Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM

211 posts, read 340,624 times

Advertisements

The main point of this topic:
I would like to try out a Methodist service some time but since I've never had any exposure to them I'm not sure what to expect. Do I need to dress really nicely? Will I be expected to bring a Bible or hymn book? Will it be ok to not take part of communion?

If you want more background, here is some tangential information:
I'm at a point in my life where I would like to find a church service I feel comfortable in, even though I don't consider myself a Christian. As a kid I was in Southern Baptist and Pentacostal services - you might have called these people "holy rollers". I'm ok with people doing those things, but its not for me. I also have tried the non-denominational churches that are popular right now, and while I like how active they are sometimes in the community I'm not comfortable with the entertainment format of their services. I went to a Church of Christ and I liked how intense they were about reading scripture, but I felt they were too rigid for me. I also don't believe in the infallibility of the Bible itself, so that puts me at odds with CoC. I've never attended Catholic Mass, but I really respect a lot of the Catholics I've been around. My problem with Catholocism is what I consider idolatry within their religion. So again I have a fundamental belief that puts me at odds with that flavor of Christianity as well.

Disclaimer:
Please note that I don't wish to debate anybody on the merits of my beliefs nor is it my intention to put anybody down for theirs. Its just that what is working for other people hasn't been working for me. I desire a relationship with a God, but I haven't been able to and I'm simply looking for a Church environment that can help me get into that relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Just go and see for yourself. Don't worry about bibles. They have them. Don't worry about communion. Not everybody takes it. Only you can find the church you are comfortable with. Don't rely on what posters on the internet say.

Find out for yourself.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:47 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Just go and see for yourself. Don't worry about bibles. They have them. Don't worry about communion. Not everybody takes it. Only you can find the church you are comfortable with. Don't rely on what posters on the internet say.

Find out for yourself.
That's sensible advice. I might add all the main denominations and many individual churches have websites. Yet it is still best to visit and find out if you're comfortable there.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I would like to try out a Methodist service some time but since I've never had any exposure to them I'm not sure what to expect. Do I need to dress really nicely? Will I be expected to bring a Bible or hymn book? Will it be ok to not take part of communion?

I'm at a point in my life where I would like to find a church service I feel comfortable in, even though I don't consider myself a Christian. As a kid I was in Southern Baptist and Pentacostal services - you might have called these people "holy rollers". I'm ok with people doing those things, but its not for me. I also have tried the non-denominational churches that are popular right now, and while I like how active they are sometimes in the community I'm not comfortable with the entertainment format of their services. I went to a Church of Christ and I liked how intense they were about reading scripture, but I felt they were too rigid for me. I also don't believe in the infallibility of the Bible itself, so that puts me at odds with CoC. I've never attended Catholic Mass, but I really respect a lot of the Catholics I've been around. My problem with Catholocism is what I consider idolatry within their religion. So again I have a fundamental belief that puts me at odds with that flavor of Christianity as well.

Disclaimer:
Please note that I don't wish to debate anybody on the merits of my beliefs nor is it my intention to put anybody down for theirs. Its just that what is working for other people hasn't been working for me. I desire a relationship with a God, but I haven't been able to and I'm simply looking for a Church environment that can help me get into that relationship.
You are a perfect fit for the Catholic Church. I say so because you are not a Sola Scriptura bible literalist. and that qualifies you immensely for the RCC.

Catholics are not pagan and they do not worship statues. You have been deceived by your ministers.

Watch this video:

Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? - YouTube

Go to mass and at the end look for the priest. Tell him you are interested and he will make arrangements for you to take the RCIA. There is no pressure of any kind and you will finally return HOME to the mother church.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Personally I find the Methodists to be the most welcoming, non-judgemental and loving of all mainstream Christians.

I think it would be VERY unusual for anyone of another faith, or no faith, to be "uncomfortable" in one of their services.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:43 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Personally I find the Methodists to be the most welcoming, non-judgemental and loving of all mainstream Christians.

I think it would be VERY unusual for anyone of another faith, or no faith, to be "uncomfortable" in one of their services.
I've worked with both a Methodist and Wesleyan church on some projects. You're right lovesMountains, plus both are very accommodating, unpretentious, unassuming and willing to help when called upon.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM

211 posts, read 340,624 times
Thanks for the responses. I will attend a Methodist service this weekend and after that a Catholic friend has agreed to take me to mass with him.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:09 PM

441 posts, read 392,057 times
The Methodist church has become the church at Laodicea.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
If it's anything like the Methodist church that my mother took me to, the main thing you can expect is boredom.

Going to that church was like going to a funeral every Sunday.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post

Disclaimer:

Here to help, not debate and give you some insight as to what to expect at a United Methodist Church service. (I can't help you when it comes to Free Methodist or other Methodist denominations)
For the purpose of this post, I am addressing the United Methodist Church, the largest Methodist body in the United States.

1. There is a lot of variety in the Methodist Church. Most are fairly moderate in ideology and in politics. You will find a diversity of beliefs at many Methodist churches.

2. In general the service is one hour long and I could describe it as casually liturgical. Usually the Lord's Prayer is recited. Usually no other creeds are recited.

3. Hymns vary from all traditional to mostly praise songs or contemporary music. Many is my area are a mixture of the two. Many standard hymns that are in use in Protestant churches to this day were penned by Charles Wesley, the brother of the founder of Methodism, John Wesley.

4. Attire varies as to region and taste in your area. Again think moderation. If you are a male, you can't go wrong with Dockers and a polo shirt of golf shirt. If you are a woman, dressier slacks or a skirt and top. Business casual. You may find extremes such as people dressed up with ties and suits or women who look like it's Easter Sunday - on the other side, jeans and tea shirts.
Mostly somewhere in between, but I have seen all of the above. No one cares. In a good way.

5. You do not need to take a Bible with you. There is one in the rack in front of the pew. You can take one if you wish.

6. Communion is offered once a month on the first Sunday.

7. Membership can be by Profession of Faith or transfer of records. You are not required to be confirmed as you would in a "high church" such as the Episcopal Church.

8. The United Methodist Church is a combination of Evangelical and Liturgical traditions. Their motto is "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors".

Blessings!

Sheena12

I happen to think that you will fit in well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity