Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Because God fixed that misconception by revealing who he was in his son.

Jesus said if you have seen me(the reality of what God is really like) you have seen the Father.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ

Man never had this prior to the coming of Jesus.

This argument is used with the muslims too. The newest religion corrects the corruption of the one that came before.

I say that the 2 new religions need to delegitimize the one that was first because otherwise they cannot claim to be the only truth.

Jesus a practicing Jew who lived and died a Jew somehow corrected the book he studied and knew so well.

Christians say the nt is the new covenant.

Muslims say the Qur'an corrected the old and new testaments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
There was a family who lived down my street when i was a young kid, who got the blame for everything, if somebody's window got put through,it was there fault, something went missing it was there fault,i think the writers of the Old Testament had the same mentality, blame Uncle James for everything.They never understood the principle of sowing and reaping.
That is what everyone misses and the entire OT shows the patience of God and the many warnings of God and the true ignorance of man.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
This argument is used with the muslims too. The newest religion corrects the corruption of the one that came before.

I say that the 2 new religions need to delegitimize the one that was first because otherwise they cannot claim to be the only truth.

Jesus a practicing Jew who lived and died a Jew somehow corrected the book he studied and knew so well.

Not corrected but clarified, nothing was changed just fullfilled and clarified.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
So, this is in effect says that the Jewish scriptures (believed to be a revealed religion) is based on misconceptions of god??? I think I recall Jesus quoting some of its passages and referencing them so which areas are not misconceptions and which ones are?
I think i already touched on this on my 2nd post on here, man has a tendency to blame everything on God,forgetting he reaps what he sows.I believe this reflected in the Old Testament writings.

Man as passed the buck for his own faults right from the beginning, it's right there in Genesis 3, Adam blamed God.The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

Jesus did quote OT scripture . He also corrected and rebuked James and John for their misconception of who God is, when they called for fire from heaven like Elijad did, by telling them they did not know what spirit they were of.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I'm not correcting anything . It's how i see things and how you see things.
The men who were on the road to Damascus with Saul heard something but didn't see anything,this is where our misconceptions come from, trying to interpret what we don't understand.
Have you ever considered Jesus ?,how do you expect me to take you serious on your put down of the New Testament unless you have openly and seriously considered him ?.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:

Very good observation. I've been pointing this out for years. Even Judaism had to de-legitimize other contemporary religions/cults around it to then proclaim itself as the only correct version of god. It is a trend in religion and as you rightfully pointed out, Christianity and Islam had to do the same thing. Of course! Why pay attention to your NEW religion if you think mine is fine as is?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Because God fixed that misconception by revealing who he was in his son.

Jesus said if you have seen me(the reality of what God is really like) you have seen the Father.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ

Man never had this prior to the coming of Jesus.
Hmmm....you're riding a very slippery slope claiming that half of the bible, a book which is alleged to be divinely inspired, was somehow wrong and had to be corrected.

So which parts and wrong and which parts are right...who gets to decide?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hmmm....you're riding a very slippery slope claiming that half of the bible, a book which is alleged to be divinely inspired, was somehow wrong and had to be corrected.

I never said that.

I said men blamed God for what they were guilty of themselves, like i have already said, man as blamed God from the beginning. Even the unbeliever does it.

The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” Genesis 3 verse 12.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

Not corrected but clarified. The OT was written as an account of God dealing with man and even shows how man misunderstood God repeatedly.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:12 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
I never said that.

I said men blamed God for what they were guilty of themselves, like i have already said, man as blamed God from the beginning. Even the unbeliever does it.

The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.” Genesis 3 verse 12.
Come on now....there are many parts in the OT where God specifically gives instructions for massive amounts of genocide to be performed by his chosen ones...are you now claiming that they were all mistaken when they wrote these things down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity