Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well I think June (and I'm talking about June because her name IS in the title of thread and in the context of your post) is a fine, upstanding atheist individual and I could care less if she's atheist or martian, I mean Christian. She shows more of the love of Christ than a lot of the so-called Christians here do, that's a fact.
Good one Ilene...-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Well I think June (and I'm talking about June because her name IS in the title of thread and in the context of your post) is a fine, upstanding atheist individual and I could care less if she's atheist or martian, I mean Christian. She shows more of the love of Christ than a lot of the so-called Christians here do, that's a fact.

Eyewrist, I remember you and you may remember me better as DayoftheLord. I wasn't able to change anyone's mind as the beligerant ETer that I used to be, and imo ET and it's proponents are batting 1000 as far as recruiting converts. It just doesn't work. Maybe you should ask JUNE what theology is most appealing to her as an atheist, and who would be more likely to "convert" her.

I personally think that is up to God. But there are definitely better ways to plant the seeds.
Yes, I do remember you under DOTL. I have no problem with June, it's the "christians" who are planting seeds here for someone such as herself that they already chewed up and spit out for someone like her to try accept as 'food' good to eat.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Well I think June (and I'm talking about June because her name IS in the title of thread and in the context of your post) is a fine, upstanding atheist individual and I could care less if she's atheist or martian, I mean Christian.
So much for loving your neighbor as yourself.
We who think of June as our neighbor do care that she is a atheist.

Think about ..... it's impossible to be a atheist in heaven

Quote:
She shows more of the love of Christ than a lot of the so-called Christians here do, that's a fact.
No..what's a fact is that it's quite possible to forgo the truth.
No.. what's a fact is that
Acts 28:24
Some were convinced by what he said, but others would not believe.

Luke 16:31
" ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, (the Bible) they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’

Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm sorry - perhaps it is because I do not know you but it just sounded kind of mean spirited to me. I think - since it is quite apparent that I'm not the only one who thought this way - maybe you didn't make it clear that you did not indeed think she was just trying to ruffle people's feathers. I understand about having a different mindset - but when starting a thread - it is best perhaps to be as clear as possible that way problems like this do not arise. Like I said, I seem to be in the majority, not the minority here. I'm sorry if I did not take your post in the manner in which it was meant.
And this isn't about who knows June best or who knows June the longest - it's not a competition.
But this the point of the OP; everyone here is on the defensive ready to take offense of ANY statement made here without looking with a more complete, positive, ready to listen attitude. Everyone has gotten so used to it that it has become normal and accepted...all guns are loaded and ready to shot at first sight

Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
But this the point of the OP; everyone here is on the defensive ready to take offense of ANY statement made here without looking with a more complete, positive, ready to listen attitude. Everyone has gotten so used to it that it has become normal and accepted...all guns are loaded and ready to shot at first sight
I have no guns in the ready...only love and compassion...and perhaps a little humor to lighten up the day, I pray.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I respectfully agree to disagree with you. I've reread the OP several times - and whether it was your intent or not - it doesn't sound very understanding. You can call me whatever names you want to - that's fine. I'm not saying you are a bad person - I'm simply saying that your OP doesn't come off the way that you think it does. It implies that you think that the people here aren't good Christians because they have failed to convert an atheist, unless the atheist is stubbornly remaining an atheist just to ruffle feathers. To me - this says (as most of your posts do as well) that you do not approve of the Christians that are posting here. This also says that you do not approve of people being and remaining atheists. Like I said, I've read the OP many, many times - and this is what it seems to say to me. I didn't know you at all before I read the post - so I wasn't biased against you in any way. But like I said, I agree to disagree. We all see things differently.

Honestly, if you are unhappy here - then I would think that you have two options. 1- You could start some threads that you seem to be missing - start some bible study threads or some friendly threads. Visit the non-debate friendship thread - it's great! I spend a lot of time there. Or 2 - you could just move on and decide that this isn't the forum for you anymore. There's nothing in wrong in not posting on a forum that you no longer enjoy.

You know - there have been some restaurants that I've been to many, many years ago where I remember having the most amazing meals. Yet, sometimes, when I go back to one of these places, the food fails to live up to my memory of it. Perhaps my tastes have changed, perhaps the chefs have changed, perhaps I revisited the restaurant on a bad night. These things happen.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
I think you are stepping way over the line of basing what June believes in based on your assumptions about a god that she does not believe in.

That said you also need to recognize that June is sure a hell of a lot less judgmental than the majority of the so called christians that freely express their judgment about others here, primarily about other christians.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
No, I did not accuse June of anything. I knew June before you did on this forum. It was a rhetorical statement of "ruffling feathers" I did not say "plucking them out." You must read my OP with a different mindset because the key question is in the last sentence; not the prior.
Quote:
I haven't been here for some time and recently began to post a wee bit. I have participated in threads with June, the atheist and others, the dieheart Chiristians. But I have to ask why have we NOT been effective at changing her point of God, or should I say converted her as some of you all would say?
She meanders through, pops in and out of various Christian threads...my gosh she's even a Moderater for the R&P/Christianity for Pete's sake!!!! But why have we NOT been able to change her point of view; it has been 3 years working on 4 years people.....What's up with that???

Are we a poor example of Chrisitanity and she is glad to not be a part of(besides monitoring us) or she choose to remain an atheist just to ruffle some peoples' feather here. Just asking
Quote:
Eyewrist, I agree wholeheartedly with that .... but when people are defensive and you know that they are, it is not productive to say something that is very likely to get a reaction (like implying that June continues to be an atheist because of the posters on this form) -- it is like poking a hornets nest don't you think? We need threads with a different focus - What it sounds like to me (and probably others going by the responses) is that you are being critical of most, if not all, of the posters on this forum.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Eyewrist, I agree wholeheartedly with that .... but when people are defensive and you know that they are, it is not productive to say something that is very likely to get a reaction (like implying that June continues to be an atheist because of the posters on this form) -- it is like poking a hornets nest don't you think? We need threads with a different focus - What it sounds like to me (and probably others going by the responses) is that you are being critical of most, if not all, of the posters on this forum.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I have no guns in the ready...only love and compassion...and perhaps a little humor to lighten up the day, I pray.
ahhhh spread that love around ... we do need some!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity