Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 09:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks
Tell that to the numerous men I know that grew up in church and hated themselves for desiring other males. Do you know how many have knelt at an alter in silent agony praying with everything in their power for God to take those desires away? Most men I know that grew up in church and find themselves with same sex attraction have done everything possible to choose to be straight including marrying women to make it so.

How totally off base your comments are in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not off base...

Dealing with sin is never easy or fun, and sexual sins are a different breed than other sins. I don't envy anyone who has to go through that. Especially when it stems from children being abused and it takes root in one's adult life.
Your first statement is a fallacy perpetrated by conservative Christians, many of whom are obsessed with the sexual practices of others.

As to your second statement ...the jury is out on that one. A formerly abused child may have been 'gay' before the abuse occurred and therefore remains 'gay' into adulthood. A formerly abused child may have been 'straight' before the abuse occurred and therefore remains 'straight' into adulthood. There is no way that this can be verified one way or the other. It is highly unlikely, however, that one would go against their 'natural', i.e. inborn, sexual persuasion whether abuse occurred or not. What you are implying is that ALL abused children were 'straight' to begin with. Moreover, this notion goes out the window completely where so many gay people say that they were NEVER abused as children.

Quote:
I don't have a good response as far as making it easier, but the Bible is clear on homosexual activity.
Oh, I SO agree. And, I've tried and tried to make this point MANY times on this thread that the 'homosexual activity' that the Bible clearly addresses pertains to temple prostitution and pagan idolatry.

However, I don't think that I've ever asked this question of YOU personally, DRob, so I will do so now. Where, other than in the context of temple prostitution and pagan idolatry, is 'homosexual activity' addressed in the Bible?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Not off base...

Dealing with sin is never easy or fun, and sexual sins are a different breed than other sins. I don't envy anyone who has to go through that. Especially when it stems from children being abused and it takes root in one's adult life.

I don't have a good response as far as making it easier, but the Bible is clear on homosexual activity.
If the Bible were clear then there would not be so many Jesus followers interpreting it differently. Eventually we did with regard to racism, but many of your current evangelical white brethren would still have a collar around your neck.

You believe the garbage thrown out by Jerry Falwell who switched his diatribe to homosexuals and atheists after being a racist was no longer popular:

Quote:
Decades before the forces that now make up the Christian right declared their culture war, Falwell was a rabid segregationist who railed against the civil rights movement from the pulpit of the abandoned backwater bottling plant he converted into Thomas Road Baptist Church. This opening episode of Falwell’s life, studiously overlooked by his friends, naïvely unacknowledged by many of his chroniclers, and puzzlingly and glaringly omitted in the obituaries of the Washington Post and New York Times, is essential to understanding his historical significance in galvanizing the Christian right. Indeed, it was race–not abortion or the attendant suite of so-called “values” issues–that propelled Falwell and his evangelical allies into political activism.
https://www.thenation.com/article/agent-intolerance/
This is why you will be beaten with many stripes, not a few. You have deliberately chosen the stance of an anti-Christ bigot to be your own. How very “white” of you!

Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yet you haven’t an iota of scientific data showing sexual attraction is voluntary. Not a shred. And from your own experience I’m sure you have seen half a dozen good looking women come into a room but your eye is primarily attracted to just one. You don’t know why, you just know the attraction.

Food is an excellent example. It is something we cannot live without in the same way intimate companionship was decreed by God to be necessary. And there are a few who do live isolated, unfulfilled lives, exactly as you are decreeing for homosexuals.

But your view is that you yourself “decide” who you are attracted to. That’s a load of hogwash and you know it is.
https://www.elitedaily.com/p/can-you...ts-say-9953123
You can LOSE sexual attractiveness for someone, but that initial attraction has never been a choice.
Here is an article from this year:
http://deeperdatingpodcast.com/sexual-attraction/
Thousands of homosexuals have tried to force attraction for the opposite sex. Mel White, in his book Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay And Christian In America, stated he loved his wife of many years but could not have sex with her without thinking about a man. He went to every kind of gay conversion therapy including electric shock, and ultimately could not reject his homosexuality nor his love for God (several books attributed to Billy Graham, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell were ghostwritten for them by Mel).

You are so in love with your bigotry that you have told yourself a lie over and over so many times that you’ve come to believe it without ever experiencing it.
Joseph Goebbels, Chief Propagandist for the Third Reich
It's a choice. It may be an easy choice based on who you are, but it's still a choice. You can choose which sex you want. You can choose to be attracted to certain hair color, skin color, tone of voice, body type, etc. It's a choice.

You want to hold the position that your attractions aren't a choice, that's up to you. A person's actions are absolutely their choice. If you know your attractions are leading you towards sexual sin (homo or hetero), if you are in Christ, you have to recognize it as sin and avoid it as much as possible.

Because I say it's a choice, I am now a bigot and you are throwing Nazi quotes at me. You people can't have a conversation without name calling and demeaning others.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
If the Bible were clear then there would not be so many Jesus followers interpreting it differently. Eventually we did with regard to racism, but many of your current evangelical white brethren would still have a collar around your neck.

You believe the garbage thrown out by Jerry Falwell who switched his diatribe to homosexuals and atheists after being a racist was no longer popular:

https://www.thenation.com/article/agent-intolerance/
This is why you will be beaten with many stripes, not a few. You have deliberately chosen the stance of an anti-Christ bigot to be your own. How very “white” of you!
My race has nothing to do with this. Please stop.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
It's a choice. It may be an easy choice based on who you are, but it's still a choice. You can choose which sex you want. You can choose to be attracted to certain hair color, skin color, tone of voice, body type, etc. It's a choice.

You want to hold the position that your attractions aren't a choice, that's up to you. A person's actions are absolutely their choice. If you know your attractions are leading you towards sexual sin (homo or hetero), if you are in Christ, you have to recognize it as sin and avoid it as much as possible.

Because I say it's a choice, I am now a bigot and you are throwing Nazi quotes at me. You people can't have a conversation without name calling and demeaning others.
Obviously, you are a visual person, who really doesn't understand a thing about human sexuality.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
However, I don't think that I've ever asked this question of YOU personally, DRob, so I will do so now. Where, other than in the context of temple prostitution and pagan idolatry, is 'homosexual activity' addressed in the Bible?
Lev 18
Lev 20
Rom 1
1 Cor 6
1 Tim 1
Jude v7

You can try and paint a nice picture around it all you want. Homosexual activity is not of God.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:57 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Lev 18
Lev 20
Rom 1
1 Cor 6
1 Tim 1
Jude v7

You can try and paint a nice picture around it all you want. Homosexual activity is not of God.
Except when Jonathan and David, or Ruth and Naomi are involved, right?

Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
My race has nothing to do with this. Please stop.
It has everything to do with the punishment you will receive. Having been subjected to discrimination because of how you were born, you now want to discriminate against others based on how they were born.

It's the act of a hypocrite.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Lev 18
Lev 20
Rom 1
1 Cor 6
1 Tim 1
Jude v7

Evidently, you wish to join those who do not comprehend that it has nothing to do with Christianism today. They used to lie with effeminate young slave boys. And then, there is the issue of prostitution and idol worship, which many of you want to sweep under the carpet of ignorance. Furthermore, the term homosexual was a latter addition (1946), under a completely different context of modern fundamentalism which is similar to that of racism and/or denying women various rights (treating them as less-than). If you do not want to acknowledge this, then that is your choice.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:41 AM

1 Corinthians 7:2
Because of the temptation to sexual immorality, EVERYONE should have their own MAN or WOMAN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.