Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:52 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times

Advertisements

Attended Palm Sunday service today. It was beautiful. This year we received "Eco Friendly Palms".

They are fair trade and do not have a negative impact of the environment. I like that. They also look different - more like actual palm fronds.

I like Katiana's idea of incorporating them into a wreath.

My current church here in Ohio is not especially architecturally remarkable. It was built in 1963. It's what some might call "mid century modest".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 01:58 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I agree as well. Now my friend who was brought up in a more fundamentalist Christian church, and still goes to a different fundamentalist church said she had never heard of anyone but the Catholics observing Good Friday as a kid. Even to this day, many of the "Non-Doms" around here do not observe it.
Really? I grew up in the Reformed Church of America (a descendant of the Dutch Reformed Church--it's a Calvinistic denomination). We always observed Good Friday. There is a non-denominational church that my daughter attended as a teenager when she was dating the pastor's son. I don't think they observed Good Friday, come to think of it.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? I grew up in the Reformed Church of America (a descendant of the Dutch Reformed Church--it's a Calvinistic denomination). We always observed Good Friday. There is a non-denominational church that my daughter attended as a teenager when she was dating the pastor's son. I don't think they observed Good Friday, come to think of it.
I'm sure it varies among churches. My friend grew up Advent Christian. I'm not familiar with it myself.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:01 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I agree as well. Now my friend who was brought up in a more fundamentalist Christian church, and still goes to a different fundamentalist church said she had never heard of anyone but the Catholics observing Good Friday as a kid. Even to this day, many of the "Non-Doms" around here do not observe it.

There are so many people who think that Holy Week is a strictly Roman Catholic observance. It isn't. Episcopalians, Lutherans and Methodists observe Holy Week. (I'm probably leaving some denoms out)

Yet on the news they will say "Today marks Good Friday when Roman Catholics round the world..."

What's up with that?

Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Come to think of it, the office where I work is on a medical "campus" anchored by a Seventh-Day Adventist Hospital. They always have a Good Friday service for the staff.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:27 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are so many people who think that Holy Week is a strictly Roman Catholic observance. It isn't. Episcopalians, Lutherans and Methodists observe Holy Week. (I'm probably leaving some denoms out)

Yet on the news they will say "Today marks Good Friday when Roman Catholics round the world..."

What's up with that?
I'm sure you meant denoms,

Those other churches you mentioned are more mainstream and therefore much closer to the Catholic Church.

As for the TV news. It just would not sound good to show footage of the methodists celebrating Holy Week. They always show the Pope because he is seen as the leader of the Christendom. Ands in a sense he is!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Easter is when our church (and most I imagine) have the most people attend. They go into extreme evangelistic mode and want to make room for people who don't usually go. They have asked the regular attendees to either go to a special Saturday night service or go to a late Sunday evening service to make room for the once a year or C&E Christians.

We are skipping church and I'm taking the family to an Easter brunch at a famous local hotel. It's supposed to be the best in the area, so I wanted to splurge and indulge.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
I preached on the triumphal entry today, and next week we will have a sunrise service outdoors, then breakfast and a 10 am service. I've considered starting a Good Friday service, but it looks like that will wait till next year. I have been busy with preparing for a few weddings and other things and didn't get it done this year.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:54 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I preached on the triumphal entry today, and next week we will have a sunrise service outdoors, then breakfast and a 10 am service.
Did you give palms to the parishioners? I am glad you did this service!

Quote:
I've considered starting a Good Friday service, but it looks like that will wait till next year.
Great! Your Catholic roots are showing. Consider an Easter Vigil on Saturday, that would complete the cycle.

Quote:
I have been busy with preparing for a few weddings and other things and didn't get it done this year.
For the love of God. I hope you do not use rings in the wedding ceremony. The rings are pagan ALL THE WAY.

Just kidding, we cannot avoid the fact that Christianity copied pagan stuff. I hope you are cool with that.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,492 times
I presided at our Palm Service yesterday, complete with a multi-church Cantata. It was magnificent.

On Wednesday we gather with the other churches in town and hold a joint Holy Week Service.

Friday evening we have a Good Friday service - this year I am focusing on the 7 last words of Christ.

Sunday an early Sunrise Service, followed by our regular service at 10 a.m.

Then I start 2 weeks vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity