Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 05:51 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,593,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The question is what changed in the 2010s.
If anything, it's the gentrification of former gangbanging hoods, and those elements moving into other turf.

Also, the 2016-17 spike in murders came after there were major gang leader busts that the feds went patting themselves on the back over.

Anyway, I never saw another dying city that everyone's leaving, that had so many construction cranes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 08:03 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,622,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Who in their right mind would choose to move to Chicago? Or any city with half a million + people?
All the big 10 grads moving to Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Austin etc. over the last 20 yrs

Old 12-11-2019, 01:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,211,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
According to the latest census figures, the hispanic population of Chicago is growing. I don't have neighborhood breakdowns though. And what does forcefully mean? Do you mean they may have sold their house and made a lot of money? They may not be able to afford a rent increase?
At a snail pace, and not nearly enough to offset the depopulation of other groups, namely African-Americans. The largest increase have been by Asians.

What's strange is (2017) census estimates still show that the black alone population is greater than Hispanics. Even here on city-data. It appears that most of the new wave of latinos have been heading straight to the suburbs and satellite cities- being the largest contributors to significant population growth in some (e.g. Aurora, Bolingbrook, Joliet, etc). The hispanic population in Chicago, if going by the census, has only increase by about 34,000(negligible relative to overall population) since 2000.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 12-11-2019 at 01:53 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 04:56 AM

381 posts, read 351,016 times
Latinos are the majority minority currently

Old 12-11-2019, 09:33 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It's interesting how it's characterized isn't it? In a less woke time (i.e. before 2017), people were much more transparent about this. They'd talk openly and sometimes almost gleefully about how the poor were moving to the suburbs, and it was pretty clear who they were referring to (African-Americans and Hispanics). Now, they are more subtle but it is still clear that the overall sentiment hasn't changed.

Sure, some majority AA neighborhoods are now getting some amateur investors but that seems to be mostly limited to East Garfield Park and certain parts of North Lawndale. So this is clearly motivated by impending gentrification. Very disappointing for such a progressive region, IMO
That's what I hate about so-called "liberals". They are just as racist as anyone but nowadays it's not so fashionable to be racist. In terms of black-white relations there is nothing progressive about Chicago. It is what it is.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
But nothing to do with Chicagoans. Many choose to stay in the region too. More suburban moves made too. But still main reason was gangland-crime and schools to closings in the city hoods. GANGS more then anything ..... prompted the migration outward. Now even Taxes do in other areas sadly.
I'm not sure why you think you understand the black community better than I do, Dave.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm not sure why you think you understand the black community better than I do, Dave.
Perhaps, then, you're the right person to ask exactly what opportunities exist elsewhere for people with no job skills.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:27 PM

212 posts, read 148,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Who in their right mind would choose to move to Chicago? Or any city with half a million + people?
people who want that big city feel

Old 12-13-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Perhaps, then, you're the right person to ask exactly what opportunities exist elsewhere for people with no job skills.
Perhaps you should ask an employment counselor? The better question is why the median black income in Chicago is lower than places like New York, DC, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas? Once you've done your homework get back to me.

I get the feeling you're a transplant from some small town in the south or midwest.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Perhaps you should ask an employment counselor? The better question is why the median black income in Chicago is lower than places like New York, DC, Atlanta, Houston and Dallas? Once you've done your homework get back to me.

I get the feeling you're a transplant from some small town in the south or midwest.
Cite some kind of source for this. New York and DC I buy, not the others so much. Those are also more expensive places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago