Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 11:28 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times

Advertisements

I think in most ways it will. For instance as the city becomes more expensive and family sizes shrunk, the city will be filled with more productive professionals. This will boost economic output and gross domestic product. The city will also become safer.

Then later on, when the City is safer and more productive (like NYC for example) it will become an international magnet for more professionals and even more diverse incomes. So I do think that the city needs to shrink a little bit before it can grow again. And if Chicago does want to grow again, more higher density housing will need to be built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 06:20 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I think in most ways it will. For instance as the city becomes more expensive and family sizes shrunk, the city will be filled with more productive professionals. This will boost economic output and gross domestic product. The city will also become safer.

Then later on, when the City is safer and more productive (like NYC for example) it will become an international magnet for more professionals and even more diverse incomes. So I do think that the city needs to shrink a little bit before it can grow again. And if Chicago does want to grow again, more higher density housing will need to be built.
You seem to like this topic, as you've been bumping old threads on this. The example you have given has already happened in Chicago's core (downtown and adjacent neighborhoods). Tons more professionals moving in, booming development and international investment. Huge economic output and growth in all business sectors.

Although, I would argue as I always have, that you still need the other parts of Chicago to thrive and get better for a sustained, productive city. Other parts of the city that relied on manufacturing and other blue collar jobs, need more economic options and investment. But in order for that to happen, those neighborhoods need to be safer. That would stop population loss and set up a pipeline for continued growth and development throughout the city, which will lead to even more investment and prosperity.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Those are not liberal cities. You're conflating "votes Democrat" with "liberal".
Which is completely wrong to do, yes. Amen!

Old 12-24-2019, 01:32 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
BRU, I hope that in the original post, i got across the very points you raise (and raise so well) here: Chicago has failed its inner city, and any sense of gain from the loss of population needs to reflect this very failure.
The very meaning of the word "inner city" has changed. Inner-city Chicago is vibrant and mostly unaffordable. It's the outer city that's suffering.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:35 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
I think the op grew up in the Jim Crow era. He was probably fantasizing about the good old days when he made this post.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:18 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post

Maybe. Maybe not. The problem is, even though we've got what, two hundred years of experience with large cities in the USA, you can't look solely at history to predict the future. For instance, at one time, Seattle was thought to be a "dying craphole". Then Microsoft, Starbucks, and other large companies gave it new life, and it has eclipsed Chicago in the past two decades with respect to real estate prices and "desirability". The other side of that same coin is Detroit. Declining industry, fleeing population, and urban decay has left it as a shell of its former self. Can it ever return to its former glory? Doubtful. California is going to be very interesting to watch in the next twenty years, with so many businesses leaving it for Texas (or so they say).

I haven't researched it much, but it sure does seem like we are in a period of "extraordinary" domestic migration currently, such as happened in the early 20th century when there was a huge migration of African Americans from southern to northern states (partly to flee Jim Crow, but mostly, I think, for economic opportunities). It seems that with the Baby Boomers relocating for retirement, and people fleeing certain states (New York, Illinois, New Jersey and California are the biggest, I think), and others growing in population (Florida, Arizona, Colorado and Texas have probably grown the fastest), the country is changing dramatically. Where Chicago will land in all this is anyone's guess. But I can tell you that the huge legacy costs (debt) in Illinois (and the Chicago area will end up paying the lion's share of it) are going to be very large detriments to future growth.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:47 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
Its only a matter of time where people will begin to move back to Chicago or stay here. Climate change, water shortages and people sick of the west coast fires etc. will change people's perceptions and they will want to live here.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:20 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Its only a matter of time where people will begin to move back to Chicago or stay here. Climate change, water shortages and people sick of the west coast fires etc. will change people's perceptions and they will want to live here.
It's going to take serious reform to make Chicago an overall more desirable place to live, not some hypothetical climate change.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:07 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
People tend to either move where they can get the best "deal" (housing per dollar, services per dollar, desirable work / wages, etc.), or where they have family or history, or believe they can attain some imagined "standard of living" (near the arts, beautiful scenery, entertainment options, good health care, areas with low crime, etc.). The Chicago area has some things that make it a very desirable place to live. It also has some serious faults. Unless it can keep the former and minimize the latter going forward, the recent trends will continue. I'd say that its largest detriments currently are the obscene property taxes, the (mostly perceived) high crime rate (very bad in some neighborhoods, not bad at all in most), and the huge debt that has the potential to drive ever-higher taxes, which may or may not restrict further economic growth.

"Climate change", while real, is not going to be driving immigration for many years. If it makes the Great Lakes region a more desirable place to live, there are a whole lot of other cities located on them that may or may not offer a better "deal" than Chicago by the time the effects take hold.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 AM

403 posts, read 930,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
People tend to either move where they can get the best "deal" (housing per dollar, services per dollar, desirable work / wages, etc.), or where they have family or history, or believe they can attain some imagined "standard of living" (near the arts, beautiful scenery, entertainment options, good health care, areas with low crime, etc.). The Chicago area has some things that make it a very desirable place to live. It also has some serious faults. Unless it can keep the former and minimize the latter going forward, the recent trends will continue. I'd say that its largest detriments currently are the obscene property taxes, the (mostly perceived) high crime rate (very bad in some neighborhoods, not bad at all in most), and the huge debt that has the potential to drive ever-higher taxes, which may or may not restrict further economic growth.

"Climate change", while real, is not going to be driving immigration for many years. If it makes the Great Lakes region a more desirable place to live, there are a whole lot of other cities located on them that may or may not offer a better "deal" than Chicago by the time the effects take hold.
Thoughtful post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago