Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 05:57 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
With your bigoted comments about Christianity, you are a fine one to call the opinions of others bigotry. In this forum there is more bigotry about Christianity than there is about secularism.
And the point is that some traditional Christian attitudes DO cause harm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 08:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I would like to thank omega once again for so diligently demonstrating the deleterious effects of religion on the human brain.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:50 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

WE are not talking about attitudes, we are talking about what the Bible teaches. Even there you need to be specific. You are not familiar enough with the Bible to know if what you consider a non-Christian is a Christian teaching. Secular attitudes, which I assume you accept, also cause harm. Also, just because you think it causes harm, does not mean it does. You criticize them only because you disagree with them.

It is always a good idea to be sure your facts are right before you criticize what you don't understand.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I would like to thank omega once again for so diligently demonstrating the deleterious effects of religion on the human brain.

That is even a dumber remark than clang, clang.

You are stuck with an ego so big you think if you say something is deleterious , it is deleterious. To be accurate you need to understand what you are criticizing. Your extreme bias and bigoted remarks, highlight your ignorance of the subject.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Let's not abuse our freedom by claiming something is "sin" without good cause.
Quote:
Quote:
WE are not talking about attitudes, we are talking about what the Bible teaches. Even there you need to be specific. You are not familiar enough with the Bible to know if what you consider a non-Christian is a Christian teaching. Secular attitudes, which I assume you accept, also cause harm. Also, just because you think it causes harm, does not mean it does. You criticize them only because you disagree with them.

It is always a good idea to be sure your facts are right before you criticize what you don't understand.
No, I am talking about what many churches, especially evengelical churches teach. Secular attitudes that have no foundation in fact or community value need to be confronted also, but this is not the "Secularity" forum.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
WE are not talking about attitudes, we are talking about what the Bible teaches.

Yeah, ok.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Those who believe in eternal damnation or that of complete destruction are the advocates of separation.
Which comes from the framework or mentality of "do this or else," you will suffer forever, and ever?
Quote:
Jesus talked more about hell than He did about heaven. If you can prove the Bible is wrong about hell, please do so. Your opinions are worthless.
Actually, he didn't, but that won't stop you from making a false claim.
And the concept of Hell has already been refuted multiple times.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for someone who judges fundamentalism, and you are ignorant of the real definition, from their ignorance of it. The desire to witness shows a love for others. The book you disdain speaks of hell and unless your words witnessing to men witnessing to men can be proved, you are not loving your neighbor as yourself. You are only expressing a self-made, non-Biblical theology. You have made yourself omniscient, instead of God. WE do not determine what sin is. We accept what God say sin is. You try to determine what sin is by your own secular theology. What makes you think you are right?

I challenge you to post one example in the Bible of men changing God's mind. I can guarantee you this, fundamentalist have not only read the Bible more than you have, they have actually studied it, which you have not.
I WAS a fundamentalist until God opened my eyes. I went to a VERY conservative Christian College where the President was a past president of Gideon's International.

Words are just B.S. unless one lives them. Ever read James? Faith without works is dead.

And I'm not omniscient. I've proven myself able to change as God gave me more light. It's obvious that it has been withheld from you for some reason.

As far as "accepting" what God says is sin---would you like to engage in a thread that proposes God has time and again overlooked the commandments HE gave in the OT in order to bless sinful men? Want to see what God hasn't given you insight to see? Then start the thread so God can use the most sinful Christian in the world (me!!) to enlighten you.

Finally, thanks for making it easy to show you that you may read the Bible, but you don't really SEE what's in it. It's okay---- I was the same way when I was your kind of fundamentalist.

So--the single response to your request "I challenge you to post one example of men changing God's mind."

Quote:
King Hezekiah was a good king of Judah. He introduced religious reforms and brought back the Law of Moses to the land. He destroyed the high places and the idol worship from the land. He helped return Israel to following the LORD.

Hezekiah became sick to the point of death (Isaiah 38) and Isaiah the prophet went to him and declared the message of the LORD. Hezekiah would die.

This news struck the heart of Hezekiah. He prayed to the LORD. He asked God to remember him and to spare his life. Hezekiah prayed earnestly with bitter weaping (Isaiah 38:2-3).

The LORD heard the prayers of Hezekiah the king and sent Isaiah the prophet back to him with a message. God said that he heard his prayer, that he saw his tears and that He would add fifteen years to his life (Isaiah 38:4-5).

The plan for Hezekiahs life was changed because of prayer. If the prophet of God delivers a message to you that your life is over, your life is over. The prophet Isaiah is not going to Hezekiah on his own volition, but as the mouthpiece of God.

God’s will was for Hezekiah to die. His prayer changed the mind of God.
Our Prayers Change the Mind of God | Our Biblical Point of View

If one doesn't believe prayer can change one's life, they shouldn't waste time on it.

But here are a couple of other quick verses without commentary to give you an idea that maybe your thoughts about God are of your own making and not Scriptural at all.

Quote:
When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.
Jonah 3:10

Quote:
But Moses entreated the LORD his God, saying, “O LORD, why does Your anger burn against Your people, whom You brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand? Why should the Egyptians declare, ‘He brought them out with evil intent, to kill them in the mountains and wipe them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your fierce anger and relent from doing harm to Your people. Remember Your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, to whom You swore by Your very self when You declared, ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky, and I will give your descendants all this land that I have promised, and it shall be their inheritance forever.’ Why should the Egyptians declare, ‘He brought them out with evil intent, to kill them in the mountains and wipe them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your fierce anger and relent from doing harm to Your people. Remember Your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, to whom You swore by Your very self when You declared, ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky, and I will give your descendants all this land that I have promised, and it shall be their inheritance forever.’” So the LORD relented from the calamity He had threatened to bring on His people.…
Exodus 32:11-14
God cannot be put in a box nor a book.

Here's another for you, one about which fundamentalists are convinced they know answer---and I already have the answer so perhaps you should REALLY search your Bible carefully before you decide you know the answer:

Has any man ever seen God?

And being humbled by someone who knows the Bible better than you thought you do is God's way of giving one an opportunity to change and realize virtually anyone can hold the key to unlocking our hearts to hidden wisdom.
That's how it happened for me, and why I am no longer a fundamentalist. And it's why I'm not "lording" it over you, but offering you the same chance to change your own views that God gave me----through other sinful men.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:52 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I WAS a fundamentalist until God opened my eyes. I went to a VERY conservative Christian College where the President was a past president of Gideon's International.

Words are just B.S. unless one lives them. Ever read James? Faith without works is dead.

And I'm not omniscient. I've proven myself able to change as God gave me more light. It's obvious that it has been withheld from you for some reason.

As far as "accepting" what God says is sin---would you like to engage in a thread that proposes God has time and again overlooked the commandments HE gave in the OT in order to bless sinful men? Want to see what God hasn't given you insight to see? Then start the thread so God can use the most sinful Christian in the world (me!!) to enlighten you.

Finally, thanks for making it easy to show you that you may read the Bible, but you don't really SEE what's in it. It's okay---- I was the same way when I was your kind of fundamentalist.

So--the single response to your request "I challenge you to post one example of men changing God's mind."

Our Prayers Change the Mind of God | Our Biblical Point of View

If one doesn't believe prayer can change one's life, they shouldn't waste time on it.

But here are a couple of other quick verses without commentary to give you an idea that maybe your thoughts about God are of your own making and not Scriptural at all.

Jonah 3:10

Exodus 32:11-14
God cannot be put in a box nor a book.

Here's another for you, one about which fundamentalists are convinced they know answer---and I already have the answer so perhaps you should REALLY search your Bible carefully before you decide you know the answer:

Has any man ever seen God?

And being humbled by someone who knows the Bible better than you thought you do is God's way of giving one an opportunity to change and realize virtually anyone can hold the key to unlocking our hearts to hidden wisdom.
That's how it happened for me, and why I am no longer a fundamentalist. And it's why I'm not "lording" it over you, but offering you the same chance to change your own views that God gave me----through other sinful men.
Israel was about to consummate a marriage with a God, and in doing this, their bodies would have become pregnant where they would have given forth immortal bodies of that consummation. But because God found them in adultery, he said,'' Now the whole world will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord.''

Moses then went back up to the mountain to get something completely new. He brought them the design of a true virgin, and a design of a uterus to put inside a Temple that represented a bride. He designed a temple as a virgin with it's priests practicing a consummation all those years dressed like a circumcised Phallus clothed in their seed trying to get past a wall of separation just as it is with a virgin.

Nobody had ever consummated the covenant because the virgin stayed in tact until Jesus. Jesus came as the true Temple housing the spirit, he came as the one and only true virgin to God, and when he yelled out on the cross, a consummation took place where that veil had to be ripped as a witness, and as was practiced for thousands of years, the water and the wine{blood} came out as a legal witness to a consummation just as 1 John 5 states, it is the water, the blood, and the spirit that bear witness.

Jesus was then planted as a seed into the ground wrapped like a cocoon about to bear a new creature, and he became the very first born son of many sons to follow.

The firstfruit.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
No, I am talking about what many churches, especially evengelical churches teach.

You still need to specific. Then show where what they are teaching is in he Bible. Some denominations teach drinking alcohol is a sin. The Bible doesn't make it a sin, so anyone teaching that is in error.

Quote:
Secular attitudes that have no foundation in fact or community value need to be confronted also, but this is not the "Secularity" forum.

But it is the secularist who make the false accusations against Christianity, You need to more informed about what the Bible says, before you join them in their accusations. Do you ever confront the secularist when they make false accusations? Do you ever criticize trout for his bigoted remarks. I will certainly confront any Christian if they make any unChristian remarks of makes a claim the Bible does not teach.

If you only criticize the Christians, shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity