Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 09:18 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbond View Post
Thanks for your insight, this makes me want to move into the city even more.

I have been pricing condos and apartments in the city. Yes, it will be more expensive to live in the city but it will be worth it to have a good social life. I might even get a studio condo or studio apartment in the loop or north side. River North looks good, so does Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville and Lakeview.

A guy I used to work with told me that his social life improved 100% when he moved from Schaumburg to the city. I have had other single people tell me the same thing that basically, "the suburbs are death to your social life."
Depending on the burb you're coming from and the neighborhood you choose in the city, it's not necessarily even more expensive to live in the city. There are plenty of good places to live in the city that aren't Lincoln Park or Lakeview. (Actually, culturally speaking those are probably the most suburb-like neighborhoods in the city-- not what I would choose.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Depending on the burb you're coming from and the neighborhood you choose in the city, it's not necessarily even more expensive to live in the city. There are plenty of good places to live in the city that aren't Lincoln Park or Lakeview. (Actually, culturally speaking those are probably the most suburb-like neighborhoods in the city-- not what I would choose.)
And depending on the burb you're coming from and the neighborhood you choose in the city, it's not necessarily even better for your social life to live in the city. There are huge swaths of Chicago that are as dull as can be and offer very little in terms of night life (responding to "Jamesbond's" comment here, not ChinNaan's).

The Chicago forum now has the incredibly myopic view that "city" = fun north side neighborhood and "suburb" equals auto-oriented cul-de-sac. Reality is a lot more complex. But of course, when we are talking about a city of 2.8 million people and a suburban region of 6 million people, it's hard not to discuss without making sweeping generalizations.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I heard on the news today that there are more renters than first time home buyers - homes are too expensive so rent is the best thing. That's great (for me), now renters are elevated up a bit higher in status (home owners were the ones that were supposed to be the most wonderful as opposed to lowly renters LOL)

wonder if that might make all our rents go higher because of it, or less available housing.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:55 AM

More renters = higher rent. Supply and demand is the most basic concept in Econ 101.

Renters have higher "status"? This makes up for the fact that your rent will be jacked up hundreds of dollars next year? Okay then.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 AM

166 posts, read 259,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
More renters = higher rent. Supply and demand is the most basic concept in Econ 101.

Renters have higher "status"? This makes up for the fact that your rent will be jacked up hundreds of dollars next year? Okay then.
And the "status" might make up the fact that in 1, 2, 3, or 5 years the renter will have nothing to show for her monthly payments. The buyer will have some equity if she is smart. The only reason to rent is if your work/personal situation is in flux and you may need to move in the next year or two.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:

He wasn't saying that--he was suggesting that perhaps the "status" of renters might increase a little, simply because their numbers are increasing, and this might be more of a common factor among a larger group of people ( strength in numbers, etc)..

Besides, perhaps an owner's roof might cave in, and he may be under/uninsured, and that would surely overwhelm any potential rent increases; it's all relative..

Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
He wasn't saying that--he was suggesting that perhaps the "status" of renters might increase a little, simply because their numbers are increasing, and this might be more of a common factor among a larger group of people ( strength in numbers, etc)..
I thought MeO was a she???

Either way, more renters = higher rents unless the supply of rental housing increases in measure (which it won't). We already have a city with very tenant-friendly laws on the books, so I don't anticipate any changes there.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
And depending on the burb you're coming from and the neighborhood you choose in the city, it's not necessarily even better for your social life to live in the city. There are huge swaths of Chicago that are as dull as can be and offer very little in terms of night life
That's true if you're wanting fun right in your specific neighborhood. Even the most boring neighborhoods in the city are significantly closer to the fun things in the city than places like Schaumburg or Naperville are, though.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
That's true if you're wanting fun right in your specific neighborhood. Even the most boring neighborhoods in the city are significantly closer to the fun things in the city than places like Schaumburg or Naperville are, though.
Have you been to Naperville??

Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Have you been to Naperville??
Is Naperville closer to the 'fun' areas of the city than other parts of the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago