Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
You misrepresent this passage, which is not surprising. These were 'children' because they were under the authority of their patriarchal family, not because they were young. The passage clearly indicates that a trial take place, with the charges of gluttony and drunkenness brought against the individual. This was a capitol crime in ancient Israel but the book of Leviticus provides many protections for fair treatment under the law.

But hey, inconvenient truths, right? Much ado about nothing, per usual...
What bull you spout. Haven't you even read your Bible?

All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Bottom line is---either you keep ALL of the LAW or not. If you fail in even one law you have failed in them all. If you don't believe children should be put to death for cursing their parents, or fortunetellers stoned, or burning the preacher's daughter to death if she fornicates, then why do you believe in hanging on to JUST THE LAW ABOUT HOMOSEXUALS. Is the law about the Sabbath no longer of importance? Probably 40%-50% of America is working on the Sabbath. Shouldn't you be demanding their death.

Let me explain it to you, and tthttf, and jeffbase40--you do it because you hold a prejudice against one group of people. If the Bible were really as sacred as you say, you would be attempting to have ALL the law upheld by religious people. You do not, because it is only "safe" for you to point your prejudicial fingers at homosexuals.

And for that God will judge you all severely.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
With that logic, I could simply declare any action to NOT be sin as long as there are no red letters speech from Jesus. But here is what Jesus DID say:

Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’[b]? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Matthew 19:4-6

Absolutely nothing about same sex marriage there.
But a heck of a lot about divorce that is much more prevalent in society and produces a thousand times worse results in our nation. Why aren't you spending time on the plank in the nation's eye?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 PM

951 posts, read 1,053,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Is this something the Jesus instructed people to do though?
The Word/Christ spoke God's words both in the Old and New Testament. And in the prophets you will read about warning the land of their sins. I would not go up and start talking to strangers about their personal sins on the street but I do believe there should be a warning and that is why I am speaking out in a non-personal way against the abominable sin of homosexuality. You would think that on a Christianity forum I would be "preaching to the choir" as the saying goes but not on this forum -- which makes it interesting.

You and others of like mind want homosexuality to flourish. You are condoning an abominable sin. But, I pray that the land will be spared of all this evil from the sin of homosexuality and other sins. It appears that it is going to get worse and worse but God can do anything with just a handful people -- in fact, His preferred approach is to use the minimum number of humans to do the job.

Also, you and others believe that Christ is basically a doormat who doesn't care about sin and allows anyone to walk all over Him and His Father and do just as they please with no repentance. That is not true at all. You may not word it like that but that sums it up. Unless you repent of your sins, you will perish in lake of fire -- the Second death. You and all of us need to repent as God/Christ would have us repent. I know this personally because God called me and revealed to me that I was breaking one of His Ten Commandments and He let me know in a most direct way that I was sinning, believe me.

There is a description in the book of Revelation about the true Saints of God. It is one of my favorite verses and is found in the very last book of the Bible:

Revelation 14:
(12) Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

We all need to repent of our sins especially the abominable sin of homosexuality.

tthttf

Last edited by tthttf; 11-24-2014 at 11:32 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 10:42 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Bottom line is---either you keep ALL of the LAW or not.
You still don't understand and it's because you don't want to. We are no longer under the Mosaic Law of the Old Testament, but those things that were immoral are still immoral, even if the law has been removed. I don't know why I keep repeating myself. Your mind is closed and you only prefer to hear yourself talk.

We are no longer under the Mosaic Law, but things such as murder, fornication, adultery and homosexual acts are still sin and should be treated in the manner that Jesus prescribes. End of story.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
But a heck of a lot about divorce that is much more prevalent in society and produces a thousand times worse results in our nation. Why aren't you spending time on the plank in the nation's eye?
Because the topic is homosexuality, not divorce. Do you think the sin of divorce somehow nullifies the sin of homosexuality?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That was specific discussion the topic of divorce. Jesus wasn't addressing a same-sex audience. Why would he bring that into the discussion?
He was specifically talking about God's design for marriage. Between a man and woman. If God designed homosexuality then it would only make sense that Jesus talk about all kinds of unions here. Otherwise, He would only be referring to heterosexual divorce.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
You still don't understand and it's because you don't want to. We are no longer under the Mosaic Law of the Old Testament, but those things that were immoral are still immoral, even if the law has been removed. I don't know why I keep repeating myself. Your mind is closed and you only prefer to hear yourself talk.

We are no longer under the Mosaic Law, but things such as murder, fornication, adultery and homosexual acts are still sin and should be treated in the manner that Jesus prescribes. End of story.
I do understand. I understand that YOU want to be in charge of which Mosaic laws are to be kept and which are to be ignored.

Do you have scripture supporting which laws are to be followed and which aren't?

You are the one that stated Jesus didn't "change" any of the law. I'm the one claiming He did by both action and words. If Jesus changed NOTHING, then all of Mosaic law is proper. If He changed the law by example, then you might try asking yourself "what would Jesus say or do" before saying or doing anything on your own.

I don't practice it near enough myself, but when dealing with Christian Pharisees I'm spot on!!!

Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Because the topic is homosexuality, not divorce. Do you think the sin of divorce somehow nullifies the sin of homosexuality?
Count the number of threads on homosexuality and then those on divorce. It's not even close. And I do believe I've read a post of yours calling divorce a "forgivable" sin.

This thread reflects who you and tthttf and a few others really are. It's certainly not about winning people to Christ, encouraging those who are oppressed, standing up for those who are despised and looked down upon---all things Jesus did do. And that's why, whatever your religion is, it doesn't fit in the same breath with Christianity.

And what nations and religions does your religion most resemble? Why the 77 nations of NATO that still have homosexuality as a crime against the state, including the ten that declare it, like tthttf, a capital crime and execute individuals for it.

They are almost all---Muslim

Last edited by Wardendresden; 11-24-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 11:46 PM

951 posts, read 1,053,636 times
Quote:

I don't practice it near enough myself, but when dealing with Christian Pharisees I'm spot on!!!
Paul gave you an example what to do about someone engaging in a similar sin also listed in Leviticus 18. He said put the man out and used the example of putting out leaven during the Days of Unleavened Bread and told the Corinthians to purge out the old leaven which represents the sin this man was bringing into their fellowship and their own personal sins as well.

You are "cherry-picking" the New Testament scriptures and choosing only Christ words that support your arguments when the Apostle Paul speaks precisely about the topic at hand and you have no answer for Paul's words because Paul nails you on your error.

1 Cor 5:1-13
(1) It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
(2) And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
(3) For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
(4) In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
(5) To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
(6) Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
(7) Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
(8) Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

(9) I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
(10) Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
(11) But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
(12) For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
(13) But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

You teach contrary. You say throw the fundamentalist preachers like Paul out and bring those who commit abominable sexual sins in.

You have got it backwards.

tthttf

Old 11-24-2014, 11:58 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
I responded to your bullet points. And your counter argument was basically to just say I am dumb.
You responded (sort of) to two out four.

These were the four:
  • Inhospitality
  • Seeking sex with angels, fornication, and going after "strange flesh"
  • Pride, wealth, laziness, and ignoring the needs of the poor
  • Adultery, lies, and general immorality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity