Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Maybe if they were here today they would be televangelists

JK
Not a chance.
Freedom of religion, freedom of thought, freedom of speech were not allowed in Calvin's Geneva.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The OP has two pieces. The statement that Calvin killed a man (something I didn't previously know) and the second was what churches teach his views.

So you asked what motives. The motive of mentioning that Calvin killed a man is something I didn't previously know and think many others may not know it either. So the motive was to bring that to the attention of others (I felt the motive was a bit obvious). Secondly to ask what churches teach his views. The motive there is to find out what churches teach his views.

Now, I'll ask you what your motive is for being so sensitive about my bring up the point that Calvin killed a man. Are you a follower of Calvin or one of the churches that teach his views?
No, I am not a follower, nor go to any of the churches...... sensitive, you bet..... Why ? It seems there is a group here that keeps throwing in the faces of other's ..."He who is without sin cast the first stone" am I not right ???
Don't you believe God forgives ???
Are we to keep throwing up other's sin ??? God forgives and forgets does he not ??
Are we not to love our neighbor ?? Or keep digging to find their short comings ???

And MysticPhD prove my point quite well......

Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I don't think you can say that any man has 'no light within'. That's not a productive way of looking at the darkness that plagues humanity. What is the difference, frankly in Calvin feeling justified in having Michael Servetus burned alive and the doctrine of ET being taught in our churches today? That is why I find John Calvin so distasteful, as well as the fact that he is (not surprisingly) the father of the T.U.L.I.P. doctrine. The Protestants brought plenty of wicked stuff with them when they came out of the Roman Catholic church.
That "Light" was in Calvin from the moment he came into the world, as that Light is the Light that lightens every man that comes into the world. But refusing to seek that Light that lightens every man, or rejection of that Light in a man's conscience, over time known to God alone, gets the name of a man blotted out of the Book of Life. When the name is blotted out, there is no more light in that one, and they can never be re-written in that Book of Life. Their end is without remedy for redemption in Christ, after the blotting out of the name.

Calvin's end was without light, and he died without repentance or remorse for his wickedness, having long before hardened himself against all Truth and Light, as revealed by his own preserved letters.

Some mens sins are open beforehand, going before them into the judgment, and others follow after. Calvin's open beforehand sins and his following after sins -seen by the letters he wrote of all the heartlessnes he did in the name of his own invented doctrines not found in the Word of Jesus Christ- show us that his name was at some point blotted out of the Book of Life.

1Ti 5:24 Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some [men] they follow after. 1Ti 5:25 Likewise also the good works [of some] are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

Scripture teaches us that one either gets their sins blotted out of the Book of Deeds by repentance of those sins, confession of them and forsaking of them, or else, if not, then one gets their names blotted out of the Book of Life for the rejection of the Holy Spirit's Conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment in their lives, over the course of their lives lived in their Adam flesh.
No unrepentant murderer inherits eternal life, and to the end, Calvin was unrepentant, being a "law unto himself", and in his pride, never humbling himself before the LORD of Grace and Glory.
Satan was the father of Calvin just as Satan was the father of those who willfully killed Jesus Christ by having Him put to death by Rome, with false accusations.
Expect Servetes to be in heaven, but not Calvin, by their own testimonies out of their own mouths, while they lived in their bodies, as recorded in the histories.

Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

No one can in any honesty compare Moses to Calvin, for Moses was a prince in Egypt, and was called to be the deliverer of his people from Egyptian slavery. Moses defended his own people by smiting the slavemaster who was injuring his brethren. Moses thought the Israelites understood that he was the called deliverer, as his birth was foretold as such, before his conception, by his own sister, Miriam, whose prophecy was recorded in the ancient history. But Moses discovered [after that], that he was not going to deliver his people by his own hand, and that the call was supernatural, and the delvirance would be supernatural.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 PM

biblestudying.net (http://www.biblestudying.net/johncalvin.html - broken link)

Quote:
Make no mistake, history clearly records that Calvin both directly and indirectly had both men and women jailed, tortured, and executed. He not only approved of such practices, he instigated them.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Who is calling evil good and good evil ????
All those who believe the OT descriptions of the evil acts and motivations attributed to God are good because it is God who supposedly did them or ordered them. Evil is evil and the only source of evil is Satan. Evil can never be Good just because our ancestors believed it was done or ordered by God. If we do not have the independent ability to recognize evil on our own (devoid of the"precepts and doctrines of men") . . . we are failing to mature in our spiritual development.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
biblestudying.net (http://www.biblestudying.net/johncalvin.html - broken link)
That is between God and Calvin..... Moderator cut: attacking]

It seems people are pointing out his, condemning him..... what did Jesus say to those who were condemning the prostitute ???

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-17-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:
No, I am not a follower, nor go to any of the churches...... sensitive, you bet..... Why ? It seems there is a group here that keeps throwing in the faces of other's ..."He who is without sin cast the first stone" am I not right ???
Don't you believe God forgives ???
Are we to keep throwing up other's sin ??? God forgives and forgets does he not ??
Are we not to love our neighbor ?? Or keep digging to find their short comings ???

And MysticPhD prove my point quite well......
Cyber Munchkin, I believe I'm a sinner, I believe I mudered Jesus Christ the very Son of God. I'm the pedophile, the thief, the rapist, the baby killer, I think that I'm Satan and that the very purpose that Jesus came was to destroy MY works.

I do indeed believe God forgives. But that doesn't change the fact that Calvin murdered a man and murder is not a trait of the Holy Spirit.

I have all the confidence that John Calvin will be with me in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
That "Light" was in Calvin from the moment he came into the world, as that Light is the Light that lightens every man that comes into the world. But refusing to seek that Light that lightens every man, or rejection of that Light in a man's conscience, over time known to God alone, gets the name of a man blotted out of the Book of Life. When the name is blotted out, there is no more light in that one, and they can never be re-written in that Book of Life. Their end is without remedy for redemption in Christ, after the blotting out of the name.

Calvin's end was without light, and he died without repentance or remorse for his wickedness, having long before hardened himself against all Truth and Light, as revealed by his own preserved letters.

Some mens sins are open beforehand, going before them into the judgment, and others follow after. Calvin's open beforehand sins and his following after sins -seen by the letters he wrote of all the heartlessnes he did in the name of his own invented doctrines not found in the Word of Jesus Christ- show us that his name was at some point blotted out of the Book of Life.

1Ti 5:24 Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some [men] they follow after. 1Ti 5:25 Likewise also the good works [of some] are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

Scripture teaches us that one either gets their sins blotted out of the Book of Deeds by repentance of those sins, confession of them and forsaking of them, or else, if not, then one gets their names blotted out of the Book of Life for the rejection of the Holy Spirit's Conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment in their lives, over the course of their lives lived in their Adam flesh.
No unrepentant murderer inherits eternal life, and to the end, Calvin was unrepentant, being a "law unto himself", and in his pride, never humbling himself before the LORD of Grace and Glory.
Satan was the father of Calvin just as Satan was the father of those who willfully killed Jesus Christ by having Him put to death by Rome, with false accusations.
Expect Servetes to be in heaven, but not Calvin, by their own testimonies out of their own mouths, while they lived in their bodies, as recorded in the histories.

Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

No one can in any honesty compare Moses to Calvin, for Moses was a prince in Egypt, and was called to be the deliverer of his people from Egyptian slavery. Moses defended his own people by smiting the slavemaster who was injuring his brethren. Moses thought the Israelites understood that he was the called deliverer, as his birth was foretold as such, before his conception, by his own sister, Miriam, whose prophecy was recorded in the ancient history. But Moses discovered [after that], that he was not going to deliver his people by his own hand, and that the call was supernatural, and the delvirance would be supernatural.
The scriptures is clear. We sin - our names are blotted out. We have all been blotted out.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
I've never heard that Calvin killed a man. I'm actually a Calvinist theologically, and I've never heard of that. Is that confirmed, or just a rumor made to discredit Calvinism?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
That is between God and Calvin.....

It seems people are pointing out his, condemning him..... what did Jesus say to those who were condemning the prostitute ???
Condemning him? I never condemned him. I pointed out that John Calvin killed a man.

Is this condemning?:

ct 9:13 Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:

Was Ananias condemning Paul? Not at all, he was pointing out that Paul had done evil to the saints at Jerusalem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity