Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post

This OP said they had "seen God's face and lived" to show that God's word is wrong and should not be trusted.
That is usually why the same crowd only quotes scriptures to begin with.... pitting scriptures against itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
That is usually why the same crowd only quotes scriptures to begin with.... pitting scriptures against itself.
The Life that is the Light to All men is the face of God.

Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

When the disciples saw beyond the man(the face) with a beard(literalism) they saw God.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

When the disciples saw beyond the man(the face) with a beard(literalism) they saw God.
And why do you feel it necessary to give another example of pitting scriptures against itself?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,823 times
Quote:
You are comparing Spiritual things with Physical things. Man (that is us in our human state as on this earth) cannot see God's face and live as the scripture clearly states.

This OP said they had "seen God's face and lived" to show that God's word is wrong and should not be trusted.
Wither the OP actually did see in the sense that the Scripture says "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God", I do not know. I am only pointing out what the Scriptures means.

The question for you to answer is. Because God is a Spirit, does He have a literal face? No He does not and therefor He could never be seen in that way yet we are invited to "seek My face". The paradox is answered by realizing it is spiritual statement. Now, why would God ask us to seek His face if we were to die in a literal/physical manner? No my friend, when we see Him we will die to self and live unto God. Scripture says His hand is outstretched to help us but have you ever seen His hand? By no means because it is a metaphor for spiritual help.

IS 6:1 "In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and His train filled the temple." And yet Jesus said no man has seen God. Another contradiction? By no means. What He saw was a physical manifestation of God to bridge the gap between a purely spiritual world and the physical world for the Prophet to understand that God is the ruler. In reality God fills up all the Universe and Heaven so no man can fully grasp all of Him. But as the Scripture says we can know Him now in part by His Spirit.

2COR 4:6 "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." He has shined in our hearts the face of Jesus Christ. If you are "born again" and I assume you are then you have seen the face of Christ and therefor the face of God even as He has said, "If you have seen Me you have seen the Father."

You just haven't seen it that way yet but it is the Truth. Blessing to you and may you forever see the knowlege of God's Glory in the face of Jesus Christ our Lord.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

Excellent Truth! What you say does not pit Scripture against Scripture but explains the paradoxes of Scripture that the carnal mind so often sees as Scripture contradicting itself. We all have some carnal thinking in some matters no matter how much we have matured. God is oh so patient. It may take a life time for many Saints to understand some things that are so clear to others.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Here is what God said:

And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
Ex 33:20 (KJV)

Is God right or this person claiming God is wrong?
1COR 15:31 "I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily." Paul discovered just what God meant. Because He saw the face of God daily, Paul could not live to himself anymore but died to his sinful nature so as to live unto God.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 AM

342 posts, read 408,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
1COR 15:31 "I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily." Paul discovered just what God meant. Because He saw the face of God daily, Paul could not live to himself anymore but died to his sinful nature so as to live unto God.
I don't think you are taking the 1 Cor verse in the context it was written but could you share with me the Book, Chapter and Verse where Paul say's he saw the face of God daily?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I agree Gary. When confronted with the altogether loveliness of the face of God( the Life that is the Life of all men),the desire to live out of our old nature loses its appeal.

In him was Life.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I don't think you are taking the 1 Cor verse in the context it was written but could you share with me the Book, Chapter and Verse where Paul say's he saw the face of God daily?
I already did but you dismissed it. Here it is again.
2COR 4:6 "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." and "I die daily." The only way to see the face of God daily is to die daily.

And the only way you will ever see the face of God is in the face of Jesus Christ because as Jesus said, "If you have seen Me you have seen the Father." and "No one can come to the Father except through Me." Jesus was not talking about His human face of flesh but of the spiritual face of the Father who was within Him. The Divinity of Christ is what we must see. His countenance radiates Joy, Peace, Love, and Wisdom for His children who look upon the face of their Heavenly Father! The Scriptures speaks over and over about the countenance of the face of the Lord.

Here are but a few Scriptures that speak of how good it is to seek the face of the Lord!

PS 27:8 When You said, Seek you My face; my heart said unto You, Your face, Lord, will I seek.

PS 105:4 Seek the Lord, and His strength: seek His face evermore.

PS 22:24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither has He hid His face from him; but when he cried unto Him, He heard.

PS 31:16 Make Your face to shine upon Your servant: save me for Your mercies' sake.

PS 67:1 God be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause His face to shine upon us; Selah.

PS 119:135 Make Your face to shine upon Your servant; and teach me Your statutes.

Last edited by garya123; 01-14-2013 at 06:52 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,066 times
And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.Genesis 32:30

And Jacob said, Nay, I pray thee, if now I have found grace in thy sight, then receive my present at my hand: for therefore I have seen thy face, as though I had seen the face of God, and thou wast pleased with me.Genesis 33:10

He prays to God and finds favor with him, he sees God's face and shouts
for joy; he is restored by God to his righteous state.Job 33:26

And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people. Leviticus 17:10

1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. 3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: 4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. 5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. Revelation 22

No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. 1 John 4:12

Feeling the presence of God and actually seeing him are 2 different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity