Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM

332 posts, read 524,841 times

Advertisements

Though I would obviously prefer they don't raise fares, what I really want out of the CTA is appropriate funding and management of capital equipment and infastructure! If raising fares actually meant trains that run on time and a system without slow zones, then I'd be fine with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Pace wants to raise fares as well.

Pace suburban buses to raise fares 25 cents (http://www.wgntv.com/landing/?Pace-suburban-buses--to-raise-fares-25-c=1&blockID=91588&feedID=1536 - broken link)

Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't like to see an increase, obviously, and I think the free-rides-for-seniors thing is stupid and was a total stunt by Gov. Helmet (as do several seniors I know...), but if you look at the price of the monthly pass, it hasn't changed in 10 years... when it went DOWN 13 bucks in 1998. (From $88 to $75)

Press release from Dec 1998 here: CTA | Chicago Transit Authority - CTA Press Releases (http://www.transitchicago.com/news/archpress.wu?action=displayarticledetail&articleid =116809 - broken link)

I really don't think 90 bucks is out of line, considering rising fuel costs alone. (Then again, as a resident of a donor state, I wouldn't cry too hard about seeing some of our federal tax bucks going to the CTA, but now's hardly the time to whine about that...)

yes, from 1995 to 98, the 30 days were $88, and when that's adjusted for inflation, the $90 today would be less than the $88 in 1998.

see i learned something this morning.

i also learned that the new board member appointed by our lovely governor likes to spew the same crap that Blago does, and Huberman got slightly snarky with her. i.e. she sort of said "why can't we wait for a fare increase? the legislation was created so there wouldn't be any! (ever, i guess she assumed)" and he retaliated with "i said into the cameras that there wouldn't be one in '08, i never said anything about '09!" then she said something about how "well you weren't expecting the real estate xfer tax to be so low, maybe things will get better by next year, why can't a fare increase wait???!!!! *cute little look into the cameras in the back of the room*" and he shot back with "well we weren't anticipating the free rides either!" and she said "well, it was in the legislation!" and he said something about the free rides not being there until the last minute, and the same time i muttered under my breath how they weren't there to begin with, and the guy sitting next to me looked at me like i was crazy.

most amusing part of my day, sadly.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Though I would obviously prefer they don't raise fares, what I really want out of the CTA is appropriate funding and management of capital equipment and infastructure! If raising fares actually meant trains that run on time and a system without slow zones, then I'd be fine with that.
talk to our legislature about passing a capital bill, since there hasn't been a new one for a decade...

Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 PM

I am curious why they need to raise fares when they are getting increased funds from growing ridership over the last few years as well as money from the sales and real estate transfer taxes for operating expenses. Maybe someone should look into that.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am curious why they need to raise fares when they are getting increased funds from growing ridership over the last few years as well as money from the sales and real estate transfer taxes for operating expenses. Maybe someone should look into that.
sales tax is about even with what they projected for the '08 budget. the real estate transfer tax is down to about half of what was projected in january, they projected something like $42 million, and what really came in is $22 million, so that is part of the deficit for next year.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:18 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
You don't need CTA when you got a good road bike commuter bike with panniers. I took a 37 mile city bike ride and that took me from North Ave & Western down Elston to DEVON down Devon to the Lakefront down LSD to Downtown back to Wicker Park!

A good road bike can let you cruise 18 to 20 mph if you're in shape!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:40 AM

Omg.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:40 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,709 times
Nobody would die if they kept the temperature at 75F inside their vehicles in the summer, instead of ridiculous 67F. A whole lot fuel and electricity would be saved.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:14 PM

7 posts, read 11,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
You don't need CTA when you got a good road bike commuter bike with panniers. I took a 37 mile city bike ride and that took me from North Ave & Western down Elston to DEVON down Devon to the Lakefront down LSD to Downtown back to Wicker Park!

A good road bike can let you cruise 18 to 20 mph if you're in shape!
Biking is not for everyone, especially in the city. I'm pretty sure people are aware of the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago