Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM

142 posts, read 432,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
My office does not allow women to ride the El after 9pm, any line. I think this is a bit overzealous but I understand where they are coming from.
My SIL's office downtown does the same thing... If you work past 7PM, you get a dinner voucher plus cab fare home, courtesy of the company... Must be nice!

Anyhow, I 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th?) the Brown Line.
I live on the Green line route (Oak park) and it gets pretty sketch going through the West side, particularly after dark. I've done it before... just keep my purse close to my body and mind my own business... but it's not a particularly nice ride...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
They might pay for cabs for guys, but I don't know many guys who would ask. Double standards like this don't really bother me as the El is extremely convenient for me and the biggest both is waiting the 5-10 mins for the next train.
You shouldn't have to ask. Every place I've ever worked in the Loop has automatically reimbursed for cab rides home after 7pm. It's just a perk for working all that overtime.

Why wouldn't a guy ask!? I'm a male, and I certainly take a cab home every time I'm here until 7pm or later. It's not a safety issue at all for me, it's a "what's better, 40 minutes taking the train or 20 minutes zipping up Lakeshore in a cab?"

Old 05-27-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Orange Line seems remarkably stewbum-free. Brown Line too, mostly.
Yeah, the Orange was a second choice for me as well. It's always been very "nice" every time I've taken it.

I only chose Brown because it's almost "fancy" in regards of how clean the trains are, and how well put together all the people seem to be. Especially at rush hour it's backed with little hotties going to their corporate jobs downtown. I just sit with my headphones on and lust away.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Heh, me too. Though I suspect we're not lusting after the same hotties.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM

88 posts, read 401,535 times
in for later. i need to read this thread.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heh, me too. Though I suspect we're not lusting after the same hotties.

Proooobaby not. Less competition

Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 49,888 times
I've heard before that the green line on the west side has the most incidents of theft. I would also agree that the red and green lines on the south side can be sketchy.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Not a Chicagoan, just a frequent visitor.

I have rode the Blue line from the loop to Ohare, the brown line, and the red line as far south as 47th Street and up to Belmont. The only time I ever felt even slightly uncomfortable was waiting for the Blue Line at the California stop at around 1 am.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,873,399 times
Default Toxic Toast

Try waiting on the green line at the California stop anytime of day if you want to be uncomfortable. Green line goes thru some really tough neighborhoods on the west side. I am always relieved we they run it express as 80-90% of the weekday commuter hour riders live in Oak Park and work in the loop. I wish it would not stop between Austin and Ashland, would save me 10 min each way and make for much less riff raff on the train.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM

102 posts, read 332,854 times
The brown line is probably the safest, though strangely enough, the only incident I have ever had on the train was a brown line train at like three in the afternoon. I was in a mostly empty car and got harassed and threatened by a couple of thugs.

I recommend always trying to pick a car that has plenty of people in it, especially during off peak hours. As others have said though, just look out for pick-pockets. My girlfriend had her wallet stolen right out of her backpack without even noticing at the Belmont Red/Brown line platform only two weeks after moving to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago