Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 06:30 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I have been a life long advocate for Civil Rights in this country. You wish to discriminate? I will engage. You do not think the LGBT community should get married. I will engage. It is that simple.

We have evolved. Or ,some of us have evolved. We used to believe owning another person was dandy. We used to think women should not own property or vote, and black men had to jump through hoops to vote.
I remember black men, and women being killed, because they wanted a seat at the table. Black children were denied a good education with their peers.

I was pretty insulting to the opposition, their racism and bigotry, too. I make no apologies for my behavior, and own every word I say. Fundamentalist ideologues hide behind the words of others to justify their behavior. God likes my way better. Much better.

Move over. The LGBT community is taking a place at the table. They will marry and have children as they see fit. They will not be fired for being LGBT. The ideologues are losing their power, and ability to marginalize, and disenfranchise other members of the community.

I am delighted to be a witness to history.

LOL, You mean the beginning of the end of the human race when everyone turns gay?

Couldn't help myself.

I'll give you about 180 days and you will actually be a witness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's a little cold. If you are not willing to support people like her in any way shape or form, then what kind of church family are you a member of? Church is supposed to be like family, not a place where people tell each other to "deal with their own problems". Why do you go to church?
Cold? I do not involve myself in the personal lives of others. If they invite me in, I am perfectly capable of lending an ear. It ends there. I do not give advice. I am a sounding board. I do not take sides, and the conversation remains between the two of us. It goes no further.

If there are issues of abuse, I will pull out my handy, dandy, book of tricks, and give them the name of a good counselor. I will also give them the phone number to a shelter where they will be safe.

If children are being harmed. I am legally obligated to report to the police, and the person has no claim of confidentiality with me. My obligation goes to the child and to the law.

I do not gossip, or judge the relationship, nor will I gossip to others about it.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
LOL, You mean the beginning of the end of the human race when everyone turns gay?

Couldn't help myself.

I'll give you about 180 days and you will actually be a witness.
I am delighted to be witness to history. Much longer than 180 days

Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
That's a little cold. If you are not willing to support people like her in any way shape or form, then what kind of church family are you a member of? Church is supposed to be like family, not a place where people tell each other to "deal with their own problems". Why do you go to church?
1. She does not go to my church

2. To help EVERY individual on the planet is not financially feasible.

3. YES, she must assume responsibility for her decisions.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
OK, now I know you just against Christians in general.
The only christians I am against are those, like you, who attempt to impose your religious dogma onto our secular society. Quit doing that and you'll never hear a peep out of me.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Cold? I do not involve myself in the personal lives of others. If they invite me in, I am perfectly capable of lending an ear. It ends there. I do not give advice. I am a sounding board. I do not take sides, and the conversation remains between the two of us. It goes no further.

If there are issues of abuse, I will pull out my handy, dandy, book of tricks, and give them the name of a good counselor. I will also give them the phone number to a shelter where they will be safe.

If children are being harmed. I am legally obligated to report to the police, and the person has no claim of confidentiality with me. My obligation goes to the child and to the law.

I do not gossip, or judge the relationship, nor will I gossip to others about it.
Yes, the "none of my business, she can deal with it on her own" attitude is cold. Also, the fact that you would not care whether or not the cheating husband and his new lover continue to attend the church where the wife is a member further displays the "what do I care" attitude.

Or maybe you misundertand the "do not judge" command in the Bible. In the example I gave, the church leadership has a duty to do something aka judge, but the judgment must be done righteously. Allowing the cheating unrepentent husband and his new GF to continue attend would be unrighteous judgment for several different reasons which I already explained. Doing nothing in this case is equally bad as making the wrong call.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
I hope my gay friends will forgive me but every time I see the subject line and the phrase "Under Gay Attack" I think of being pelted with powder puffs and subject to some really bitchy glares.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The only christians I am against are those, like you, who attempt to impose your religious dogma onto our secular society. Quit doing that and you'll never hear a peep out of me.
You need to quit pretending something is being imposed to you. You are free to reject everything you hear. No one wil force you to do anything you don't want to do. Unfortunately that choise is not extended to Christians any more.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Matthew 28:18-19
Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.' "
Whether or not you or zthatzmanz28or any other of the so-called "tolerant" that makes a habit of being two-faced about the Bible admit .... the Deity Godman Jesus actually commanded his believers to do what you call "impose dogma onto our society".
  • Therefore go and make disciples of all nations
  • teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. ~ Jesus

This again isn't about anything other than those who oppose the truth ... oppose those who dare to repeat it to an unbelieving society.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, the "none of my business, she can deal with it on her own" attitude is cold. Also, the fact that you would not care whether or not the cheating husband and his new lover continue to attend the church where the wife is a member further displays the "what do I care" attitude.

Or maybe you misundertand the "do not judge" command in the Bible. In the example I gave, the church leadership has a duty to do something aka judge, but the judgment must be done righteously. Allowing the cheating unrepentent husband and his new GF to continue attend would be unrighteous judgment for several different reasons which I already explained. Doing nothing in this case is equally bad as making the wrong call.
I think it is odd you know so much personal information of another couple in your church. We call those busybodies. Make that judgmental busybodies. The tisk-tiskers. They tend to seek information from others by pretending to know more than they do about a situation. No piece of gossip, is too small to share.

I prefer to believe people go into a church to connect with God. Other than the joy of that sharing moment, I have no problem letting adults handle their own affairs, with the exception of physical abuse.

I do not misunderstand, I see you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity