Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times

Advertisements

Now, before anyone goes ballistic or starts throwing Bible verses at me, please hear me out.

Yes, I understand that the cross is the most widely recognized symbol of Christianity throughout the world. But it is also a symbol of death. As I understand it, crucifixion was fairly common at the time, so it is not even Jesus specific. That is where it is believed he died, NOT a symbol of resurrection.

Think of it this way - If a leader of your religious order were beheaded or hung, would you wear a mini guillotine or noose around your neck? Even if it were all blinged out or sparkly gold, it would just be weird.

I don't understand why the cross rather than the stylized fish - or any other positive symbol - became more representative of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Now, before anyone goes ballistic or starts throwing Bible verses at me, please hear me out.

Yes, I understand that the cross is the most widely recognized symbol of Christianity throughout the world. But it is also a symbol of death. As I understand it, crucifixion was fairly common at the time, so it is not even Jesus specific. That is where it is believed he died, NOT a symbol of resurrection.

Think of it this way - If a leader of your religious order were beheaded or hung, would you wear a mini guillotine or noose around your neck? Even if it were all blinged out or sparkly gold, it would just be weird.

I don't understand why the cross rather than the stylized fish - or any other positive symbol - became more representative of Christianity.
Because the Cross is where and how our salvation was made possible. The Cross is at the very heart of the gospel. If Jesus had not gone to the Cross there would have been no salvation for anyone. The apostle Paul said, ''For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).

Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3:14 that ''As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15] so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

Jesus was referring to the event described in Numbers 21:8-9 in which because of their frustration the Israelites began to complain. And so God sent poisonous snakes among the Jews. Many were bitten and died. But God told Moses to make a fiery serpent of bronze and place it on a standard so that anyone who simply looked at it was healed. This was an illustration of Christ on the Cross where He died for the sins of the world. As a result anyone who simply gives a look of faith by believing on Christ has eternal life.

It was God's plan from eternity past that Jesus come into the world and go to the Cross and be judged for the sins of the world. On the Cross Jesus died both spiritually which paid the penalty for our sins, and then physically because He had accomplished His work of redemption and so that He could be resurrected as the first fruits of those who will be resurrected at His coming (1 Corinthians 15:22-23).

John 3:16 summarizes the gospel nicely. ''For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son (referring to His death on the Cross), that whoever believes on Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

And so it should be understandable why many believers in Christ choose to wear a cross.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:46 AM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:

Because our ignorant savage ancestors misinterpreted Christ's sacrifice in enduring scourging and crucifixion as an appeasement of a jealous, vengeful, angry War God who could not be satisfied with anything less than blood sacrifice. They elevated the blood sacrifice as the meaning of Christ's act of love . . . instead of recognizing His acquiesence to our ancestors' savagery as an unambiguous example of the true nature of our loving God. He smote no one and He forgave everyone . . . including His torturers and murderers. The worst among those who believe this savagery actually believe God took pleasure in the torture of Christ. It boggles the mind how we humans can distort and corrupt something so unambiguous.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Fancy words don't make you appear educated they are a blindness. Jesus told the disciples He was going to die and the prophecy for this in in Isaiah. and two agreements were made concerning it 5,000 years before Jesus came.
One with Adam and one with Abraham.
If you really care about the truth you will devote real time to knowing the scriptures and Knowing God.
God would prefir to be your teacher . That is what Jesus provided His believers, via the Holy Spirit.
But if all your looking for is excuses, no amount of arguing or facts will make any difference in you.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 AM

545 posts, read 451,716 times
Quote:

People are made incomplete within themselves. We are built somewhat incomplete. People therefore long for things, its very natural because as individuals it is rewarding to feel as solid contributors to the community and species.

A devotion manifests a spiritual longing where meaning in the divine realities will open up connections with the soul.

A reference of great honor and reverence for the symbol in the cross and what it represents would be considered a devotion for its content in all the understandings which are known.

The honor will add to and protect the soul.

It was in obedience to the Father that Jesus went to the cross, he was not forced. Believers as well are not forced and bear with acceptance the sufferings God sends including saying prayers for peace of mind in things we cannot change. Prayers another devotion , grace before meals for example. Looks like good answers in the thread already.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because our ignorant savage ancestors misinterpreted Christ's sacrifice in enduring scourging and crucifixion as an appeasement of a jealous, vengeful, angry War God who could not be satisfied with anything less than blood sacrifice. They elevated the blood sacrifice as the meaning of Christ's act of love . . . instead of recognizing His acquiesence to our ancestors' savagery as an unambiguous example of the true nature of our loving God. He smote no one and He forgave everyone . . . including His torturers and murderers. The worst among those who believe this savagery actually believe God took pleasure in the torture of Christ. It boggles the mind how we humans can distort and corrupt something so unambiguous.

Exactly.

The symbol of christianity should be a heart, symbolizing the supreme power of LOVE.

God is LOVE. Therefore, what could possibly be more powerful than LOVE?

"Father forgive them..."
As he hang there, bloodied, tortured, and dying... (death - symbol of the path non-love travels)
"Father forgive them..."

The power of love that was taught over and over and over again by Jesus and which was ultimately displayed "father forgive them" and the subsequent resurrection symbolism (love leads to life) has been buried six feet under by the "DEATH" (wide road) mindset of those who demand blood sacrifice which they call "justice", and God's "wrath". Love will ultimately overcome this as well.

People hang onto a cross.
They should really hang onto a heart.

just my .02

Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Because it is easierto focus on one saving act than on the life we should be emulating.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Because it is easierto focus on one saving act than on the life we should be emulating.
Without that one saving act, where would we be? Can we save ourselves?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 AM

473 posts, read 821,823 times
Quote:

Not about to go ballistic. I too hate the image of the cross. Death and the cross were overcome in victory. He rose from the dead. I would prefer to see a heart, or any other victory symbol. I have no pictures nor images in my home of the cross. I have the Ten Commandments and a few of my own paintings on my walls.

Yeshua Bless You

Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
Not about to go ballistic. I too hate the image of the cross. Death and the cross were overcome in victory. He rose from the dead. I would prefer to see a heart, or any other victory symbol. I have no pictures nor images in my home of the cross. I have the Ten Commandments and a few of my own paintings on my walls.

Yeshua Bless You
Sacred Heart

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sacred Heart of Jesus
An embroidery of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Saint Nicholas' Church, Ghent, Belgium.
Honored in Roman Catholic Church, Anglican Church, Lutheran Church Feast 19 days after Pentecost (Friday) Attributes Burning bloodied heart, surmounted with cross and thorns Patronage Apostleship of Prayer Devotion to the Sacred Heart (also known as the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus) is one of the most widely practiced and well-known devotions, taking Jesus Christ's physical heart as the representation of his divine love for humanity.
This devotion is predominantly used in the Catholic Church and among some high-church Anglicans and Lutherans. The devotion especially emphasizes the unmitigated love, compassion, and long-suffering of the heart of Christ towards humanity. The origin of this devotion in its modern form is derived from a French Roman Catholic nun, Marguerite Marie Alacoque, who said she learned the devotion from Jesus during a mystical experience. Predecessors to the modern devotion arose unmistakably in the Middle Ages in various facets of Catholic mysticism.[1]
In the Roman Catholic tradition, the Sacred Heart has been closely associated with Acts of Reparation to Jesus Christ. In his encyclical Miserentissimus Redemptor, Pope Pius XI stated: "the spirit of expiation or reparation has always had the first and foremost place in the worship given to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus".[2] The Golden Arrow Prayer directly refers to the Sacred Heart.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity