Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 05:57 PM

223 posts, read 170,533 times

Advertisements

Master jay, The crippen is slightly older and the Clarke house was moved three times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 06:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
nana053, it is a great nomination for parks along the lake. Some of my greatest memories were wading in Lake Michigan on a hot summer day when tbe water was perfectly warm!

Do you have an inland favorite park?
Not really unless you count the ones in Evanston where I lived. We rarely went to inland city parks as we stuck around home, except that I walked down the lakefront every weekend. I did take the kids to Indian Boundary Park when the little zoo was there.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:34 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Chicagoisthebest, I'm putting my faith in your report! Do you agree, also, so far, that per contributors' responses, Chicago top 3 favorite parks is something like:

Portage

Norwood

Indian Boundary

Does that seem right? I know a couple of other repeated nominations were Gompers, Humboldt, Lincoln and Jackson.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:36 PM

nana053, not even a park out of West Ridge and/or Rogers Park, then???

Well, you let us know. Either way, thank you for contributing on this post!

Think Springtime in Evanston, then!! The snow is approaching!

Old 01-29-2021, 07:13 PM

223 posts, read 170,533 times
Master jay, Also a lot of people like humboldt park.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:56 PM

Chicagoisthebest, yes, Humboldt Park was mentioned a lot! Good call!!

Old 01-30-2021, 08:54 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
they have some apartments available in Norwood Park tho!

I happen to discover there is an Old Norwood Park and the regular Norwood Park. looks like 2 different neighborhoods.

There are several areas in greater Norwood Park. Some of the neighborhoods now have sub-names in addition to Norwood Park (e.g., Union Ridge, Big Oaks, East Norwood Park, Old Norwood Park, etc.) but when I grew up there, it was all just called Norwood Park. In fact I didn't even know the neighborhood names existed until about 15 years ago when I looked up the house I grew up in online and it said that it was in the Union Ridge neighborhood of Norwood Park. Who knew! The Northwest Expressway (now known as the Kennedy Expressway) which opened in 1960 cut right through the middle of Norwood Park and about a block of homes between the old and newer Norwood Park were demolished. As a little kid, watching all the big machinery doing demo and then construction kept me occupied for a couple of years. We were easily entertained back then. Before the construction, there was a smooth transition from what is now called Old Norwood Park and Taft HS to the newer areas to the south that were built on what were mostly dairy farms and a golf course (I grew up in one of those 1950s brick raised ranch houses my parents bought new). You can still see what little is left of that transition starting at Gregory and going south to Balmoral. The Kennedy getting built changed quite a bit in that area but fortunately, it was routed around the cool old homes west of Natoma and north of Bryn Mawr. The expressway planners were able to thread the needle between Union Ridge Cemetery (the oldest continuously used cemetery in Chicago) and historic Norwood Park which has some of the oldest houses in Chicago.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:16 AM

wjj. Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I have enjoyed driving as well as riding my bicycle through all parts of the Norwood Park area.

What a sight it must have been to see the expressway construction!

Old 01-30-2021, 10:33 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
wjj. Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I have enjoyed driving as well as riding my bicycle through all parts of the Norwood Park area.

What a sight it must have been to see the expressway construction!

I was small back then, but I remember our next door neighbor teens taking us on their bikes down in the big pit and through the huge pipes that were laying there waiting to be installed. Probably would be considered child abuse/neglect today, but we had a blast. Kids today really don't get to have fun any more. Everything is structured and if your parents wander out of the structure, someone will threaten to prosecute them. I was a free range kid (as were my friends) and had a great time (and stayed out of trouble), but today, it's just not possible. It is a real shame.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:39 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I was small back then, but I remember our next door neighbor teens taking us on their bikes down in the big pit and through the huge pipes that were laying there waiting to be installed. Probably would be considered child abuse/neglect today, but we had a blast. Kids today really don't get to have fun any more. Everything is structured and if your parents wander out of the structure, someone will threaten to prosecute them. I was a free range kid (as were my friends) and had a great time (and stayed out of trouble), but today, it's just not possible. It is a real shame.
Free Range parenting laws are being passed in some states

https://www.freerangekids.com/lets-p...-laws-in-2021/

Let’s hope that 2021 is the year several states pass Reasonable Childhood Independence / Free-Range Parenting bills, as Utah did in 2018. Right now, it’s looking good in Idaho, Nevada, South Carolina, Texas and possibly Nebraska.

This year in Colorado a Democrat and a Republican co-sponsored a Reasonable Childhood Independence bill. The two women were friends and had wanted to sponsor a bill together for years —this was the first one they agreed on! It sailed through the house unanimously and was a week away from probable passage in the Senate when the pandemic shut the legislature down. We are hopeful that it will be resurrected this coming year.

In the meantime, here’s the first-of-its-kind map of all 50 states’ child neglect laws that Let Grow commissioned. As you can see, many of the laws are so open-ended and vague that parents are left unsure of whether they can trust their kids with some independence or not.

https://letgrow.org/resources/state-policy-maps/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago