Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 09:55 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
They are predicting 2 to 6 foot of snow around Ny in a couple days, people die in stuff like that. I wonder how many house collapse at 4 feet. Hope everyone up north is prepared are warned
The snow is mostly lake-effect and in the Buffalo area, which is pretty used to this. My daughter and her best friend, who lives in Buffalo, are off for a week in WDW in Florida. He left Buffalo yesterday and went to her place in Pittsburgh because they were closing the NY Thruway.

I am on the other side of Lake Ontario from Buffalo. We had a light dusting this morning, and now the sky is blue with fluffy white clouds, but if I look south toward the lake, I can see nothing but clouds over there. For some reason, the lake effect tends to go south rather than north.

But I've gotten caught in a couple of lake-effect storms while driving in upstate NY. You'll just be tooling along, la-di-da, blue skies, and what looks like heavy fog suddenly appears ahead and BAM, you go from blue and clear to driving in a blizzard in seconds. Can barely see the taillights of the car in front of you, can't see road signs, can't see much of anything, but you have to keep going, slowly. In about ten, fifteen minutes, it starts to lighten and then there you are, back out driving in blue skies again.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:35 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The snow is mostly lake-effect and in the Buffalo area, which is pretty used to this. My daughter and her best friend, who lives in Buffalo, are off for a week in WDW in Florida. He left Buffalo yesterday and went to her place in Pittsburgh because they were closing the NY Thruway.

I am on the other side of Lake Ontario from Buffalo. We had a light dusting this morning, and now the sky is blue with fluffy white clouds, but if I look south toward the lake, I can see nothing but clouds over there. For some reason, the lake effect tends to go south rather than north.

But I've gotten caught in a couple of lake-effect storms while driving in upstate NY. You'll just be tooling along, la-di-da, blue skies, and what looks like heavy fog suddenly appears ahead and BAM, you go from blue and clear to driving in a blizzard in seconds. Can barely see the taillights of the car in front of you, can't see road signs, can't see much of anything, but you have to keep going, slowly. In about ten, fifteen minutes, it starts to lighten and then there you are, back out driving in blue skies again.
Thats where I thought you were, if it snowed 4 feet in Houston, half the population would die, they wouldn't have the roads operating for two weeks from all the wrecked cars, it would be the apocalypse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Thats where I thought you were, if it snowed 4 feet in Houston, half the population would die, they wouldn't have the roads operating for two weeks from all the wrecked cars, it would be the apocalypse.
I'm on the same lake as Buffalo is, but I'm on the north side of it.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:25 AM

332 posts, read 84,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I wonder if it is wise to have some extra food and some that we can donate if it does go up.
Yes, it is always good to be prepared. Build up a supply of necessities gradually. When everyone else is panicking is not the time. I like your generous attitude.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm on the same lake as Buffalo is, but I'm on the north side of it.
Its going to be historic there somewhere, I havent seen the news today, but they were talking about historic stuff last night.

What I would hate is the snow thunder, hey, last night somebody reported a snow tornado, how cool right, I mean if it didnt hurt nobody, a freaking snow tornado lol.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolympus View Post
Yes, it is always good to be prepared. Build up a supply of necessities gradually. When everyone else is panicking is not the time. I like your generous attitude.
I cant go to the store lest I buy at least two giant Hershey's syrup, and a few 5 pound boxes of pancake mix, giant maple syrup, and several large coffees and I am about to buy an extra feezer to hold strawberries.

I am an obsessive compulsive real bad, I cant walk into wally world without having to buy chocolate syrup.

I could fill a bathtub with the stuff, but thats been an ongoing obsession.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:47 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:

I live in Birmingham. We once had a freak snowstorm, an absolute blizzard even by Minneapolis standards, in 1993. It even came with a raging thunderstorm.

At dawn, I walked outside with a yardstick and measured 18 inches on our front walk. Eighteen inches. I couldn't have been more surprised if it had rained frogs instead.

Mind you, in Alabama, any accumulation is a disaster because we have no snow clearing equipment. Typically, whenever we get snow, it's a half-inch that melts by noon. We just stay inside and wait it out, drinking Bloody Marys. The maternity wards fill up 40 weeks later.

If eighteen inches was the Snowpocalypse to us, then I can't even begin to wrap my head around four feet.

Old 11-27-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I live in Birmingham. We once had a freak snowstorm, an absolute blizzard even by Minneapolis standards, in 1993. It even came with a raging thunderstorm.

At dawn, I walked outside with a yardstick and measured 18 inches on our front walk. Eighteen inches. I couldn't have been more surprised if it had rained frogs instead.

Mind you, in Alabama, any accumulation is a disaster because we have no snow clearing equipment. Typically, whenever we get snow, it's a half-inch that melts by noon. We just stay inside and wait it out, drinking Bloody Marys. The maternity wards fill up 40 weeks later.

If eighteen inches was the Snowpocalypse to us, then I can't even begin to wrap my head around four feet.
It was interesting watching the Buffalo news from 50 miles away to see how they prepped. One thing they did differently this time was position snow removal equipment in different sections in advance instead of keeping it all in its usual facility, in order to facilitate a quicker cleaning that didn't leave some areas untouched for much longer than others.

Having worked all my life in the northeast for an authority that owned and operated public facilities, including airports and bridges, I can assure you that snow removal management is something that is thought out in advance and constantly being improved upon.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:16 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,806,215 times
Reading your Posts, reminds me of my brother who lives in Oklahoma City, ice, ice storms ? !

Also, drivers who don't know how to drive in snow.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:49 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Originally Posted by HSong
Quote:
Hi Meerykat2 my friend. Thank you for your response. It's been really tough, these last couple days. People online who I thought supported me, are now against me, on other forums. But I'm glad all of you on this forum are really friendly and kind

Your words are true. When I was growing up in this Christian household, I went to church, but didn't believe in Christ, I wasn't saved. Eventually, I admitted to my mother I was a nihilist. She rebuked me, in kindness of course, that there is meaning in this world. And at the time, I didn't understand, but now I do, and I'm thankful for her rebuke. It saved me from committing suicide.

So yes, it really does seem she has troubles fitting into the environment. She's a minor, below 18, so her brain biologically would still be developing. I don't blame her for her feelings, because I was just like her when I was younger.

Yes, my mother and my father both believe in Eternal Torment, but I believe in Universal Reconciliation. They don't talk about hell often, but when they do, I try to lovingly correct them with Sheol, realm of the dead, as where people go when they die.

Thank you for sharing your experience in the AOG church. My sister also mentions hell, but it's hard to know if I've been explaining the whole "Everyone goes to Heaven through Christ" concept properly that she understands it. She doesn't explicitly say that "hell is forever" just like, the word hell, if that makes sense. So I'm hoping to dedicate more time to explaining UR to her, in more detail.

I've tried to explain it to my mother and father at least, but they reject it. Again, I don't blame them. I used to believe in ET too. And believing in UR really flips your whole world view, for the better of course. That' why I try to be kind towards those who believe in ET, I used to be one of them
I changed my mind and deleted my original post to you

I’m not sure that at this stage you should be trying to convince you sister of UR though - it sounds like this is a personal not religious thing about her relationship to others outside the family

I believe we all have our own internal compass so to speak that will guide us individually and personally to where we fit within various societal relationships and she needs to figure it out herself with you and your family to support her

I believe your family is doing good with speaking with her about how she is feeling, it will allow her to work things out

As her brother what she needs from you is the knowledge that you understand or are trying to understand her personal experiences she is having with her relationships with others outside the family, and help her to navigate them

What can happen is the personal and religious things can get mixed up and throw people out of balance so to speak, and they lose their own ‘compass’

Last edited by Meerkat2; 02-13-2023 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity