Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 02:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,384,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Ahh, the classic "No True Scotsman". Well, if the only "true Christian" is the fundies, I definitely don't want to end up wherever they do, and I certainly don't want to worship the same God they do... Just horrifying. On both accounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, you may notice that he turns every criticism of "fundies" into an "attack on Christians" as if fundies were not an easily identifiable subgroup that warrants separate criticism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yes, I have noticed that.... They are an easily identifiable group, and there is definitely a need to differentiate when having a conversation, since most Christians are NOT in this group.
It's like dealing with a virus that has consumed them.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I would not say something if it were not true. It is you who uses the false accusation tactics.
What you said is not true. Period.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:04 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I get tired of "fundies" (which is a derogatory term, btw) being villified over this issue as if we are the only sect of Christianity that opposes homosexuality. I came across this article today and one thing that stands out is how the issue has caused division across the board. There are Christians from several various denominations even the most gay friendly ones who do not support homosexuality.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...exas-epicenter
ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Vilification of Christians (yes, "fundies" are Christians) is a part of the gay agenda, as is dividing people into groups and then playing them against each other.

Evangelicals represent tens of millions of Americans (largest group of Christians), and on top of that 30% of Catholics (2nd largest group) also believe the Bible should be taken literally, so its a LOT of Christians under attack.
t
Yes, jeffbase, prejudice is pervasive and hard to root out. The point here is that "fundies" are the most vocal and generally the most vicious critics, but still just a subset of "Christian," and subject to focused criticism that does not include the majority of the general category.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:12 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,721,807 times
Quote:
I get tired of "fundies" (which is a derogatory term, btw) being villified over this issue as if we are the only sect of Christianity that opposes homosexuality. I came across this article today and one thing that stands out is how the issue has caused division across the board. There are Christians from several various denominations even the most gay friendly ones who do not support homosexuality.

Well let me dissipate your ignorance a bit—-really mostly for others as you never listen and have me blocked anyway.

I AM a UMC member and our western division has a lesbian regional bishop for the past two years:
Quote:
Bishop Karen Oliveto comes to the Mountain Sky Area after serving as senior pastor of the 12,000-member Glide Memorial United Methodist Church in San Francisco for eight years. She is the first woman to be senior pastor at Glide, the fifth largest United Methodist congregation in the U.S. She is the first woman to serve as senior pastor in one of the denominations 100 largest U.S. congregations.

"My dream is that we live into beloved community. My dream is that we live boldly as the body of Christ. and love so fully, so completely, that the neighborhoods in which United Methodist Churches stand in are utterly transformed by the love that spills out of these communities,” Bishop Oliveto said in a pastoral letter to the members of the 400 churches she will serve.

The Mountain Sky Area covers all of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah and a small portion of Idaho. The two regional conferences that comprise the area, the Rocky Mountain Conference and the Yellowstone Conference, are in the process of creating a new annual conference under the name Mountain Sky.

Bishop Oliveto is the first openly lesbian bishop in The United Methodist Church. Her wife, Robin Ridenour, a nurse anesthetist, is a deaconess in The United Methodist Church.
Bishop Karen Oliveto

The world is changing, God is becoming larger and small minds with bigoted beliefs are shrinking.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What you said is not true. Period.
Jerwade isn’t completely correct. It is you who are the EPITOME of one using false accusation tactics.

Jerwade just calls out a brood of vipers when he spots them.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Does that invitation include kleptomaniacs? After all ,they cant help who they are either so we should just accept what they do.
What the heck? Now you're just being silly. Kleptomania is a mental illness. Homosexuality is a human aspect one is born with, no different than blue eyes or lefthandedness.

But yes, there are mentally ill parishioners in my church, though no kleptomaniacs as far as I know.

That's off-topic for this thread, though.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
ce

t
Yes, jeffbase, prejudice is pervasive and hard to root out. The point here is that "fundies" are the most vocal and generally the most vicious critics, but still just a subset of "Christian," and subject to focused criticism that does not include the majority of the general category.
The term “christian” was once a pejorative, later became a respectable term, and in the last 100+ years is rapidly becoming a pejorative once more thanks to the insidious work of fundamentalists like jeff.

That’s why true worshippers of the founder of Christianity prefer “Jesus follower” now. We prefer not to be misidentified with ugly religion.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-08-2019 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 05-08-2019, 03:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,384,178 times
Quote:

Did you actually read the entire article?

Old 05-08-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Did you actually read the entire article?
He wouldn’t get it even if he had. The gist of the article is how the church lags behind society in cultural change and traces divisions in churches, primarily Methodist, due to outdated “morality” that is mostly immoral.

He is likely to believe that black people came from the sin of Ham(race was the church issue compared to homosexuality in the article), Noah’s son, when internal biblical evidence suggests white people may be descendants of blacks.

Quote:
In the Hebrew, Adam (or Ahdahm) is defined as swarthy, dusky, reddish-brown soil, dark-skinned like a shadow. Aphar: The soil from which Adham was made, meaning: dust, clay, always very black or very dark brown in color.
(The Biblical History of Black Mankind by C. McGhee Livers)

jeff never thoroughly reads anything or “lowers” himself to think logically or intellectually about any subject. He remains the spiritual classic example of pigheadedness.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What the heck? Now you're just being silly. Kleptomania is a mental illness. Homosexuality is a human aspect one is born with, no different than blue eyes or lefthandedness.

But yes, there are mentally ill parishioners in my church, though no kleptomaniacs as far as I know.

That's off-topic for this thread, though.
After getting his head put in his lap for constantly comparing homosexuality to pedophilia and bestiality, jeff was moved to find another sin (which is one of which he most likely can’t be accused) to try to make homosexuality appear “evil.” He doesn’t get that when two people of the same sex love one another there is nothing wrong with it.

His continued obsession with sexual sin appears to me to be a indication of personal sexual dysfunction. His predilection for focusing on gays reminds me of another psychological problem.

I don’t care what people do in bed, whom they do it with, how often, or why so long as it is consenting by both adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity