Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:24 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I'm having trouble understanding how you will have any joy knowing many are about to enter endless torments and terror.
By focusing on telling as many as possible the alternative solution while I'm able here on earth and placing trust in God that he says that it won't affect the believers (by virtue of no scriptures saying that it will)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
That does not answer the question.

Scripture calls Noah a righteous man. But the great flood is in no way comparable to endless torments in hell.
Scripture calls Noah a righteous man... for doing what?
  • filling the ark with converts
or
  • in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
I would probably bet that those from Noah's day that Jesus went to preach after his ressurection would differ....expecially when Jesus left and they didn't.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
By focusing on telling as many as possible the alternative solution while I'm able here on earth and placing trust in God that he says that it won't affect the believers (by virtue of no scriptures saying that it will)
OK I can understand what you are saying - blind faith that you will have joy, however practically speaking there is really only 3 options here:

1. Everyone pretends to be joyful but in the back of their mind feel great sadness for everyone that is lost - this would last for all eternity. So not real joy.

2. Everyone's memory is wiped. So then you are no longer who you are.

3. You are actually changed so you derive joy knowing that others are being tormented. So again, you are not really who you are.

And I suppose there is a 4th option:
4. You simply forget about everyone else, perhaps in some "drug-like" state of glee, simply forgetting about anyone's pain and suffering.

None of these passes the fruits of the spirit test.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times
Quote:
Scripture calls Noah a righteous man... for doing what?
  • filling the ark with converts
or
  • in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.
I would probably bet that those from Noah's day that Jesus went to preach after his ressurection would differ....expecially when Jesus left and they didn't.
I don't see how any of that has to do with my question.

You walk up to an unbeliever, tell them there will be a day of great joy for some, and for the rest it will be great terror forever. How does he respond? This is a simple turn or burn message, which in my experience only turns people away or causes people to come out of fear.

I guess, what is your objective with your OP when you share that with someone? Convert them to Christ, or tell them they are going to 'get it'?

Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,004 times
Quote:
If you would have read carefully
Please don't try to cover up your haughty words like "One day I shall stand back and watch" and act like it was nothing other than what it appeared to be.

I've been around too many people in person that talks like that and the conclusion I came to is spot on, and you know it.

This does have to do with the OP, simply because I do not see your words to me as the "May we all make the best use of the time of grace we have."

You want me to see terror and fear in the process of forming my conclusions, not grace.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Please don't try to cover up your haughty words like "One day I shall stand back and watch" and act like it was nothing other than what it appeared to be.

I've been around too many people in person that talks like that and the conclusion I came to is spot on, and you know it.

This does have to do with the OP, simply because I do not see your words to me as the "May we all make the best use of the time of grace we have."

You want me to see terror and fear in the process of forming my conclusions, not grace.
This OP wasn't intended to ease your paranoia ..... people who understand that time of God's grace is limited to while one lives knows why this is important
"May we all make the best use of the time of grace we have."

Old 11-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
This OP wasn't intended to ease your paranoia
LOL, nice try, you stated the intent of your words clearly and certainly is not using the best of the time of grace.

I certainly will take that advise though and continue to tell others that the best place to be is in Gods hands.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
The OP is stating basic simple Christian doctrine, which is made plain in many places in the New Testament. I often wonder why some people here are on a Christianity forum. I'd have to entertain the idea that some of these people are not seeking to understand the Bible's teachings but only here to deny them in an attempt to destroy someones faith. HMMM.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
The OP is stating basic simple Christian doctrine, which is made plain in many places in the New Testament. I often wonder why some people here are on a Christianity forum. I'd have to entertain the idea that some of these people are not seeking to understand the Bible's teachings but only here to deny them in an attempt to destroy someones faith. HMMM.

Well, the bible does not necessarily "teach" what the OP is talking about. Some believe it does and many of us believe that is a false teaching, so I'd say that perhaps we have several sides of belief all here believing a truth and wanting to destroy faith in what we believe is false.

The goal of all our motives could be sincere in wanting that end, the irony is that we could all be wrong in how we think, act and promote our beliefs, and in God hands we all will be safe and secure despite our error.

The best place to be is in the hands of the living God.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
OK I can understand what you are saying - blind faith that you will have joy, however practically speaking there is really only 3 options here:

1. Everyone pretends to be joyful but in the back of their mind feel great sadness for everyone that is lost - this would last for all eternity. So not real joy.

2. Everyone's memory is wiped. So then you are no longer who you are.

3. You are actually changed so you derive joy knowing that others are being tormented. So again, you are not really who you are.

And I suppose there is a 4th option:
4. You simply forget about everyone else, perhaps in some "drug-like" state of glee, simply forgetting about anyone's pain and suffering.

None of these passes the fruits of the spirit test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity