Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2021, 10:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I was small back then, but I remember our next door neighbor teens taking us on their bikes down in the big pit and through the huge pipes that were laying there waiting to be installed. Probably would be considered child abuse/neglect today, but we had a blast. Kids today really don't get to have fun any more. Everything is structured and if your parents wander out of the structure, someone will threaten to prosecute them. I was a free range kid (as were my friends) and had a great time (and stayed out of trouble), but today, it's just not possible. It is a real shame.
ha! yea! back then we rode bikes without helmets, we slid down metal slides at the park, we were on gravel and rocks and you could easily skin your knee on em, not like the nice rubber pellets they have now, oh we survived childhood even with those things! and yeah, playing around a bunch of big pipes would be so much fun!! we wouldn't get hurt, get used to them and thats how you dont get hurt playing. sheltering kids nowadays makes them fearful and they will get hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 11:54 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
ChicagoMeO, that's why it's nice to see those old school playgrounds like at Indian Boundary Park and Oz Park.

Even I remember as a youth when they were building homes in the exurbs of Milwaukee we'd ride our bikes there and play in the basements, as the basement/foundation was being constructed.

I miss the times, now, when my kids were younger and more interested to see "how many different parks in Chicago can we play at in 1 day." Now they are more concerned with sitting around on their phones and seeing what friends are doing. Such a sad youth of this era!

If only we could all go back in time, 5 or 55 years! WE were lucky to be young when we were!

God bless you all. I really appreciate reading your stories, so keep them coming.... Be safe for the snowstorm coming!

Old 01-30-2021, 01:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ChicagoMeO, that's why it's nice to see those old school playgrounds like at Indian Boundary Park and Oz Park.

Even I remember as a youth when they were building homes in the exurbs of Milwaukee we'd ride our bikes there and play in the basements, as the basement/foundation was being constructed.

I miss the times, now, when my kids were younger and more interested to see "how many different parks in Chicago can we play at in 1 day." Now they are more concerned with sitting around on their phones and seeing what friends are doing. Such a sad youth of this era!

If only we could all go back in time, 5 or 55 years! WE were lucky to be young when we were!

God bless you all. I really appreciate reading your stories, so keep them coming.... Be safe for the snowstorm coming!
hi - yes, at 2:02 pm it has not started snowing where im at. But i got a pizza so im hunkered down for the weekend. if i could go back in time, i would go find myself and tell myself "dont do such and such" haha ! I'd enjoy my old neighborhood and the corner store, etc. i'd go back to my neighborhood park and relive memories, like when my friends buried me in the sandbox at the park, when i was 5 years old. it was deep! haha funny thing - when i went back as an adult, that sandbox was only about 1 foot high of sand. it sure felt like it was way deeper. funny how things change when we are little, things are bigger than they really are.

by the way, I'm doing a Google map of Norwood park.. where are the oldest homes there?

Old 01-30-2021, 01:13 PM

ChicagoMeO, enjoy that pizza. Stay safe and warm.

And in summer, go back and see if someone can bury you up to the neck again. You'll feel younger!

I'm headed to my local mall, Southridge, to get a Chinese mall massage. I have to be loose for shoveling time!

Old 01-31-2021, 07:05 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
by the way, I'm doing a Google map of Norwood park.. where are the oldest homes there?

Find Taft HS and Norwood Park itself on Natoma and the Kennedy Xway and look straight west of there. The biggest and probably the oldest houses, some on huge lots, are on the 5600 and 5700 blocks of Newark and Newcastle (one and two blocks just west of Taft and the park and north of the Kennedy). There are also a lot of cool houses on the Circles up by the old school (Taft branch) mentioned earlier on this thread. Also, on Natoma across the street from the park. But that entire area bordered approximately by Bryn Mawr then Talcott on the south, Natoma on the east, Harlem on the west, and Avondale on the north is loaded with magnificent old homes.

Last edited by wjj; 01-31-2021 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-31-2021, 08:41 AM

wjj. Good morning. If my memory serves correctly at the corner of Devon and I believe, Nagle?, if you look at those houses in the southwest corner area, they have HUGE and long hilly lawns and driveways.

I can't help but think that lawnmowing and days like today with snowthrowing would be an absolute beast!

Old 01-31-2021, 11:22 AM
wjj

Quote:
wjj. Good morning. If my memory serves correctly at the corner of Devon and I believe, Nagle?, if you look at those houses in the southwest corner area, they have HUGE and long hilly lawns and driveways.

I can't help but think that lawnmowing and days like today with snowthrowing would be an absolute beast!

MJ......Nagle ends at Milwaukee Av just a bit south of Devon. That is where the original Superdogs is located. On Milwaukee and Devon, there is a forest preserve on the northeast corner where Whealen Pool and the toboggan hill are located. Across from that used to be a miniature golf course and an archery range. Strip mall now I think. Otherwise small houses in that area.

What you may be thinking of is the SW corner of Devon, Caldwell (Rt. 14), and Lehigh (6 corners kind of intersection). Tucked in there is Old Edgebrook which is inside the forest preserve next to Edgebrook Golf Course. Some nice vintage homes in there to be sure. And pricey to boot.

On the northwest corner was the best ice cream parlor ever. Lockwood Castle. Look it up sometime. It was an amazing place. Of course it is a Starbucks now.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:30 AM

wjj, thank you for the correction. I had to go to look on googlemaps. It appears the intersection I meant was Devon and Newark... look at the first couple of homes on the west side of the street, as you take a few steps south of the intersection.

Am I right? Very long and hilly front yards, and driveway. Would definitely keep you in shape to care for the outdoors.

P.S. I have been to Whealan. A very great park!

Old 01-31-2021, 12:04 PM
wjj

Quote:
wjj, thank you for the correction. I had to go to look on googlemaps. It appears the intersection I meant was Devon and Newark... look at the first couple of homes on the west side of the street, as you take a few steps south of the intersection.

Am I right? Very long and hilly front yards, and driveway. Would definitely keep you in shape to care for the outdoors.

P.S. I have been to Whealan. A very great park!

Yeah. There are some very deep but skinny lots over there so a long strip of lawn out front, but the houses tend to be smaller for the most part - most under 1500 sq/ft.. Next time you are at Whealan pool, go east on Devon to Caldwell and drive through Old Edgebrook. Interesting little enclave with 100 year old houses, many selling for in the $800K to $1.2MM range.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:50 PM

wjj, oh yes I have been through all the sections of Forest Glen. Riding on bicycle is my favorite! Last year I rode by tbe golf course. I remember I was on Leader Street just south of Peterson (called Caldwell if west of the expressway, right?).

A guy called to me and asked him if I could help him carry a lawnmower from his truck. He was surprised that I live in Milwaukee but was just riding around on a bicycle in Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago