Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christians attend a friends gay wedding?
YES 148 75.13%
NO 49 24.87%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,139 times

Advertisements

Why let mindless superstition get in the way of friendship?

Old 04-20-2015, 01:41 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Not agreeing with homosexuality does equal bigotry or hate.

Using your definition, if 2 people come together and cheat on their spouse and are living in adultery, you would be a bigot for speaking out agaisnt it by showing where the bible says adultery is a sin. If someone wanted to marry 3 women and they all agree, telling them Jesus said marriage is between 1 man and woman would be hate and bigotry because I wont support their polygamy.

Two unbelievers can get married and they are still seen as married in the eyes of God. 2 gay people getting married dont care about marriage, all they want it government benefits. You cant Love and worship God and then live a lifestyle that he calls an abomination.

Should gays be abused for their sexual preference? No as heterosexuals shouldnt either
Should gays get the same befits are married folks? No as they are just friends trying to get the same benefits of something God designed(marriage) and they want to corrupt.
You want to tell two people that they are "just friends"? And you know this, how?

Granted, I get squicked out by male-male sex, but I know the two indeed do love each other. They have story of how they met, like everyone else. They have love life, squabbles, and all the ups and downs of everyone else in love. Because that's what they are.

You can quote scripture all you want, but you won't convince me of anything. I know in my heart what is right.

You asked us to advise you on the wedding. We told you. Now you are arguing with us, rationalizing using scripture.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:44 PM

963 posts, read 689,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
Try thinking of it this way. No one is free of sin (as I'm guessing you're implying), but someone who chooses to continue homosexual romance or intercourse after marriage is perpetuating that sin indefinitely with no conviction to change their ways. It's like asking if someone should go to their friend's wedding who they know is an adulterer. Would it be ok for them to show up at the wedding to support the marriage, if they know the man or woman is having an affair, that they will be sleeping with their adulterous lover that wedding night, and will also continue the adulterous relationship long after being married? What if the friend, who is also a follower of Christ, sees no wrong in cheating on their partner and continuing the affair? Would it still be ok to be a "good" friend and support their sin? Does the fact that their friend sees no harm in having an ongoing affair mean that it must be ok, or that God approves of it?

Some may answer "Of course not!", because affairs and adultery are looked down upon by almost all people - Christian or non-Christian. That's irrelevant, however because even though general human moral code may say it's wrong, the fact that God declares that it's wrong is vastly more important. Even those that are not of the kingdom of God do "moral" things from time to time, but they are still lost to sin in God's eyes as they don't have the hope of glory in Jesus Christ.

Since homosexuality has become more accepted in worldwide culture, people believe it's ok for someone to perpetuate that sin even after accepting Christ. Yes, God does forgive us of our sins if we repent of them, but repentance doesn't mean we ask for forgiveness and then keep on sinning with a hardened heart that destructively resists God. It means we do our utmost with the strength of the Spirit in us to reject that urge to sin and live in accordance with God's will. I can't understand how blatantly defying God and condoning sin can be endorsed by any Christians who are truly open to hearing the Spirit of God.
Well stated. Let those who have ears to hear, hear. May those witb eyes to see, see.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,172 times
That sounds right. But it's not.

There is a reason this is called the Old Testament. And there is a New Testament. We lived under the old laws of the Jewish Torah, many centuries ago. We don't eat kosher anymore. There are women who wear pants (but curiously, it is still considered taboo to have the reverse).

The New Testament, however, was the one Jesus designed. If not for Paul (not a real Christian, never met Jesus), we would have ditched these rules like so much baggage.

The point of marriage is the commitment between those involved, to love each other, for better or worse, until death do us part. A sin would be any action that drove people away from greater closeness, from greater love. For instance, if a person who preferred homosexual relationships was convinced by third parties to have a "real" marriage, and they tried to suppress these desires, until they couldn't anymore... what do you think would the greater sin be? That they started a marriage by what you define as sinful behavior? Would you condemn them to a loveless marriage because it offended your sensibilities? Or worse, if they committed adultery because they couldn't find love within the marriage, would that not be the greater sin?

I'm a MtF genderfluid person. I would be happiest with a FtM genderfluid person, and secondarily to a genetic girl. While I could have people tell me that as a person in the transgender spectrum, I should transition to fit with the gender binary, and be with a male, I genuinely wouldn't be happy. This is exactly the same.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
WHY are you posting in the CHRISTIAN forum when you reject its basic teachings? Yes, homosexuality is a grave and capital sin. Putting your friendship with the world above obedience to God is a sin. Yes it is wrong, which was the absurd question.

Of course God gave you free will to give Him the finger and align yourself with sinners in the practice of their sins.
YOUR CHOICE!

Of course, at the end of this short life is the JUDGEMENT.

If you promote a LIE in the name of Christ, some of us will take you to task
SIIN! SHAAAME!

Please. Just let me live my life and then we'll see who does or doesn't burn in hell for eternity.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:45 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

Please. Just let me live my life and then we'll see who does or doesn't burn in hell for eternity.
Luke 16

19 “Now there was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day. 20 And a poor man named Lazarus was laid at his gate, covered with sores, 21 and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man’s table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. 22 Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried out and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father’s house— 28 for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham *said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Old 04-20-2015, 04:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
WHY are you posting in the CHRISTIAN forum when you reject its basic teachings? Yes, homosexuality is a grave and capital sin. Putting your friendship with the world above obedience to God is a sin. Yes it is wrong, which was the absurd question.

Of course God gave you free will to give Him the finger and align yourself with sinners in the practice of their sins.
YOUR CHOICE!

Of course, at the end of this short life is the JUDGEMENT.

If you promote a LIE in the name of Christ, some of us will take you to task
That is exactly why I am here. To counter the man-made lies some would dare tell as truths when they themselves are so far from the truth.

Posting you're a Christian, yet forsaking the commandment to LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR

Rejecting your neighbor and teaching H8 because they dare to live differently from you.

Putting your EGO and PERSONAL PRIDE ahead of your neighbor and Your God.

YES, it is wrong, which makes your comment that more absurd.

Of course God gave you freewill to manipulate His message and hold humanity's JOY HOSTAGE with your self-serving cries of persecution...

But when it is all said and done, we both know what side of the PEARLY GATES you will be watching from as Jesus proclaims WELL DONE...

YOUR CHOICE!! YOUR DESTINY! YOUR HELL, YOU BURN IN IT...

Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 PM

1,422 posts, read 950,950 times
Q: As a Christian, should I attend my friends gay wedding?

Paul coined the word 'Christian'.

What would Paul do?

A: Do whatever Paul would do.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
figures ... this never ending futile attempts to justify ungodly behavior.

How's this for an alternative John 2:9-11:

the master of the banquet called the bridegroom aside because the bridegroom disapproved of what "everyone" else did since being drunk is not God pleasing. And since the bridegroom was more interested in what God approves than seeking approval of men by having unlimited wine and being held accountable for encouraging and endorsing an ungodly behavior, Jesus found his way to be present at this wedding.

And because it was the bridegroom's desire to keep the wedding in accordance to a God pleasing atmosphere, the bridegroom did something else unlike "everybody" else ... he limited the amount available, thus Mary's comment to Jesus: "They have run out of wine".
Yet another addition to the WORD by men hell bent on justifying their beliefs..

But John tells us the wine WAS NOT LIMITED, it was served after they were DRUNK..add all the verses you wish, you will never alter the Word..

Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 PM

963 posts, read 689,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
SIIN! SHAAAME!

NOBODY said you can't. What was clearly a troll posing a hypothetical (I don't b elieve for a minute that he/she is serious) ASKED if it was wrong to attend a ceremony where two deviants will call themselves married.

You got a variety of answers. You don't like mine.

If you don't want a CHRISTIAN opinion, DON'T ASK. But then you need to ask so you can go on attack.

Silly me, I THOUGHT this was a CHRISTIAN forum where the participants wanted SERIOUS discussion FROM THE SCRIPTURES.

I now realize that is not the purpose of this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity