple in the Hyde Park neighborhood and most Whites in the area are not as midwesternized as Lakeview and Lincoln Park. I guess due to the University of Chicago influence in the area. There are many places to socialize in South Loop and other neighborhoods right in Downtown.

His concern is justified but he will have to choose his area where he lives. The Northside community of Edgewater I've heard was pretty good for Asians and anyone else interested in interracial dating. I know plenty of Asian and White interracial couples in suburban areas like Naperville but it doesn't sound like he is into the suburbs.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've seen many Asian/White couple in the Hyde Park neighborhood and most Whites in the area are not as midwesternized as Lakeview and Lincoln Park. I guess due to the University of Chicago influence in the area. There are many places to socialize in South Loop and other neighborhoods right in Downtown.

His concern is justified but he will have to choose his area where he lives. The Northside community of Edgewater I've heard was pretty good for Asians and anyone else interested in interracial dating. I know plenty of Asian and White interracial couples in suburban areas like Naperville but it doesn't sound like he is into the suburbs.
Hyde Park is more progressive for sure. Although I agree with you that Lakeview and Lincoln Park are more "midwesternized," there are also many people living there from outside of the midwest. I have many friends from outside of the midwest and the US who live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, River North, and Streeterville. It's a mix of people for sure and not everyone who is from the midwest is some racist/bigoted person or anti interracial dating. It's just some of them.

For the record, the two most integrated communities in Chicago are technically Albany Park and Uptown and Edgewater is good. There are a handful of Buddhist temples in North Center/Ravenswood area too.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Hyde Park is more progressive for sure. Although I agree with you that Lakeview and Lincoln Park are more "midwesternized," there are also many people living there from outside of the midwest. I have many friends from outside of the midwest and the US who live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, River North, and Streeterville. It's a mix of people for sure and not everyone who is from the midwest is some racist/bigoted person or anti interracial dating. It's just some of them.

For the record, the two most integrated communities in Chicago are technically Albany Park and Uptown and Edgewater is good. There are a handful of Buddhist temples in North Center/Ravenswood area too.
Gold Coast, Streeterville and River North would also make very good neighborhoods.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule with Lincoln Park and Lakeview but you and I can agree it's Midwesternized. I don't think all of anything is anything but some areas are better for some people than others.

What does Buddhist temple have to do with Asian/White interracial social opportunities of an area? I'm not too enlightened on that religion and the influence on the area.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 PM

32 posts, read 84,619 times
Quote:
Gold Coast, Streeterville and River North would also make very good neighborhoods.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule with Lincoln Park and Lakeview but you and I can agree it's Midwesternized. I don't think all of anything is anything but some areas are better for some people than others.

What does Buddhist temple have to do with Asian/White interracial social opportunities of an area? I'm not too enlightened on that religion and the influence on the area.

My friend is looking at river north, gold coast, and west loop, at the luxury highrise buildings in those areas.

Yeah, Lincoln park and and lakeview are filled with Midwestern big 10 frat/sorority types. My friend is definitely NOT that.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
If it's an offer too good to be true, then I agree...probably has an offer for a good salary. Other areas would be good though depending on their personality and what not.

Quote:
Although the percentages are not as high for other races, you'd be surprised at how many non white people live in these areas. To be exact, there's over 5600 Asians in Lake View and about 3300 in Lincoln Park. Lake View is only 0.31% less Asian as a percentage than Hyde Park.

Lake View gets lumped too often with Lincoln Park. Both are big neighborhoods, and Lakeview is the second largest by population in the city at almost 100,000 people. There are definitely fratty areas of Lakeview, but there are also more cosmopolitan areas I find such as Lakeview East and the areas near the lake and north near Buena Park (Uptown) and a little south.

I'll post more stats later.

Quote:
Not really anything to do with the interracial social opportunities, just kind of putting it out there. Uptown is home to Argyle, which is of course "New Chinatown" or "Little Saigon" and the areas surrounding it have a number of Asians too. I posted the stat for Lakeview above. Uptown is over 11% Asian (6400+ population) and Lincoln Square is also over 11% Asian (4400 population).

Many of the Asians who live in this area are from Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.

My girlfriend has lived both in Lincoln Square and Lakeview, and there are definitely sections where there are a good amount of Asians around (not counting the obvious Uptown). Her roommate was from China as well and some of her friends who were foreign and from SE Asia (my girlfriend from Malaysia) live in Lakeview, Uptown, or Lincoln Square.

My girlfriend actually lived almost right behind a Buddhist temple in Lincoln Square. Here is a map:
buddhist near lincoln square chicago - Google Maps

^ FYI Chrome always works better for these things.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
My friend is looking at river north, gold coast, and west loop, at the luxury highrise buildings in those areas.

Yeah, Lincoln park and and lakeview are filled with Midwestern big 10 frat/sorority types. My friend is definitely NOT that.
He will have nothing to worry about. The areas you mentioned are diverse and fairly progressive. I have a Chinese American couple who where transferred from NYC who resides in the West Loop had the some concerns with Chicago racial climate and all concerns where eliminated within their first month of living here.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
Tell him New York is arguably just as provincial and segregated as Chicago. He'll be fine if he comes in open minded. If he comes in with an east coast lean on everything, he'll have trouble adjusting, or worse people will smell it on him and be put off.

Does he really want to move? If not, that'll be the greatest obstacle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago