Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,446,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Illinois will be the first state to default. It's going to get uglier soon. Wrong place to live in the future if you have any assets. Can the state troopers buy gas with state credit cards again?
I see no other option to raise the >$200E9 in retirement benefit debt the state has. They are already taxing grannies and working families out of their homes and have started an exodus. The federal govt is going to have to mediate a bankruptcy, restructuring, and renegotiation like they did for GM & Chrysler in 2009. It will be an embarrassing spotlight on Democrat misgovernance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:05 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,069,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Yeah.And he said it's overcrowded. Which is also false.

Every major metro area is overcrowded by design, as evidenced by holiday shoppers complaining of "too many people" on WGN news just 3 days ago.
And that new Starbucks, with a block long line.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 AM

213 posts, read 166,640 times
My thoughts, summarized in %:

55% High property taxes
30% 2016 Trump wagon, demonizing Chicago
10% winter
5% other reasons

Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Not when there's less job market growth when compared to cities such as Minneapolis or Atlanta.
To a point, until that growth outstrips the pace of the job market.

Name a more diversified local metropolitan economy in the United States than Chicago's. Take as long as you need. Most of the economies down there are one-trick ponies, or two-trick ponies at most. Take oil and gas out of Houston or tech out of Austin and you don't have much more there than the standard service economy that props up the Clevelands and the Pittsburghs of the world nowadays.

Also, your bringing up Minneapolis kind of throws a wrench into the idea that it's about the weather. I like winter, but they might even have too much for me.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,588,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
I would. Tons to see and do within walking distance of my front door or accessible by public transpo.
OTOH if you had to drive a car, like in L.A., the grind & desire to leave gets to you after 20-30 years in traffic whenever & wherever.

I imagine you are in the 20-35-ish age bracket. If so, I can agree with you about that. If not you should have a car already.

Many older folks making a comfortable living get tired of the city grind as they seen it & done it. New adventures in a peaceful environment in a less polluted area is really a nice thing. At some point, it'll hit home when your nearby cultural activity or restaurant loses its awe and closes down. I am a city guy and been thru that phase. For some, it's better to visit or live 10-15 miles away than live in it.

Public transpo? I don't know. If or when you have to deal with the occasional disrespectful kid, stench, no seat, pick pocketing, touchy feeling perves, drunk blabbering bums, sticky-gooey stuff on seats, noisy people, and wannabe gangsters. So yeah, .....that's not something to get all geeked up about. Maybe ride-sharing in a car is a better option.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,188,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
My thoughts, summarized in %:

55% High property taxes
30% 2016 Trump wagon, demonizing Chicago
10% winter
5% other reasons
30% loss is because of Trump demonizing Chicago? I don't think so. Most of the population losses occurred before he was president. I suspect most of the loss after he became president are from neighborhoods that largely didn't vote for him. The primary neighborhoods that would "buy" his demonization are mainly Mt. Greenwood, Edison Park and Clearing/Garfield Ridge, areas that likely had immaterial population losses in the last 3 years.

Also, I think *raised* property taxes is more accurate than *high*. As a whole, Chicago's are typically lower than the suburbs. At any rate, you're probably not far off with your property tax percentage.

45% raised property taxes
30% schools
20% crime
3% other
2% winter

Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,712,842 times
https://www.studyinternational.com/n...ation-shrinks/

Here's a good article on the demographic changes taking place.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:28 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,069,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Also, your bringing up Minneapolis kind of throws a wrench into the idea that it's about the weather. I like winter, but they might even have too much for me.
Their market has more jobs vs those seeking employment.
Probably due to their even longer winter.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,712,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
30% loss is because of Trump demonizing Chicago? I don't think so. Most of the population losses occurred before he was president. I suspect most of the loss after he became president are from neighborhoods that largely didn't vote for him. The primary neighborhoods that would "buy" his demonization are mainly Mt. Greenwood, Edison Park and Clearing/Garfield Ridge, areas that likely had immaterial population losses in the last 3 years.

Also, I think *raised* property taxes is more accurate than *high*. As a whole, Chicago's are typically lower than the suburbs. At any rate, you're probably not far off with your property tax percentage.

45% raised property taxes
30% schools
20% crime
3% other
2% winter

https://www.studyinternational.com/n...ation-shrinks/

Chicago is facing an educated epidemic, with predominantly less-educated African-Americans fleeing the area and a white, college-educated population dominating the city.

However, the amount of Chicagoans with a bachelor’s degree rose by 9.2 percent in 10 years, the biggest increase across the metro cities, reports Crain’s Chicago Business. This is according to data analysed by Ed Zotti, a demographer who works for the Central Area Committee.

“This is an aging industrial city. To have it as the most educated city in the top five nationally is a remarkable development,” said Zotti.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM

9,996 posts, read 5,703,637 times
So as long as it's the Negroes and those icky blue-collar types fleeing in droves, all's well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago