Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times

Advertisements

Because this seems to be coming up a lot lately, I thought I'd post the facts in a new thread.

For starters, I fully realize that the majority of people who will read this probably didn't wait until marriage to have sex. It's only natural to be offended or respond negatively to anyone telling you that choices that you already made (and cannot unmake) were bad for you. This is not about telling people who did not wait for marriage that they are bad people. Because I believe in Christ and in everyone's God-given free will, I believe that everyone makes their own path through their life choices. All bad outcomes that scientific studies found for those engaging in premarital sex can be overcome via grit and determination. Add God to the equation, and you can do absolutely anything.

Having said that, here's the facts and links. I will do my best to disregard sources with clear bias:

According to WebMD -- Benefits in Delaying Sex Until Marriage
Quote:
It may be common for couples to have sex before marriage, but a new study shows that couples who wait until marriage are happier with the quality of sex than couples who have intercourse before their vows.

What’s more, couples who delay sex until their wedding night have more stable and happier marriages than couples who have premarital sex, according to the study, which appears in the Journal of Family Psychology.

The study involved 2,035 married participants in an online assessment of marriage called “RELATE.”
  • According to the study, people who waited until marriage:
  • rated sexual quality 15% higher than people who had premarital sex
  • rated relationship stability as 22% higher
  • rated satisfaction with their relationships 20% higher
http://nationalmarriageproject.org/w...port-Final.pdf
Quote:
In our sample, only 23 percent of the individuals who got married over the course of the study had had sex solely with the person they married. That minority of men and women reported higher marital quality than those who had had sex with other partners prior to marriage. We further found that the more sexual partners a woman had had before marriage, the less happy she reported her marriage to be. This association (the more sexual partners the less happy) was not statistically significant for men ...
The study above found that all of the following negatively impact marriages:
  • People who cohabitated with with somebody other than their eventual marriage partner previously. So taking that into consideration, "test driving" makes absolutely no sense. You gain nothing and only stand to lose.
  • If you had a child with somebody else prior to marriage, the average quality of your marriage drops by almost 1/2 if you're a woman and drops by 1/4 if your a man. Avoiding premarital sex helps you there as well.
  • Couples who had sex before they were married are 8% less likely to have a high quality marriage.
  • Those that lived together prior to marriage saw an 11% drop in their chances at a high quality marriage.
  • Having a child together before marriage caused a 41% drop in chances for a high quality marriage, but only for those with a college degree.

Quote:
People should realize the importance of the past. What happens in Vegas—everything you do before settling down in marriage—may not stay there. The ghosts of prior romances can haunt new ones. Those who have had more romantic experiences—for example, more sexual or cohabiting partners—are more likely to have lower-quality marriages than those with a less complicated romantic history. It is common among social scientists to dismiss these associations as being attributable to preexisting risks
based in family, socio-economic context, or underlying personality traits (i.e., selection). Indeed, such background factors and prior risks matter quite a bit. At the same time, many associations between life experiences and marital quality do not disappear even after researchers control for background factors. Moreover, prior experiences of the sort we have emphasized here also reflect behaviors that people have some control over, and their choices can either constrain or protect their romantic and life options in the future. Avoiding one particularly high-risk relationship or avoiding having a child before marriage may alter the course of a person’s life significantly, whatever his or her family and economic background.
The wait that's worth it: New couples who delay sex longest are happiest | Daily Mail Online

Dating violence linked with teen pregnancy, suicide attempts | Harvard Gazette

Stop Pretending Sex Never Hurts

How Poor Mental Health and Casual Sex Reinforce Each Other
Quote:
The results showed that participants who reported serious thoughts of suicide or more depressive symptoms as teens were significantly more likely to report having casual sexual relationships when they were young adults. Casual sex, in turn, was linked to further declines in mental health. Specifically, those who had casual sex in their late teens and early 20s were significantly more likely to have serious thoughts of suicide as young adults, results showed. In fact, each additional casual sex relationship increased the odds of suicidal thoughts by 18 percent.

I really liked the reasoning of this atheist who has committed to wait until marriage:
Quote:
Respect goes two ways. The first is the idea that I respect my future wife (even though we've probably never met) enough that I want her to take solace in the knowledge that I am all hers. I think most girls would agree that a guy who has waited for them is pretty cool. That goes both ways. Guys will think it’s pretty awesome too! The second reason I abstain out of respect is because most girls are going to be someone’s future wife! I respect those will-be unions enough to not interfere. Plus I don’t want guys pushing themselves on my wife to be.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Just so you know.... The Daily Mail is Great Britain's version of the National Enquirer.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:42 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Just so you know.... The Daily Mail is Great Britain's version of the National Enquirer.
Are you refuting the information though?

Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Which is the cause and which is the product, tendency to suicide caused by having casual sex or some one who might be more likely to commit suicide would also be more likely to have causual sex. Dramatic difference in detterming if pre marriage sex is harmful or not.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Because this seems to be coming up a lot lately, I thought I'd post the facts in a new thread.

For starters, I fully realize that the majority of people who will read this probably didn't wait until marriage to have sex. It's only natural to be offended or respond negatively to anyone telling you that choices that you already made (and cannot unmake) were bad for you. This is not about telling people who did not wait for marriage that they are bad people. Because I believe in Christ and in everyone's God-given free will, I believe that everyone makes their own path through their life choices. All bad outcomes that scientific studies found for those engaging in premarital sex can be overcome via grit and determination. Add God to the equation, and you can do absolutely anything.

Having said that, here's the facts and links. I will do my best to disregard sources with clear bias:

According to WebMD -- Benefits in Delaying Sex Until Marriage

http://nationalmarriageproject.org/w...port-Final.pdf
The study above found that all of the following negatively impact marriages:
  • People who cohabitated with with somebody other than their eventual marriage partner previously. So taking that into consideration, "test driving" makes absolutely no sense. You gain nothing and only stand to lose.
  • If you had a child with somebody else prior to marriage, the average quality of your marriage drops by almost 1/2 if you're a woman and drops by 1/4 if your a man. Avoiding premarital sex helps you there as well.
  • Couples who had sex before they were married are 8% less likely to have a high quality marriage.
  • Those that lived together prior to marriage saw an 11% drop in their chances at a high quality marriage.
  • Having a child together before marriage caused a 41% drop in chances for a high quality marriage, but only for those with a college degree.

The wait that's worth it: New couples who delay sex longest are happiest | Daily Mail Online

Dating violence linked with teen pregnancy, suicide attempts | Harvard Gazette

Stop Pretending Sex Never Hurts

How Poor Mental Health and Casual Sex Reinforce Each Other

I really liked the reasoning of this atheist who has committed to wait until marriage:
Too true, but because the Bible advocates it, many will try to find fault with it. After all God can't be right in anything for most. Free will also means the ability to choose really stupid things to do.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:51 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
In the small print. Outcomes were based on 223 participants. It seems the study may have called lots of people but only a few participated fully. How is this statistically significant? Using the term "hooking up", yet no definition.

The funding provided by William E, Simon. A group with a definite agenda.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
There have been many studies over the years that have confirmed this basic fact. Studies have also shown that couples living together before marriage are actually more likely to divorce than couples that don't. Its not hard to figure out. Women who have premarital sex are more likely to become pregnant out of wedlock or end up, being single mothers. This means a great burden of raising the child without their father, and these women are more likely to live in poverty. Their children also suffer higher rates of juvenile delinquency, lower HS graduation rates etc. Its not hard to figure out.

All of this is part of God's system. God does punish sin in this life. For example, being a thief, if you keep it up usually ends up putting the thief in prison or receiving other punishments.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There have been many studies over the years that have confirmed this basic fact. Studies have also shown that couples living together before marriage are actually more likely to divorce than couples that don't. Its not hard to figure out. Women who have premarital sex are more likely to become pregnant out of wedlock or end up, being single mothers. This means a great burden of raising the child without their father, and these women are more likely to live in poverty. Their children also suffer higher rates of juvenile delinquency, lower HS graduation rates etc. Its not hard to figure out.

All of this is part of God's system. God does punish sin in this life. For example, being a thief, if you keep it up usually ends up putting the thief in prison or receiving other punishments.
Wait. God punishes unwed mothers? Is that what you believe?

Old 03-03-2015, 04:06 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

No dear, that's statistically what will likely happen over time. If you perform an action enough times it's likely that eventually you will get caught.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-04-2015 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 03-03-2015, 04:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
In the small print. Outcomes were based on 223 participants. It seems the study may have called lots of people but only a few participated fully. How is this statistically significant? Using the term "hooking up", yet no definition.

The funding provided by William E, Simon. A group with a definite agenda.
So do you refute the findings? Do you think women who have children out of wedlock are more likely to stay married? What is the issues that you have with the information here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity