Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
that's how i feel about it.
they made a bad bet. that's really all it is.
i'm sure they can only hope the price gets ridiculous again this summer.

it's like some of the 'burbs paying more for salt than the city because the city locked it in at a lower price than the 'burbs did.
Ditto. I read it, said "bummer" and then moved on. Realistically, if the economy hadn't floundered gas wouldn't be anywhere near as cheap as it is now. The intention was clearly to save money in the long run, and they clearly failed big time, but what exactly is there to discuss about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Ditto. I read it, said "bummer" and then moved on. Realistically, if the economy hadn't floundered gas wouldn't be anywhere near as cheap as it is now. The intention was clearly to save money in the long run, and they clearly failed big time, but what exactly is there to discuss about it?
well they obviously have a psychic over there getting paid $150,000 a year that isn't doing his job!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:10 PM

204 posts, read 761,671 times
Quote:
ding ding ding a million times ding.

I think scott just wants to complain about how expensive everything is in Chicago. http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...rance-fee.html

Oh really??? I guess that is irregular for me to be upset that taxes and ect. are being raised at amounts never before seen in the history of this city. Do I think there will be a backlash?? Yes because I am one of hundreds of thousands who is seriously considering moving because of it. Its not that I cant afford it, its I dont want to pay these ridiculous prices. I was tought the money you earn is the money you deserve. Im sorry but people who are too lazy to get up in the morning to work and corrupt politicians you throw my money around like its monopoly money dont deserve my money. I rather spend it elsewhere

Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
Oh really??? I guess that is irregular for me to be upset that taxes and ect. are being raised at amounts never before seen in the history of this city. Do I think there will be a backlash?? Yes because I am one of hundreds of thousands who is seriously considering moving because of it. Its not that I cant afford it, its I dont want to pay these ridiculous prices. I was tought the money you earn is the money you deserve. Im sorry but people who are too lazy to get up in the morning to work and corrupt politicians you throw my money around like its monopoly money dont deserve my money. I rather spend it elsewhere
Ok, but you do understand the point that this year it's also a nationwide problem, and the CTA is not as bad off as some agencies?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Ok, but you do understand the point that this year it's also a nationwide problem, and the CTA is not as bad off as some agencies?
That might be true, but the CTA has been pulling this crap EVERY SINGLE year I have been alive.

All they do is take money and squander it.

How do you think the rail system fell into its ill state?

A house cleaning is in order for the CTA's management and leadership.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That might be true, but the CTA has been pulling this crap EVERY SINGLE year I have been alive.

All they do is take money and squander it.

A house cleaning is in order for the CTA's management and leadership.
i understand that too, but another arm of the disrepair is the fact that transit in Chicago and this entire country is like the bastard child - everyone knows it's there but no one wants to take care of it.

ETA: the fact of the matter is, i'd love to get in there and try to fix some things but my hands are tied. i don't know how the hell to get in there besides going to grad school, which I'm still waiting to hear about. there, now everybody knows my big secret is that all i want to do in life is fix the CTA, despite the fact that i have not yet figured out how to become friends with Mayor Daley.

Last edited by scarletneon; 03-13-2009 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 08:02 AM

72 posts, read 167,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I think a lot of it is due to low ridership because the routes aren't very good. If every route had the same ridership as the brown line, the CTA would be in much better shape. People tend to blame every single problem in Chicago on some nonspecific squandering this, corrupt that, stealing-our-money this, but I think the problems are much deeper in the case of the CTA. Of course, better management would be more likely to make the infrastructure investments needed to improve it.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 AM

818 posts, read 2,172,466 times
The CTA= Kim Jong Ill. Every 2-3 years they send a threat (developing a nuclear devise / drastic service cuts) to (the rest of the world / the state of Illinois) in order to get a large sum of money. Once they get that money, they shut up for a little while, but continue their ****ty money management practices. When they run out of money, they repeat the process.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Anyone else catch this front-page story in the Sun-Times the other day?

CTA's bad gas bet (http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/1466855,CST-NWS-ride09.article - broken link)
I may be wrong, but I remember reading on CTA Tattler that the previous year they locked in their gas prices at an excellent rate.

I would see this as balancing out.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:18 AM

6 posts, read 7,339 times
Smile recommend a hotel

We will be visitining Chicago in August and are wanting to do the tourist stuff but are not sure were to stay and of course we are wanting to stay in a safe area. Please suggest some hotels to stay in and not to stay in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago