Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:07 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,016,357 times

Advertisements

I've said here before that for some Christians, the Old Testament is like that drunk, perverted uncle the some family members want to keep hidden in a closet and hopes no one notices he exists. They don't want to have to explain him or why he did the things he did in the past. He's an embarrassment and has a less than glorious paper trail full of felonies.

Some of the family members want to distance themselves from him as far as possible. They claim they don't know him or used to know him but disowned him. Others say they about him but are not interested in knowing him in the slightest. He also has a bad smell. There are also rumors that he may have a few dead bodies lying around too.

Then there are those in the family who find him relevant. They feel the need to clean him up and come up with explanations about some of the incoherent babble he comes up with. Sometimes he comes up with the most inappropriate, sexist, uncivilized nonsense and the family members who still associate with him have to keep spinning out excuses.

"Oh, that was him years ago and while we don't agree with what he used to say, WE on the other hand see life different. We don't agree with much of what he used to say, but hey, he did say some pretty nice things from time to time. Have you checked out his poetry? They read just like those biblical Psalms."

Other family members actually like what he says and sees no problems with what he says. They claim that his sometimes hateful vitriol is right on point and that more people need to be like him. Heck, they even become champions of his views. They see current and future relevance to what he has to say. Their own personal views hold no water without leaning on those of good old controversial uncle James.

As a result, we have a family that CAN'T agree on uncle James. They even argue about him and accuse each other of all kinds of things. The folks in the peanut gallery just look on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I've said here before that for some Christians, the Old Testament is like that drunk, perverted uncle the some family members want to keep hidden in a closet and hopes no one notices he exists. They don't want to have to explain him or why he did the things he did in the past. He's an embarrassment and has a less than glorious paper trail full of felonies.

Some of the family members want to distance themselves from him as far as possible. They claim they don't know him or used to know him but disowned him. Others say they about him but are not interested in knowing him in the slightest. He also has a bad smell. There are also rumors that he may have a few dead bodies lying around too.

Then there are those in the family who find him relevant. They feel the need to clean him up and come up with explanations about some of the incoherent babble he comes up with. Sometimes he comes up with the most inappropriate, sexist, uncivilized nonsense and the family members who still associate with him have to keep spinning out excuses.

"Oh, that was him years ago and while we don't agree with what he used to say, WE on the other hand see life different. We don't agree with much of what he used to say, but hey, he did say some pretty nice things from time to time. Have you checked out his poetry? They read just like those biblical Psalms."

Other family members actually like what he says and sees no problems with what he says. They claim that his sometimes hateful vitriol is right on point and that more people need to be like him. Heck, they even become champions of his views. They see current and future relevance to what he has to say. Their own personal views hold no water without leaning on those of good old controversial uncle James.

As a result, we have a family that CAN'T agree on uncle James. They even argue about him and accuse each other of all kinds of things. The folks in the peanut gallery just look on.
You're good

Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 AM

There was a family who lived down my street when i was a young kid, who got the blame for everything, if somebody's window got put through,it was there fault, something went missing it was there fault,i think the writers of the Old Testament had the same mentality, blame Uncle James for everything.They never understood the principle of sowing and reaping.

Last edited by pcamps; 12-20-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Well put!

He is brought out when useful and put away after. Liked yet hated. Part of the family yet not quite. They can't live with him yet don't really want to live without him.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 AM

This is what I come up with when I am still half asleep at 5 in the morning. I just wish I would get into the habit of double-checking my writing. I'm so lazy about that.

I just thought I would put that up to highlight something I see here all the time. For those who completely ignore the OT for the NT, who then is this Jesus guy it speaks of? I understand those who need to believe in the OT to continue holding up the idea that he was foretold, but what about the few of those who claim they don't give the OT any credence? How do they explain Jesus as MORE than just a mere man who said some nice things here and there? Was he just another great philosopher, an enlightened individual or just another great teacher? If he was just that, how do we reconcile all of those ultimate titles he is given in the New Testament that one would think is reserved for deity?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,223,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You're good
And gives an extremely accurate description as well!!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
And gives an extremely accurate description as well!!
It's an accurate description of the misconception of God put down in word.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,223,765 times
Quote:
It's an accurate description of the misconception of God put down in word.
OK...so according to you and many others, I might add, the OT is a misconception of God put down in word by the men who wrote it. Based on that...how did the NT escape the same misconception, given that it was also written by men?

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 12-20-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
OK...so according to you and many others, I might add, the OT is a misconception of God put down in word by the men who wrote. Based on that...how did the NT escape the same misconception, given that it was also written by men?
Because God fixed that misconception by revealing who he was in his son.

Jesus said if you have seen me(the reality of what God is really like) you have seen the Father.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ

Man never had this prior to the coming of Jesus.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Because God fixed that misconception by revealing who he was in his son.

Jesus said if you have seen me(the reality of what God is really like) you have seen the Father.

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ

Man never had this prior to the coming of Jesus.
So, this is in effect says that the Jewish scriptures (believed to be a revealed religion) is based on misconceptions of god??? I think I recall Jesus quoting some of its passages and referencing them so which areas are not misconceptions and which ones are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity