Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 05:32 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,723,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I read them.

Those "fundies" you are accusing are Christians, and everyone knows it. Are you saying they are not? If so, then feel free to explain the difference between a Christian and a "fundie".
A fundie is a "Christian" by the Book (or Law). Real worshippers of the one true God are Jesus followers and follow Him regardless of your misrepresentation of the Book. OUR Book teaches that Jesus is SUPERIOR to the Law, to the Book, and to the godless interpretation of the OT by fundies.
Quote:
I'm not the one rewording other peoples comments. You did that, not me.

Of course it is all about Christianity, and Christian views.
Incidentally, I have an agenda as well that has nothing to do with gays. MY agenda is to make you feel uncomfortable. And I suspect it works because you've put me on block like jeff.

Make someone uncomfortable like Jesus did, and they immediately run looking for a rock to hide under. Eventually it will fall on your head!

No you don't reword anything anyone else says because an original thought never entered your head.

What your posts consist of are:
1. Complaining that "bible believers" are persecuted.
2. Avoidance of straight answers to any questions (as you have ignored posts of questions from several others).
3. Claiming their is an agenda (hinted at being "evil") behind anyone who won't kiss the butt of your spiritual beliefs.

I hope that made you EXTREMELY unsettled. And, of course, you will forgive me as you see me as an angry person. I am. Like Jesus. At people like you who weaponize Scripture. It's cruel, selfish, self-serving, an attempt at being domineering, and avoids all science and scholarly study, lacks love, compassion, and empathy.

Hi Mr. Tin Man, sans any desire for a heart!

Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM

661 posts, read 522,572 times
I don't have a very strong belief about homosexuality or LGBT issues one way or the other, but the Bible used by Christians does condemn homosexual activities and celebrating it's behavior. There are examples of people even within church organizations who have more liberal views of homosexuality who go as far to vilify those who preach it is sin as either evil or stupid. The part that is dishonest is when these churches try to find an explanation for a "secretly accepting Bible" to suit an ulterior agenda whether driven by profit or something else.

If a church or other group is going to teach the belief that homosexuality is wrong, at least own it and stick to your original principles. It will just lose relevance and die anyway.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:40 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,536,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If you want to set off most conservative Christians get on the topic of homosexuality or gay rights. The anger most of them have regarding this issue is unfathomable. Get on the topic and most conservative Christians will take on an anger and a zeal that you don't see when talking about any other issue except maybe abortion. Whenever LGBT-advocates have a political or cultural victory, Facebook fills up with right-wingers venting their anger and hatred towards these individuals. The same people come to the defense of people like Josh Duggar. Why is this? It seems to be getting a lot worse as many of the beliefs once confined to extremist groups like Westboro are now gaining traction among mainstream evangelicals.

Why is it that a man can cheat on his wife and molest his sister, and have Mike Huckabee call for forgiveness but as soon as somebody comes out as gay, you have Huckabee and his ilk calling on God to wipe America off the face of the planet for simply allowing them to exist?

You ask most people this question and they will say its because the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination. Want to know what also is an abomination? A lying tongue, (see Proverbs 12:22), yet religious right politicians have no qualms with spinning the truth when it suits their agenda. Most people who cry and scream about homosexuality probably aren't even aware of what else the Bible calls an abomination.
Wow, I just realized this is an almost 4 year old post, lol. Anyway, I think you're painting with enormously broad strokes here and, to a certain extent, chasing phantoms. You've got extremists in every sector of society, including the Left. I remember seeing only a few people defend Josh Duggar. He got what he deserved. When anyone of any group wants to infringe on other's privacy rights (ie LGBT), resistance to that isn't "hate" any more than your post of disagreement with right wingers should be considered hate. But I do consider when a group requires you agree with any demand or political dogma they exert "or else" to be hate. Can we then say the LGBT community is one of "hate"? Can I also say MOST of them get angry with venom and bigotry when you bring up the topic of Christians? I'm only saying that this works both ways. So this, IMO, isn't about who is "right" or "wrong", but is agreement with you required in order for me to not be "filled with hate". If so, then are you not also "filled with hate" if you have a disagreement with me? Sometimes when we're given or expecting preferential treatment, when we're given equal treatment, it feels like "discrimination". That's why I hold EVERYONE to the same standard and many people/groups hate that. You have your rights as long as they don't infringe on others. But you also have responsibilities and no social or (*gulp*) identity group is above that. No matter if you're religious, gay, white color, black/white, etc., I hold you to the same standards with rights AND responsibilities. The gay community has the same responsibilities to be accepting, tolerant, and sensitive to others as Christians. Placating to select Identity Groups only creates perpetual victims and perpetual villains with no regard to truly equal rights and responsibilities across every area of society.

Last edited by march2; 05-07-2019 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 07:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Wow, I just realized this is an almost 4 year old post, lol. Anyway, I think you're painting with enormously broad strokes here and, to a certain extent, chasing phantoms. You've got extremists in every sector of society, including the Left. I remember seeing only a few people defend Josh Duggar. He got what he deserved. When anyone of any group wants to infringe on other's privacy rights (ie LGBT), resistance to that isn't "hate" any more than your post of disagreement with right wingers should be considered hate. But I do consider when a group requires you agree with any demand or political dogma they exert "or else" to be hate. Can we then say the LGBT community is one of "hate"? Can I also say MOST of them get angry with venom and bigotry when you bring up the topic of Christians?

I'm only saying that this works both ways. So this, IMO, isn't about who is "right" or "wrong", but is agreement with you required in order for me to not be "filled with hate". If so, then are you not also "filled with hate" if you have a disagreement with me? Sometimes when we're given or expecting preferential treatment, when we're given equal treatment, it feels like "discrimination". That's why I hold EVERYONE to the same standard and many people/groups hate that. You have your rights as long as they don't infringe on others. But you also have responsibilities and no social or (*gulp*) identity group is above that. No matter if you're religious, gay, white color, black/white, etc., I hold you to the same standards with rights AND responsibilities. The gay community has the same responsibilities to be accepting, tolerant, and sensitive to others as Christians. Placating to select Identity Groups only creates perpetual victims and perpetual villains with no regard to truly equal rights and responsibilities across every area of society.
Who are the one's that are taught to discriminate against those whom they view as abominations. It seems to me, that the fight was brought to them by and through religious fundamentalism and this certain sect do not like it when others stand up for themselves or their rights as individuals.

Last edited by Jerwade; 05-07-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 07:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The problem with that, as you know, is that Christians are not all of one mind on this subject.
Divide all you want. No one will stop you.

New GAP translation: "I’m certainly not like that bigoted, hateful fundie. I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income".

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-07-2019 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Really? 60%? Got any facts for that statement? Because that certainly doesn't jive with the Pew Research studies I have seen.... If I remember correctly, about 22-25% of Christians were what people may call "fundies". Certainly nowhere close to 60%.
I agree. The 60% actually represents something else, not the number of "fundies". My mistake. Evangelical protestants aka "fundies" are the largest Christian group in US, and represent about 25% of the entire adult population, or about 65 million Americans

Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:

New GAP translation: "I’m certainly not like that bigoted, hateful fundie. I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income".
You've been away so long, but I remember well how you love to come in here and restate other people's posts into something they never were in order to try to get a reaction.

This one was pretty lame, too. You're getting rusty.

Have a nice evening, Finn.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The problem with that, as you know, is that Christians are not all of one mind on this subject.
Quote:

Mr. Twister is back. LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8eb_ACLl8

Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
At least he's not clever enough to be subtle.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,723,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Wow, I just realized this is an almost 4 year old post, lol. Anyway, I think you're painting with enormously broad strokes here and, to a certain extent, chasing phantoms. You've got extremists in every sector of society, including the Left. I remember seeing only a few people defend Josh Duggar. He got what he deserved. When anyone of any group wants to infringe on other's privacy rights (ie LGBT), resistance to that isn't "hate" any more than your post of disagreement with right wingers should be considered hate. But I do consider when a group requires you agree with any demand or political dogma they exert "or else" to be hate. Can we then say the LGBT community is one of "hate"? Can I also say MOST of them get angry with venom and bigotry when you bring up the topic of Christians? I'm only saying that this works both ways. So this, IMO, isn't about who is "right" or "wrong", but is agreement with you required in order for me to not be "filled with hate". If so, then are you not also "filled with hate" if you have a disagreement with me? Sometimes when we're given or expecting preferential treatment, when we're given equal treatment, it feels like "discrimination". That's why I hold EVERYONE to the same standard and many people/groups hate that. You have your rights as long as they don't infringe on others. But you also have responsibilities and no social or (*gulp*) identity group is above that. No matter if you're religious, gay, white color, black/white, etc., I hold you to the same standards with rights AND responsibilities. The gay community has the same responsibilities to be accepting, tolerant, and sensitive to others as Christians. Placating to select Identity Groups only creates perpetual victims and perpetual villains with no regard to truly equal rights and responsibilities across every area of society.
Have you heard any national platforms of LGBTQ people calling for the execution of Christians? Ever? Anywhere?

I, on the other hand on this very thread have posted numerous examples of "christians" calling for the government to execute or imprison gay people. Maybe that's why some can be quite vehement in talking about "christians." On the other hand we've had a transgender lady on her, raised in a Christian home but rejected and thrown out that home by her family because she is a "sinner." Geekigurl. She knows her Bible backwards and forwards and better than any doofus fundamentalist that might post in here.

Here are a couple of links where you can read about or see preachers calling for the death of homosexuals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldzLdCcZ2HA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83kIAfuKoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOGoDroQgZw

And here is a church that allows a toddler to sing "Ain't no homo gonna make it to heaven," to the cheers of the congregation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upO6_aMEnjo

It's widespread, pernicious, and don't think for a moment all the fundamentalists on here aren't secretly agreeing with the sentiments expressed.

Now please, surely there are videos of gays calling for the murder or imprisonment of christians. Can you provide us with just one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.