Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It is.......for dividing us,so we correctly divide the scripture. You're wasting your time trying to correct,instruct and reprove someone else with the scripture,if the same scripture has not done the same unto us. There is an order to all this,like first take the plank out of your own eye.....then ?.
You are right if you are judging someone's sin. The bible is clear we don't have any right to judge anyone. That's God's role. But, the bible is clear on examining the Scriptures for ourselves and not accepting false doctrine or being tossed to and fro. WE ARE COMMANDED TO STUDY GODS WORD, AND WE should be like the Bereans of Acts 17:11. They didn't even accept what the apostles were saying as truth. They examined the Scriptures for themselves, and many times too many Christians don't even challenge what their religion, pastor or elder is spoon feeding them through their sermons or in their publications. That's all that I am saying. Also, if you understand where I am going, then it just makes sense for all of us to stand corrected when in error. We must let down our Baptist, Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Mormon, Church of Christ, or what ever religion you are religious pride or wrong doctrine when it's proven to us, and let the BIBLE do the interpreting for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta33 View Post
The problem with this is that Paul says scripture is "profitable", not exclusive.

As a matter of fact, he says right before this:

Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further : for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was . But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured : but out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution . But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse , deceiving , and being deceived . But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of , knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

It appears the ones who lack truth are the ones who resist Church authority, as in Jannes and Jambres who resisted Moses (and with Korah as well whom Jude reminds us). Paul continues with telling us that what is important is who we learn from.

Blessings,

augusta

Thanks for sharing, and I agree with you about who we learn from should be something that all of us take serious. But again, not too many Christians are willing to PUT IN THE EFFORT OR TIME to investigate whether or not the information that they are learning is scriptural over traditions. Acts 17:11 is not in the bible by accident.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:22 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Rightly dividing the word is important. However, who besides God can decide that? I would wager that most, if not all churches believe their way of dividing the word is the right way.

Really, no church is perfect (what is perfect besides God?).
I agree.

That being said we need to try.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:35 PM

299 posts, read 263,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
No religion saves anyone. I know this may be a shock to some of you Christians who believe that by being a member of the JWs, Church of Christ, 7th Day Adventist, Mormon, United Church of God, Catholic church and countless other cult like christian denominations that believe that they are in the truth, and that God is sending them a direct channel of communication that no other religion receives that some how makes them righteous over other Christian organizations that don't agree with your beliefs. That's a tactic of the devil to keep us all divided, and God allows this to happen so that those of us who have been blessed by God to question all beliefs OVER WHAT THE BIBLE ACTUALLY TEACHES ABOUT TOPICS IN CONTEXT can truly study to show ourselves approved unto God, who needth not be ashamed, but RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. 2TIM 2:15.
The term "rightly dividing the word of truth" means correctly making the distinction between the OT written code of law and a law which has been added to the law after Jesus' crucifixion. If the division is not done correctly it does not meet God's approval. Everyone who follows the rule of context does not rightly divide the word of truth.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Good point, yet every religion says that they have God's truth. I thank God that the bible is there for all of us to read for ourselves, and with His help He can bring us to understanding of it.
True. Though it seems to me that very few church members make any effort to read the Bible for themselves.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
True. Though it seems to me that very few church members make any effort to read the Bible for themselves.
You are absolutely right. I thank God that he sent me to a bible teaching church where my pastor teaches us to read the bible for ourselves and not believe what he's saying or anyone for that matter. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right. I thank God that he sent me to a bible teaching church where my pastor teaches us to read the bible for ourselves and not believe what he's saying or anyone for that matter. Thanks for sharing.
"It is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 Does your pastor teach you which law this is and the Way it must be obeyed?

Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxjonz View Post
"It is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13 Does your pastor teach you which law this is and the Way it must be obeyed?
God's perfect Righteousness is imputed to all who simply place their faith alone in Christ alone.

Rom 4:3 'For what does the Scripture say? ''And Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him as righteousness.''

Rom 4:5 'But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

The only obedience required to be declared righteous in the sight of the Lord is to believe the gospel concerning Christ.

Obedience after having been saved is a separate issue which does not affect the believers eternal salvation.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God's perfect Righteousness is imputed to all who simply place their faith alone in Christ alone.

Rom 4:3 'For what does the Scripture say? ''And Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him as righteousness.''

Rom 4:5 'But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness.

The only obedience required to be declared righteous in the sight of the Lord is to believe the gospel concerning Christ.

Obedience after having been saved is a separate issue which does not affect the believers eternal salvation.
So then it is your opinion that Paul's statement is wrong/not true?
And by the way his statement does not say "in the sight of the Lord", but does say "It is not those who (only) hear the law who are righteous in God's sight,". God is the father of Jesus who is Lord.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:49 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,170 times
Quote:
No religion saves anyone. I know this may be a shock to some of you Christians who believe that by being a member of the JWs, Church of Christ, 7th Day Adventist, Mormon, United Church of God, Catholic church and countless other cult like christian denominations that believe that they are in the truth, and that God is sending them a direct channel of communication that no other religion receives that some how makes them righteous over other Christian organizations that don't agree with your beliefs. That's a tactic of the devil to keep us all divided, and God allows this to happen so that those of us who have been blessed by God to question all beliefs OVER WHAT THE BIBLE ACTUALLY TEACHES ABOUT TOPICS IN CONTEXT can truly study to show ourselves approved unto God, who needth not be ashamed, but RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. 2TIM 2:15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No offense intended here. While I get what you are saying there comes the next problem.

In what manner do you believe everyone should be in unity? Do you have a certain belief structure that you think everyone should agree with?

What is unity to you? Someone who doesn't question what you believe?

If someone disagrees with your conclusions after you "claim" you rightly divide the word and have the correct context, and "truly" study, what does that mean to you?

Explain please.
Great question Phaze !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity