Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,118 times

Advertisements

No religion saves anyone. I know this may be a shock to some of you Christians who believe that by being a member of the JWs, Church of Christ, 7th Day Adventist, Mormon, United Church of God, Catholic church and countless other cult like christian denominations that believe that they are in the truth, and that God is sending them a direct channel of communication that no other religion receives that some how makes them righteous over other Christian organizations that don't agree with your beliefs. That's a tactic of the devil to keep us all divided, and God allows this to happen so that those of us who have been blessed by God to question all beliefs OVER WHAT THE BIBLE ACTUALLY TEACHES ABOUT TOPICS IN CONTEXT can truly study to show ourselves approved unto God, who needth not be ashamed, but RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. 2TIM 2:15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
No religion saves anyone. I know this may be a shock to some of you Christians who believe that by being a member of the JWs, Church of Christ, 7th Day Adventist, Mormon, United Church of God, Catholic church and countless other cult like christian denominations that believe that they are in the truth, and that God is sending them a direct channel of communication that no other religion receives that some how makes them righteous over other Christian organizations that don't agree with your beliefs. That's a tactic of the devil to keep us all divided, and God allows this to happen so that those of us who have been blessed by God to question all beliefs OVER WHAT THE BIBLE ACTUALLY TEACHES ABOUT TOPICS IN CONTEXT can truly study to show ourselves approved unto God, who needth not be ashamed, but RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH. 2TIM 2:15.
I don't know if you're suggesting that the churches you listed are "cults" or not, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not. I will say, though, on behalf of the Mormons, that ours is the only Christian Church I know of that, as part of its theology, teaches what is essentially "universal reconciliation." It is entirely possible to believe that one and only one Church is teaching 100% correct doctrines and yet to recognize that God loves all of His children enough to ultimately let them all return to His presence. No Mormon who truly understands his religion would ever say that only Mormons will go to Heaven. That's not what we believe.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times
Quote:
No offense intended here. While I get what you are saying there comes the next problem.

In what manner do you believe everyone should be in unity? Do you have a certain belief structure that you think everyone should agree with?

What is unity to you? Someone who doesn't question what you believe?

If someone disagrees with your conclusions after you "claim" you rightly divide the word and have the correct context, and "truly" study, what does that mean to you?

Explain please.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,133,273 times
Quote:

Rightly interpreting truth is so important.
How we define anything, especially God & spirituality is extremely influential - even a matter of life or death. Just consider the definitions of one who consider's suicide, or who hurts based on their interpretations of religion.
How we interpret scriptures requires both spirit (intuition) & common sense. We can't just take the word for what it reads, because of the many contraversies the bible cannon interpretations has been through, even before we got thousands of bible versions.

Our most important purpose is to love God, & love others as ourselves. These purposes (commandments) take priority over all other laws & prophets. - Matt 22:40
God is love. -1John 4:8
Although God is unconditional & all-knowing supreme love. We do the best we can. For us, love is hoping & striving for what is best, through trial & error (active faith).

Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
I suspect that every church misses the mark at some point in their doctrine. Which is why we see so many varieties of churches.

I do believe that there is one single set of doctrines that is 100% harmonious with the Word of God.

The church that we attend makes the claim of doing research to find and hold that 'rightly divided Word of God'; and they make a big deal of this point. However it does not take an expert to see that they are a business. In the business of making a profit and paying salaries. So it is filled with the 'hirelings' that Jesus the Christ warned us about.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 AM

141 posts, read 125,166 times
Quote:

antredd, what church do you belong to? Or, if non-denom which does it most closely resemble?

Thanks, and God bless!

augusta

Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
Rightly dividing the word is important. However, who besides God can decide that? I would wager that most, if not all churches believe their way of dividing the word is the right way.

Really, no church is perfect (what is perfect besides God?).

Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know if you're suggesting that the churches you listed are "cults" or not, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not. I will say, though, on behalf of the Mormons, that ours is the only Christian Church I know of that, as part of its theology, teaches what is essentially "universal reconciliation." It is entirely possible to believe that one and only one Church is teaching 100% correct doctrines and yet to recognize that God loves all of His children enough to ultimately let them all return to His presence. No Mormon who truly understands his religion would ever say that only Mormons will go to Heaven. That's not what we believe.
I just listed religions that I feel cause people to debate with them regarding doctrine or biblical interpretation, if I am making sense. I can see how one would believe that I am calling them a cult. That was not my intent. It just came out that way. OOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Rightly dividing the word is important. However, who besides God can decide that? I would wager that most, if not all churches believe their way of dividing the word is the right way.

Really, no church is perfect (what is perfect besides God?).
Good point, yet every religion says that they have God's truth. I thank God that the bible is there for all of us to read for ourselves, and with His help He can bring us to understanding of it.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta33 View Post
antredd, what church do you belong to? Or, if non-denom which does it most closely resemble?

Thanks, and God bless!

augusta
I attend a Baptist church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity