Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christians attend a friends gay wedding?
YES 148 75.13%
NO 49 24.87%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:46 PM

440 posts, read 377,488 times

Advertisements

Same-sex rape has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Homosexuality: sexual, emotional and romantic attraction to the same sex.

Same-sex rape is not about sexual, emotional or romantic attraction; it is about exerting power and dominance on others against their will. If some men rape other men in prison it is so to exert their power and dominance on other men. The thrill is in feeling superior and powerful.

If you want to put it in biblical terms, Sodom and Gomorrah was not about homosexuality but about gang-rape. In ancient times (and I guess sometimes that still occurs today) a way to exert domination was through gang-rape. this also is done to humiliate the enemy. What the men in the Sodom and Gomorrah story wanted to do was to humiliate the angels through rape.

Generally, men who rape other men are heterosexual men. Obviously, it is not your average heterosexual man who would do this since most don't feel the need to do such things.

Discussing these topics is very delicate because many times there are homophobic and cultural biases and conflations regarding homosexuality.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:04 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post

Discussing these topics is very delicate because many times there are homophobic and cultural biases and conflations regarding homosexuality.

What exactly is a Homophobic?

A person who believes homosexuality is a sin and against the nature of heaven and Earth?

I am a man, and I have been with another man but I saw it as sin when it happened and I see it as sin now, and I repented of my sin.

But because I see it as sin, I am a homophobic aren't I?

Old 04-06-2015, 12:06 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
Same-sex rape has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Homosexuality: sexual, emotional and romantic attraction to the same sex.

Same-sex rape is not about sexual, emotional or romantic attraction; it is about exerting power and dominance on others against their will. If some men rape other men in prison it is so to exert their power and dominance on other men. The thrill is in feeling superior and powerful.

If you want to put it in biblical terms, Sodom and Gomorrah was not about homosexuality but about gang-rape. In ancient times (and I guess sometimes that still occurs today) a way to exert domination was through gang-rape. this also is done to humiliate the enemy. What the men in the Sodom and Gomorrah story wanted to do was to humiliate the angels through rape.

Generally, men who rape other men are heterosexual men. Obviously, it is not your average heterosexual man who would do this since most don't feel the need to do such things.

I agree. But it is illustrative of a proper understanding of the entire Sodom-Gomorrah story in Genesis, a foundation among fundamentalists who stand against gay rights and gay marriage. The entire male population of Sodom could not have been gay when they approached Lot's home. They were attempting to do what men do in our own prison systems--dominate the "stranger" that comes through the doors. THAT was the sin of Sodom. Nothing to do with homosexuality at all.

But it is simply astonishing to see ignorant posts about women turning "butch" because of their time in prison. It exhibits a lack of perception, a failure to research, and a heart hardened against a group of people simply because of how they were born. And the information I posted indicates the hetero men committing these rapes do not see themselves as "homosexual." They see themselves as "in control."

No Christian should accept such callous comments from a poster without challenging both their validity and their honesty.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What exactly is a Homophobic?

A person who believes homosexuality is a sin and against the nature of heaven and Earth?

I am a man, and I have been with another man but I saw it as sin when it happened and I see it as sin now, and I repented of my sin.

But because I see it as sin, I am a homophobic aren't I?
Homophobia is kind of subtle in certain statements.
The story of Sodom and Gomorrah is very much used to vilify homosexual men labelling them as predators and rapists. Even though the story is not about homosexuality but about gang-rape the story is used for such act of vilification of homosexual men.

What you believe or not has no relevance. Unless there is evidence of anything you believe it doesn't matter at all.

You are homophobic if you deem LGBT people less than heterosexual people, if you have hate in your heartand if you think and or fight to oppress and eny right to LGBT people.

Nothing good comes from homophobia so no one in his right mind should feel proud of being one.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I agree. But it is illustrative of a proper understanding of the entire Sodom-Gomorrah story in Genesis, a foundation among fundamentalists who stand against gay rights and gay marriage. The entire male population of Sodom could not have been gay when they approached Lot's home. They were attempting to do what men do in our own prison systems--dominate the "stranger" that comes through the doors. THAT was the sin of Sodom. Nothing to do with homosexuality at all.

But it is simply astonishing to see ignorant posts about women turning "butch" because of their time in prison. It exhibits a lack of perception, a failure to research, and a heart hardened against a group of people simply because of how they were born. And the information I posted indicates the hetero men committing these rapes do not see themselves as "homosexual." They see themselves as "in control."

No Christian should accept such callous comments from a poster without challenging both their validity and their honesty.
Whatever helps vilify LGBT people works for fundamentalists.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 AM

939 posts, read 795,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It will come to pass.

These people, and 140 others, were murdered this week in Kenya just because they were Christians.

Edit: Removed photo. It may be too graphic for some.
It will only escalate in time. If "Christians" had murdered muslims, there would be a MUCH BIGGER uproar.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:25 AM

939 posts, read 795,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What's got your undies in a bunch is that today separation of church and state prevents you from imposing your bigotry on everybody else. If you don't like it here, then leave. You and your bigotry won't be missed.
Your mind reading skills are deplorable.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
It will only escalate in time. If "Christians" had murdered muslims, there would be a MUCH BIGGER uproar.
True. The media would make sure of it.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
You mean like Christians killing Muslims in Central Africa Republic last year? Not sure how the fact that not only do Muslims kill Christian but Christians kill Muslims influences a person on whether the attend or not a friend's wedding.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I have a friend who I have known for years, but they turned to the gay lifestyle a few years ago and is now getting married. I dont support the LGBT lifestyle and even though they are a good friend, its still a surprise to me and I dont agree of her new lifestyle.

Would it be wrong as a Christian to attend a gay wedding supporting her as a friend or should I just stay away from it all together?
As a friend, should you attend your friend's wedding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity