Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times

Advertisements

It is not morally right to celebrate his death and I have found it quite disturbing that so many people are ready to rejoice at it. The evil behind which Osama stood for wills till live on... ONE man was killed.. the evil was not.

It is not justice to the families who have lost loved ones over this entire ordeal but perhaps it will give them some peace of mind and closure. As humans we strive for a "bad guy" to exact justive upon. Osama was that bad guy. Now that bad guy has been eliminated many feel the need to rejoice as it has lifted a weight off their shoulders.. They just fail to realize that the evil still lives on and as humans we will need to wait to pin the evil on another idol.

I am glad that a bit of that evil has left the world though, but I do not rejoice at the death of a man - evil or not.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This question has been on my mind today. My initial reaction to the cheering in the streets was a feeling of embarrassment.

Is it morally right to celebrate bin Laden's death?
Only if it's done for the right reasons. We are here temporarily. To gain experience. When we take anothers life, no matter what they have done, we should not celebrate that aspect. However, since I am not yet perfect, I do believe that an habitual criminal would be better off in the spirit world. It doesn't mean I wish death to them all. When we pass to the next world, it is a gift and one that should be celebrated as that is our rightful place to finish out our existance.

Death isn't easy for anyone as we become attached to our friends and family. It's even harder when the enemy is the one dying and we remain at a loss for thought because we have not yet learned to Love the way that God loves.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I hate to repeat myself . . . but this seems to be necessary. Your zeal for the guidance of Christ is one thing . . . the lack of reality orientation is disturbing however. We are NOT Jesus . . . this is not heaven and God's will does not yet rule here. We do. We have Dominion . . . but that means ALL of us and most of us are not very Christlike. That must be dealt with and we do not have God's power to convert them all to Christ's example . . . including ourselves. We are ONLY people who live in a real world with real people and real issues . . so any idealistic claptrap and judgmental condemnation FOR ANY REASON (Christian or not) is not helpful.

Establishing principles for our nation, setting idealistic goals and striving for them is one thing . . . pretending they have been achieved or should have been and condemning the measures we take because they have NOT been achieved is quite another. I would say that idealists need to grow up . . . but I fear the judgmental attitudes are NOT from youthful idealism . . . which somehow makes it worse.

No one disagrees with the ideals . . . that seems to be something too many idealists cannot get through their heads, The true enigma is getting there and the impediments (very real human impediments) that idealists ignore as if they were of no consequence. If some idealist has some hidden Godly power they have not revealed to us whereby they can transform humanity in a flash or with a bolt of lightning or whatever . . . be our guest. Otherwise live in the real world and do the best you can to stay off your high horse and struggle with the rest of us stuck down here in the mud of humanity.
Maybe u r the one who needs to take your own advice. If u think the horse is too high don't wallow in the dirt

Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,330,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
It is not morally right to celebrate his death and I have found it quite disturbing that so many people are ready to rejoice at it. The evil behind which Osama stood for wills till live on... ONE man was killed.. the evil was not.

It is not justice to the families who have lost loved ones over this entire ordeal but perhaps it will give them some peace of mind and closure. As humans we strive for a "bad guy" to exact justive upon. Osama was that bad guy. Now that bad guy has been eliminated many feel the need to rejoice as it has lifted a weight off their shoulders.. They just fail to realize that the evil still lives on and as humans we will need to wait to pin the evil on another idol.

I am glad that a bit of that evil has left the world though, but I do not rejoice at the death of a man - evil or not.
I think I agree with u... I can rejoice over the Military operation and show patriotic pride and I can be happy that people got the closure and or peace they needed to that end without dancing on someone's grave. We do have power over how we live our lives... There is no moral high horse in that.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
"Scripture tells us that it's wrong to gloat and celebrate over these types of things:
Pro 24:17 Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth:
Pro 24:18 Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him.

Best not to do it.."

Amen.... totally agree !!!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Interestingly, John Piper wrote a blog about this. I think it's very interesting, food for thought.

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/post...in-ladens-dead

Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,348 times
There are many examples of God using armies to send his Justice/Judgement upon men and nations throughout scripture.
A false prophet was destroyed. Rejoice in the things that are of God, boast in the things that are of God.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Maybe u r the one who needs to take your own advice. If u think the horse is too high don't wallow in the dirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think I agree with u... I can rejoice over the Military operation and show patriotic pride and I can be happy that people got the closure and or peace they needed to that end without dancing on someone's grave. We do have power over how we live our lives... There is no moral high horse in that.
Look deeper within yourselves for these attributions of bloodthirstiness and pridefulness because they do not automatically attend reactions to the death of Evil. Relief, closure, hope for a better future, reduced anxiety, etc. etc. are equally probable attributions . . . as are many others. The reactions are tied to the impact this man's evil had on each individual. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 05-04-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Look deeper within yourselves for these attributions of bloodthirstiness and pridefulness because they do not automatically attend reactions to the death of Evil. Relief, closure, hope for a better future, reduced anxiety, etc. etc. are equally probable attributions . . . as are many others. The reactions are tied to the impact this man's evil had on each individual. Moderator cut: Orphaned
The relief, "closure," hope and reduced anxiety can be given in many ways. Support for the ones killed in 9/11 could have been greater, and in particular, on behalf of the US government.

But killing people is not a way to "comfort" people. Killing is animal instinct, flesh; nothing more.

"LOVE your enemies." Gotta keep repeating this one!

Blessings,
brian

Last edited by june 7th; 05-04-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,859 times
This thread makes me wonder - would the celebrations have been so jubilant if he had been captured alive? I don't think so. I'm not sure what to make of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity