Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've seen posts asking, "why become a Christian if all will be saved in the end anyway?"
Well, coming from an unbeliever, I can understand this POV. But a Christian should be able to grasp this easily, IMO.

This is how God saves:
He calls the person He wants to save, and that person responds to the call in his/her heart to be saved/seek God.
As a result, the individual's life changes noticeably. For example, when I got "called" and "responded," I then received what I consider a "baptism in the Holy Ghost." I was filled with joy. I remember the experience well, and I can say that it is the BEST experience I've ever had so far in my life.
How do I know it was from God? Look at the fruits: I began to pray for hours! It was a joy to pray! I liked talking about Jesus to people, and posting things about Him on my dorm room door. (People thought I was "going off the deep end.")
I also felt noticeably less "attached" to the things of the world. It didn't mean that I didn't enjoy pizza anymore, only that I could do without it and not suffer. The Lord became my first thought of the day, the last thought before bed; in a word, my ALL. I was IN LOVE!

Now this transition is a witness to the world. And God calls others to "seek Him" through believers. But God is not revealing Himself to the world right now. It is not His time.
But in the fullness of time, when the time of the gentiles is fulfilled, then some say THAT is when the coming/presence of the Son of God will come "as lightning that lights the sky from west to east." Multitudes will be converted, perhaps whole nations at a time.

The point is that it's God's move, not ours. And right now He is revealing Himself only to individuals, not to the whole world. Those of us who are blessed to have been "given" this salvation can rejoice to know that it is GOD's work, and He will have His desire fulfilled!

Blessings to all,
brian

Ps. I'm gonna start the "Book of Job" thread soon! Even though I'm not a great writer..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
I've seen posts asking, "why become a Christian if all will be saved in the end anyway?"
Well, coming from an unbeliever, I can understand this POV. But a Christian should be able to grasp this easily, IMO.

This is how God saves:
He calls the person He wants to save, and that person responds to the call in his/her heart to be saved/seek God.
As a result, the individual's life changes noticeably. For example, when I got "called" and "responded," I then received what I consider a "baptism in the Holy Ghost." I was filled with joy. I remember the experience well, and I can say that it is the BEST experience I've ever had so far in my life.
How do I know it was from God? Look at the fruits: I began to pray for hours! It was a joy to pray! I liked talking about Jesus to people, and posting things about Him on my dorm room door. (People thought I was "going off the deep end.")
I also felt noticeably less "attached" to the things of the world. It didn't mean that I didn't enjoy pizza anymore, only that I could do without it and not suffer. The Lord became my first thought of the day, the last thought before bed; in a word, my ALL. I was IN LOVE!

Now this transition is a witness to the world. And God calls others to "seek Him" through believers. But God is not revealing Himself to the world right now. It is not His time.
But in the fullness of time, when the time of the gentiles is fulfilled, then some say THAT is when the coming/presence of the Son of God will come "as lightning that lights the sky from west to east." Multitudes will be converted, perhaps whole nations at a time.

The point is that it's God's move, not ours. And right now He is revealing Himself only to individuals, not to the whole world. Those of us who are blessed to have been "given" this salvation can rejoice to know that it is GOD's work, and He will have His desire fulfilled!

Blessings to all,
brian

Ps. I'm gonna start the "Book of Job" thread soon! Even though I'm not a great writer..!
I am looking forward to the study on the book of Job. That is one of my fave OT books.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
So why are you an unbeliever?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I am looking forward to the study on the book of Job. That is one of my fave OT books.
I should reread Job. I'm a bit rusty, but I do remember that it's a good book.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Eby answered the question of why we should preach:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13317917-post1.html

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
So why are you an unbeliever?
No! I mean, an unbeliever who says "what's the point of being a Christian?" I can understand.
But a believer knows the joy, the love, the peace that passes all understanding.

blessings,
brian

Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Eby answered the question of why we should preach:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13317917-post1.html
That's it!

blessings!
brian

Old 06-09-2010, 01:05 PM

[quote=ahigherway;14543052]
Well, coming from an unbeliever, I can understand this POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
No! I mean, an unbeliever who says "what's the point of being a Christian?" I can understand.
But a believer knows the joy, the love, the peace that passes all understanding.

blessings,
brian
Sorry, I was very confused. When you wrote, "Coming from an unbeliever" I thought you meant you were the unbeliever, but then in the next paragraphs you wrote about being a believer so I was so lost. I gotcha now

Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
That's why it says: "God is the saviour of all mankind, ESPECIALLY them that believe" 1 Timothy 4:10.

And "each in his own order" (1 Corinthians 15:22-28).

God is choosing and giving faith to the select few NOW for life through the ages to come.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
God is choosing and giving faith to the select few NOW for life through the ages to come.
That gives us purpose to be consumed with His life - tabernacles of the Most High - for creation is waiting for you-know-who. (Rom 8:19)

Not the rapture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity