Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:44 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So the pronoun HIS is reserved for your interpretation of god?
Well, this thread is about Christ and you’re a Christian. I assumed that’s who you meant. Who did you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 06:08 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The spirit tells us what sin is. We don't need a book to tell us.
Ah, but my Spirit tells me that sexual deviency is immoral. And, God’s Word, the Scriptures, reaffirms it. There can be only one abosulte Truth. Your feelings and rebellion does not make it true.

I understand that the facts can be harsh and difficult to hear. We all struggle with sin. But we should not glorify in it

Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Ah, but my Spirit tells me that sexual deviency is immoral. And, God’s Word, the Scriptures, reaffirms it. There can be only one abosulte Truth. Your feelings and rebellion does not make it true.

I understand that the facts can be harsh and difficult to hear. We all struggle with sin. But we should not glorify in it
If you agree with one small part of it, then the ENTIRE THING must be true as well, right? Including the things you yourself probably don't understand. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.

That's faulty reasoning, and you shouldn't fall for those kind of snake oil tactics. It's like falling for the worst kind of salesman. They start with one think you agree with. Then slowly add more and more until you eventually accept everything they say, without question.

It also causes racism, sexism, and all kinds of bigotry by appealing to the lowest nature in people.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:

The question to ask then is whether "your" spirit leads to harm for people and no indication that the thing condemned itself causes any real harm. That should indicate where "your" spitit is coming from.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:17 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The question to ask then is whether "your" spirit leads to harm for people and no indication that the thing condemned itself causes any real harm. That should indicate where "your" spitit is coming from.
Telling people about the Truth is not doing harm. Leading people down the path of sin most certainly is.

Riddle me this. What separates your religion from the Muslim, Hindu, Confucius, and other hundeds of religions out there? You have no background to base your faith other than your feelings. Your religion makes no sense and has no rational. Why say that you are a Christian? Anything you know about Jesus is what you have heard about the Bible, a book that you don’t believe in.

Do you see why you and others who suffer from the same struggle with sin sound just a bit irrational? You must see this.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:11 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Telling people about the Truth is not doing harm. Leading people down the path of sin most certainly is.

Riddle me this. What separates your religion from the Muslim, Hindu, Confucius, and other hundeds of religions out there? You have no background to base your faith other than your feelings. Your religion makes no sense and has no rational. Why say that you are a Christian? Anything you know about Jesus is what you have heard about the Bible, a book that you don’t believe in.

Do you see why you and others who suffer from the same struggle with sin sound just a bit irrational? You must see this.
I've never seen nate say he didn't "believe" in the Bible. But he definitely doesn't believe it in the fashion that you do. Neither do I.

What I've seen of what YOU believe about the Bible takes away freedom in Christ. It's all about rules and regulations--and you are stressing there is to be no emotional effort at all. It's obvious you have never been in love or been loved because it is impossible NOT to have emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75PhVl7f8HA

When you're in love---everybody knows. And that's why we know you aren't.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If you agree with one small part of it, then the ENTIRE THING must be true as well, right? Including the things you yourself probably don't understand. I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.

That's faulty reasoning, and you shouldn't fall for those kind of snake oil tactics. It's like falling for the worst kind of salesman. They start with one think you agree with. Then slowly add more and more until you eventually accept everything they say, without question.

It also causes racism, sexism, and all kinds of bigotry by appealing to the lowest nature in people.
Yes, they call them grifters, an old timey word. A grifter is someone who swindles you through deception or fraud. Waving God before us all----their concept of God---is an attempt to appeal to a sense of personal morality while placing shackles on your heart over everything you say and do as if God is unable to speak to you in His own way.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 PM

The other thing fundamentalists like about their view of "freedom in Christ," is all the miracles they can point to. Unexplainable, supernatural miracles. It's a core tenant of their belief system.

But all around them real miracles occur and they never even notice them or acknowledge how God uses PEOPLE to create miracles -- naturally. That's another proof they don't truly know God---just god in a book.

Here is the best "magic" show you will ever see---I promise. It started out slow, but by the time it is done you understand this "magician" knows God far better than any of the "god in a book" Christians. In real Christians, this "magic" will bring tears to your eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWTedvxEifE

Real Christians see God in EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, only the fake ones keep Him in a book and are unable to share the joy that others find ---even in "magic."

That, my friends, is Freedom in Christ.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 07-10-2018 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:

Actually ALL religions hold some things in common---and they are primarily emotional:

Quote:
The common core truth is emotional. Spiritual paths can result in a radically different lived experience due to inside out transformation. These transformations result from practices that shift the mind, such as meditation, prayer, devotion/gratitude, service, communion, silent retreat, etc.
Here are some of these emotional truths common to all religions:
[1]Bliss that hides in selflessness
[2]Peace hidden in surrender
[3]Gratitude as the deepest form of acceptance
[4]Losing yourself to find yourself
[5]Reality is what you make of it
[6]Intuition of the unfathomable mystery
[7]Non judgment/non attachment leads to kingdom of heaven/nibbana
https://www.quora.com/What-is-one-th...m-and-Buddhism

Now some quotes from each religion that may have slightly different phraseology, but mean quite the same thing. (same source)

“You have lived on the earth in pleasure and luxury; you have fattened your hearts as in a day of slaughter.” James 5:5

By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin,” Judaism (quoting Hebrews 11:24,25)

"Renunciation of worldly pleasures is the attribute of the God-wary and the quality of the repentant." Islam, Ghurar al-Hikam wa Durar al-Kalim

“Attached to sensual pleasures, attached to sensual ties, seeing no blame in the fetter, never will those attached to the fetter, the tie, cross over the flood so great & wide.” Buddha

All the misery of the world is caused by this slavery to the senses. Our inability to rise above the sense-life — the striving for physical pleasures, is the cause of all the horrors and miseries in the world. Hinduism

Now which of the above statements do you think Jesus would find utterly disgusting? Which utterly reject "Christian" values? So, in fact, YOUR religion resembles many others as well.

Maybe God has reached out to provide a kernel of truth to many peoples since even you think God created all people.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
As Christians we have freedom in Christ. We can have Church at any time on any day. We can pray, sing songs, and yes, dance all for His good pleasure. We can place trees in our living room. That tree may have had pagan origins but it holds absolutely no power over us today. We use it as a reminder of our Lord’s birth and call it blessed.

I like tradition. I like that we have a day to remember when Jesus came into this world as a man and a day that marks His sacrifice and our salvation. I like to go to church early on Sunday mornings. I eat chocolate bunnies at Easter. I don’t do it for some fertilty ritual but because I like chocolate.

Lets not abuse our freedom to commit sin in His presence.
If you can’t sin, then it is not true freedom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity