Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm not sure why you think you understand the black community better than I do, Dave.
The US census said so. We will see if the 2020 one also notes big losses of African Americans.

One thing that was the last few years that certainly did not help was Ram Emmanuel closing 50+ public schools.

Don't you think they had a effect of some more African-Americans said enough? They did not want THIER kids going further thru hood areas.

Thousands of African-Americans are leaving Chicago each year. Why?

https://www.wbez.org/shows/here-and-...7-b756780f2515

From link:
- Chicago’s black population is on track to shrink to 665,000 by 2030 -- down from a peak of about 1.2 million, according to the Urban Institute.
- One factor in many African-Americans’ decision to leave is Chicago’s rising cost of living.

Is Chicago’s legacy of segregation causing a reverse Great Migration?

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...t?oid=66920657

From link:
- There's also the "crime and schools" theory.
- The closure of more than 50 schools in 2013, mostly in black communities on the south and west sides, meant the loss of key local anchor institutions.
- Without a doubt there are many blacks who feel they are being pushed out of Chicago by its crime challenges, and that the school closures were an indication of a lack of investment in critical local institutions.
- black Chicagoans aren't flocking to the suburbs so much as leaving the region altogether.
- The number of blacks in the metro area but outside of Chicago has been relatively stagnant since 2000, an indication that people are leaving.
- The cities gaining at Chicago's expense? Sunbelt hot spots like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston.

As black population drops, Hispanics are drawn to Greater Englewood

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/3/...ater-englewood

From link:
Overall, the bureau estimates Chicago’s African-American population dropped nearly 10 percent between 2010 and 2017, to 820,000. In that time, the Hispanic population grew nearly 5 percent, to 790,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 12:11 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
I love Chicago. I love Illinois . Wonderful , great people . Great food and a great city as well . I grew up in 52nd and menard. As well as Rockwell . However , I left .. do I miss home . He’ll yeah I do . I miss my family , my food , my people . However , I’m not gonna live there . I’m not gonna stand by and allow a bunch of greedy democrat politicians bleed me out of the middle class into certain poverty so they can sit on their fat pensions . I chose to leave . Brought my business to Texas and I actually grow and flourish here . Do I love Texas more than Illinois ? Not really ... but at least they get it right here .
Illinois is only gonna to get worst .. I don’t see it getting any better . I’ll fly back to visit ... but that Illinois I grew up with in the 80s-90s is dead ... it’s nothing more now than a sandpit if endless Taxation that will drown you out of the middle class , right into poverty . No thanks. I’ll continue to vote the opposite of the democrat machine as long as I live . Their empty promises of bs ruined a great city and state and it’s finally time people realize that they need to reap what they have sown .

Old 12-14-2019, 07:14 AM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
DavePa, you've got the cart in front of the horse. People aren't leaving because schools are closing... schools are closing because people are leaving. Even after all the closures CPS still has 125 schools at less than 50% capacity. 20 of those are at less than 25% capacity.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:49 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
DavePa, you've got the cart in front of the horse. People aren't leaving because schools are closing... schools are closing because people are leaving. Even after all the closures CPS still has 125 schools at less than 50% capacity. 20 of those are at less than 25% capacity.
In fact many tens more of schools need to close...CPS and city are virtually bankrupt.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:24 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Cite some kind of source for this. New York and DC I buy, not the others so much. Those are also more expensive places to live.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...united-states/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cans/38460961/

Out of the 5 metropolitan areas with the largest black populations, Chicago ranks dead last. Also, in terms of income growth in the past 5 years Chicago is almost at the bottom. The only MSA's with a lower median income on this list are Jackson, Detroit and Cincinnati.

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 12-14-2019 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 05:53 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I love Chicago. I love Illinois . Wonderful , great people . Great food and a great city as well . I grew up in 52nd and menard. As well as Rockwell . However , I left .. do I miss home . He’ll yeah I do . I miss my family , my food , my people . However , I’m not gonna live there . I’m not gonna stand by and allow a bunch of greedy democrat politicians bleed me out of the middle class into certain poverty so they can sit on their fat pensions . I chose to leave . Brought my business to Texas and I actually grow and flourish here . Do I love Texas more than Illinois ? Not really ... but at least they get it right here .
Illinois is only gonna to get worst .. I don’t see it getting any better . I’ll fly back to visit ... but that Illinois I grew up with in the 80s-90s is dead ... it’s nothing more now than a sandpit if endless Taxation that will drown you out of the middle class , right into poverty . No thanks. I’ll continue to vote the opposite of the democrat machine as long as I live . Their empty promises of bs ruined a great city and state and it’s finally time people realize that they need to reap what they have sown .
I've grown to despise the democratic party. Living in Illinois for a long time will do that to you.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:04 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Chicago gained 11,526 people in 2012. Chicago lost 7,269 people in 2016. 2014 was the year that growth plummeted and 2015 was the first year of decline. What in the local or national economy changed during this time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
What happened was the economic recovery happened, and because of regional and national structural economics, other regions started to recover sooner than the Midwest.
It's not just the pace, but also the scale. The Midwest has seen slower than average economic growth over the past few years. Instead, economic growth has been above average in the West, the South, and parts of the Northeast. Graphs and maps from today's NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...wing-jobs.html
Manufacturing globally is in a recession, so the Midwest is not alone in that regard -- look at Germany and China. Agriculture has been in a recession for a while, as well.

It would make sense that the largest metro in a multi-state area seeing below-average economic growth would also see below-average population growth.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I've grown to despise the democratic party. Living in Illinois for a long time will do that to you.
Hear! Hear!

Old 12-16-2019, 05:55 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Hear! Hear!

I'm sure you will HATE this link and history that tainted Coolidge reign ONCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION HIT and things he did sound often familiar before our last crash.

https://millercenter.org/president/c...act-and-legacy

From link:
- although the public liked and admired Calvin Coolidge during his tenure,
- the Great Depression that began in 1929 seriously eroded his reputation and changed public opinion about his policies.
- many linked the nation's economic collapse to Coolidge's policy decisions.
- his failure to aid the depressed agricultural sector seems shortsighted, as nearly five thousand rural banks in the Midwest and South shut their doors in bankruptcy
- while many thousands of farmers lost their lands.
*** his tax cuts contributed to an uneven distribution of wealth and the overproduction of goods.
*** many Americans were deeply in debt for having purchased consumer goods on easy installment credit terms.
- in the conservative 1980s, Coolidge regained some of his stature, at least in conservative circles. - President Ronald Reagan returned his portrait to the Oval Office.
*** Reagan also praised Coolidge's political style and hands-off leadership for producing seven years of prosperity, peace, and balanced budgets.

^^^The Last comments you will like.... It was the Roaring Twenties too he was President. Industry boomed with little regulation to none.

The Miller Center -- is a nonpartisan affiliate of the University of Virginia that specializes in presidential scholarship, public policy, and political history and strives to apply the lessons of history and civil discourse to the nation's most pressing contemporary governance challenges.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,415 times
Property taxes too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago