Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,823 times

Advertisements

Why do so many resort to saying the same thing over and over and not move on to testimony or other good things of the Lord. While final judgement is true we need to talk of the good reports that edify, not build up fear. There is enough of that everywhere and it does not Glorify Christ concerning His Goodness that leads to repentance. What good have you or me done to attract others to the Lord. We need to provoke others to good works. HEB 10:24-25 "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching."

HEB 5:13 For every one that uses milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
HEB 5:14 But strong meat belongs to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
HEB 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
HEB 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
I believe the OP means the Nativity (Birth of Jesus) Not Christmas as Christmas is a contraction of Christ's Mass a Catholic and Orthodox ritual. A more accurate thread title would have been:

The 2nd Coming will be nothing like the Nativity

Old 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Why do so many resort to saying the same thing over and over and not move on to testimony or other good things of the Lord. While final judgement is true we need to talk of the good reports that edify, not build up fear. There is enough of that everywhere and it does not Glorify Christ concerning His Goodness that leads to repentance. What good have you or me done to attract others to the Lord. We need to provoke others to good works. HEB 10:24-25 "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching."

HEB 5:13 For every one that uses milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
HEB 5:14 But strong meat belongs to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
HEB 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
HEB 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
At this time of year, many focus on Jesus who came to this earth in the form of humble servant. But yet no less, the prophecy which said "Emmanuel, which means God with us" was true because Jesus claimed he filled what the OT prophecies.

The OT has two descriptions of the very different comings of Christ.
The first we know vey well ... the babe born in a manger.
The other description is from Joel which says (selected verses)
Let all who live in the land tremble,
for the day of the LORD is coming.
It is close at hand— a day of darkness and gloom,
a day of clouds and blackness.

Like dawn spreading across the mountains
a large and mighty army comes,
such as never was of old nor ever will be in ages to come.

Before them the earth shakes, the sky trembles,
the sun and moon are darkened,
and the stars no longer shine.

The LORD thunders at the head of his army;
his forces are beyond number,
and mighty are those who obey his command.
The day of the LORD is great; it is dreadful.

I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD.

And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved;
for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance,
as the LORD has said, among the survivors whom the LORD calls.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Just curious twin.spin, what is your success rate in converting people by telling them about this great day of joy and terror?

And this is in an honest question, no sarcasm intended.
It would appear that one is saved, while ninety-nine are lost?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
At this time of year, many focus on Jesus who came to this earth in the form of humble servant. But yet no less, the prophecy which said "Emmanuel, which means God with us" was true because Jesus claimed he filled what the OT prophecies.

The OT has two descriptions of the very different comings of Christ.
The first we know vey well ... the babe born in a manger.
The other description is from Joel which says (selected verses)
Let all who live in the land tremble,
for the day of the LORD is coming.
It is close at hand— a day of darkness and gloom,
a day of clouds and blackness.

Like dawn spreading across the mountains
a large and mighty army comes,
such as never was of old nor ever will be in ages to come.

Before them the earth shakes, the sky trembles,
the sun and moon are darkened,
and the stars no longer shine.

The LORD thunders at the head of his army;
his forces are beyond number,
and mighty are those who obey his command.
The day of the LORD is great; it is dreadful.

I will show wonders in the heavens and on the earth,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD.

And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved;
for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance,
as the LORD has said, among the survivors whom the LORD calls.

That is a great depiction of what God is doing within me.

I'm glad to be in the hands of the living God, the best place to be.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times
Its interesting reading through those prophecies we see it is a day of the Lord... the day may seem long, then night comes where it is very dark, but morning brings reprieve...

Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Its interesting reading through those prophecies we see it is a day of the Lord... the day may seem long, then night comes where it is very dark, but morning brings reprieve...
I know we disagree on this ... but that is why Jesus says what he says in John 9:4 "As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work."

Jesus says there is going to come a "night", which Joel prophesied about earlier. That "night" event hasn't happened .... yet.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I know we disagree on this ... but that is why Jesus says what he says in John 9:4 "As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work."

Jesus says there is going to come a "night", which Joel prophesied about earlier. That "night" event hasn't happened .... yet.
I don't doubt that night is coming (or perhaps already has!). But I trust that morning will appear again.

This is a shadow/type that is seen throughout the bible starting with creation - there was night and then there was morning - the night was chaos and God brought order out of it - earth, water, trees, animals, and finally man.

In Revelations we see there is no more night and no more darkness and then ultimately God is all in all as Paul tells us in 1 Cor 15.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

Yeah, not spreading horror stories about God would be a great start.
Made me laugh , but the Truth nevertheless .

Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times
His coming on that Great day will be as obvious to the eyes as lightening in the sky.

I am convinced that the unbelievers are going to call it, oh so sincerely they will believe that it was a huge, UFO kidnapping.
Movies have prepped millions for the Great Deception, and biggest Denial of their Lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity