Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:10 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,815,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Are you suggesting that you don't teach that practicing gays are ongoing deliberate and willful sinners ? Because you know what I am talking about .

We teach that ALL are deliberate and willful sinners.

Does your church have a stance on evolution and creationism ? Would your church hire a minister of any sort who professed a belief in evolution and denied creationism or ID ?
I answered that earlier. We believe in creationism, but have no official stance on young or old earth. We would NOT hire a minister who denied creationism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My church has a large group of singles and a vibrant college ministry (we are a mega-church, near a top 10 US city). We also have Democrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
nuff said.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:45 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,831,192 times
Quote:
I'm not saying homosexuality is cool, I'm simply saying that it is something that conservative churches obsess over while their youth for the most part do not, having grown up in a culture that is simply more tolerant as a whole, and one that can't grasp the mostly now disappearing racism of some of their elders , and tend to regard their stance on homosexuality as along the same lines of intolerance . I know this first hand from being involved with the youth in my church and in talking with friends fretting over the fact that THEIR kids and their friends are "too accepting " of gays .
This is true. For the older generation of evangelicals, homosexuality is one of the worst sins a person can commit. It's on par with pedophilia or incest or possibly even worse. It's the "love that dare not speak its name." The younger generation tends to have a more live and let live attitude about it. Of course, there are exceptions. Younger people in the IFB/homeschool movement can be just as homophobic as the older generation. However, the majority aren't as obsessed with it and are turned off by churches that make a huge deal about it.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
These young kids have no spiritual backing or knowledge, so when they graduate atheist have a field day on them.

Look up the amount of youtube videos in which Hebrews will ask many young college age Christians stuff right out their own bible and they dont have a clue, because they know alot about Jesus, but pretty much nothing about God.

Why do you believe what you believe and can you back it up with your bible in proper context, can cause many young Christians to walk away from the church or God all together when they cant defend their faith. If you know alot about the bible, you can take 10-20 verse and flip the context of it and completely destroy many young CHristian teens and young adults. because until they go and read the scriptures for themself and understand the context of the story, their own bible can easily be used against them.
No, its YOUR interpretation of the Bible that is driving them away. And you can't stop it, because the more it occurs the more dogma driven fundamentalists become:

Quote:
Millennials view religious demands for the oppression of LGBT people to be a bizarre and offensive anachronism. And as the major denominations vocally assert that opposing equal rights for LGBT people is a nonnegotiable condition of membership in the Church of Not-Gay, young people are driven away in greater and greater numbers. This may well be a self-reinforcing cycle, as people turned off by constant homophobic rhetoric leave the churches, which results in diluted power for religious conservatives, who then bear down even harder on the anti-gay message. The same arrogance and institutional blindness that got them into this spiral make it almost impossible for them to see the problem and pull out of it.
Godless millennials could end the political power of the religious right | Adam Lee | Opinion | The Guardian

So I personally love your self imposed demise.

It didn't bother Christians 60 years ago to demean black people and defend it with the Bible. Now even YOU consider that "unblblical." In 50 more years the remaining Christians will see YOU as unbiblical. Pat Robertson's daddy, a conservative senator, did so. Now Pat, boy, uses some of the exact language his daddy did to demean blacks to demean LGBTQ folks.

Quote:
So…you are the son of God, but you rebuke the religious leaders? You are from a poor family, but you claim to be a king? You are a king, but your kingdom is not of this earth? You say you will live forever, but you are hanging on a cross?

I am convinced this is why Jesus frustrated the religious elite. “Just pick a side man. Stop saying you are religious while you eat dinner with tax collectors.”
Just when someone thought he belonged to one camp, he did something to refute it. When people in the world are unable to categorize or label someone they get angry and frustrated. This is the case with Jesus…this is the case with Millennials. They appear to be headed one way, then they change gears. They can’t be trusted. They are fickle. They are different.

Millennials, you are not alone. The inability of Jesus to fit nicely into a certain group eventually got him killed. But his inability to fit nicely into a group also brought salvation to the world.
http://frankpowell.me/jesus-millennial/
So praise God and pass out another jar of ugliness and call it "jesus whoopazz," seeing as how much good that modern bibliolatry does you.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 02-27-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 02:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,225,811 times
Kids today are too smart and too educated to continue to believe the silliness espoused by fundamentalists.

If churches want to hang on to their young parishioners they have to become more relevant and above all, more truthful and tolerant.

That means dumping the absolutely stupid denial of evolution, admitting donkeys and serpents didn't REALLY talk and accepting women and the LGBTQ as full partners - including as pastors/ministers.

For starters.

I applaud those strong and smart enough to leave churches that teach lies and intolerance.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:42 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,290,360 times
Quote:
I answered that earlier. We believe in creationism, but have no official stance on young or old earth. We would NOT hire a minister who denied creationism.

And so I reiterate . Obsession with other people's sex lives and an anti science attitude will inevitably drive away college kids that get away from the daily indoctrination and find out that what they were told about evolution and science in church is hogwash and the science makes perfect sense when truly understood , and discover that homosexuals are pretty much like everyone else and not a group that needs to be discriminated against because of some religious prejudice .

I personally don't care if the churches ever wise up and fix these problems . Let it be their doom, while they try to plug the holes in the dam with "Survivor Sunday School" or whatever other fad they come up with to try and stem the tide of youth leaving .

Old 02-27-2016, 02:53 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Kids today are too smart and too educated to continue to believe the silliness espoused by fundamentalists.

If churches want to hang on to their young parishioners they have to become more relevant and above all, more truthful and tolerant.

That means dumping the absolutely stupid denial of evolution, admitting donkeys and serpents didn't REALLY talk and accepting women and the LGBTQ as full partners - including as pastors/ministers.

For starters.

I applaud those strong and smart enough to leave churches that teach lies and intolerance.
I would agree with you regarding evolution, accepting women,and the LGBTQ. But, personally I've seen too many talking mules and snakes on these very forums to deny they exist.:

Old 02-27-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
And so I reiterate . Obsession with other people's sex lives and an anti science attitude will inevitably drive away college kids that get away from the daily indoctrination and find out that what they were told about evolution and science in church is hogwash and the science makes perfect sense when truly understood , and discover that homosexuals are pretty much like everyone else and not a group that needs to be discriminated against because of some religious prejudice .

I personally don't care if the churches ever wise up and fix these problems . Let it be their doom, while they try to plug the holes in the dam with "Survivor Sunday School" or whatever other fad they come up with to try and stem the tide of youth leaving .
And I told you, we are not obsessed with gays and we are not anti-science.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:34 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,290,360 times
Quote:
And I told you, we are not obsessed with gays and we are not anti-science.

You're not anti science? Here's a question for you . In order to believe in creationism, how many branches of science do you think you have to deny? (Hint. It's more than just biology)

Old 02-27-2016, 03:45 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,831,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Agree with this. Also, "relevant" doesn't mean a rock band, light shows, and coffee in the service. Young people are not stupid and they can see through the facade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity