Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
...snip...

I don't see how a church that can so solidly back illegal immigrants, and house the homeless in our church buildings, can turn its back on gay people.
Good for you.

But to help you understand how there are people like that who fill pews every Sunday, you just need to hang around this forum for a while - rather than the saner-per-capita section known as Religion & Spirituality.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good for you.

But to help you understand how there are people like that who fill pews every Sunday, you just need to hang around this forum for a while - rather than the saner-per-capita section known as Religion & Spirituality.
I didn't think in my church they did. I guess there's still hope - apparently some churches are breaking from the whole. No word yet on my church leaderships decision on how to proceed.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:32 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I didn't think in my church they did. I guess there's still hope - apparently some churches are breaking from the whole. No word yet on my church leaderships decision on how to proceed.
I went to a Methodist church several years ago who had an openly gay assistant pastor. I thought they were ahead of their time, and I say good for them!

Old 03-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I went to a Methodist church several years ago who had an openly gay assistant pastor. I thought they were ahead of their time, and I say good for them!
I have a former co-worker who is now a Methodist minister, and she's openly gay.

Not United Methodist, though, which I think is the difference.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
There are churches that would fit your liberal viewpoint.
I believe the evidence has shown that it is your conservative viewpoint which is more correlated to the kinds of churches where the child abuse occurs.

Catholic and SBC are both fairly conservative, would you not agree?

Old 03-03-2019, 06:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Much of this discussion is about the Methodist church "causing" a split by not bowing to demands to change its traditional stance on ordaining homosexuals and conducting same sex marriages. These issues have repeatedly been pushed to the forefront, in spite of overall denominational opposition, and will likely be raised again. Now, those demanding change are threatening to 'split' or leave the UMC because the majority voted to hold the line on their long established position. The UMC is neither asking or demanding that they leave.

Other denominations have folded to these same demands ... producing a major split in those denominations (Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Evangelical Lutherans). Faced with the prospect of a similar split, the Methodists delegates followed the input of its greater membership ... which has grown increasingly liberal over the years.

Members of the LBGTQ community have always had access to and been included and welcomed in the UMC church - but, that's not enough for the activists. In spite of claims of 'non-inclusion', the real issue here is about the right of the UMC to establishing its own leadership and doctrine base on its interpretation of Scripture.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:32 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm sorry, but there is no verse in the Bible that affirms that sin is good, or that our churches should affirm it. Nor is there even a passage or verse that can be reasonably "interpreted" to mean that. It clearly states homosexual acts are sin, and it condemns those that turn from the natural to lust for the unnatural in Romans 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
And there are those who disagree with your interpretations of various passages. So, your view that you are correct is not the only view that should be considered. Obviously, people disagree, therefore you have division and separation, especially among the churches - but that does not give anyone the right to discriminate against another human being, irregardless of what it is you personally believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Only liars disagree with what is plainly said.
The very definition of delusion or also considered a seared conscience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If you are calling me a liar, then you are delusional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Not sure why you would insult me personally when the s.o.p specifically warns not to do so. That is what is plainly said.

If english comprehension is one of your weak areas. Or perhaps english isn t your first language.
What I posted is called a general statement. Similarly the Holy scripture is not interpreted per say of eisegesis.
No, if one is to worship in Truth then they would adhere to an exegetical process of study. Prefferably using PaRDeS.
The p stands for a plain reading.

Otherwise as I said before.
Someone with a seared conscience would simply lie and manipulate the Holy scriptures.
And there are very dire consequences for doing so.
I speak seven languages, so comprehension isn't a problem. As for insulting people, you are well known for doing that on the board and in direct messages. I have even had to inform you directly to stop messaging me with your nonsense. And read what I actually said with comprehension, "If you are calling me a liar? Then, you are delusional." (...does that help your understanding?)

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-04-2019 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Much of this discussion is about the Methodist church "causing" a split by not bowing to demands to change its traditional stance on ordaining homosexuals and conducting same sex marriages. These issues have repeatedly been pushed to the forefront, in spite of overall denominational opposition, and will likely be raised again. Now, those demanding change are threatening to 'split' or leave the UMC because the majority voted to hold the line on their long established position. The UMC is neither asking or demanding that they leave.

Other denominations have folded to these same demands ... producing a major split in those denominations (Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Evangelical Lutherans). Faced with the prospect of a similar split, the Methodists delegates followed the input of its greater membership ... which has grown increasingly liberal over the years.

Members of the LBGTQ community have always had access to and been included and welcomed in the UMC church - but, that's not enough for the activists. In spite of claims of 'non-inclusion', the real issue here is about the right of the UMC to establishing its own leadership and doctrine base on its interpretation of Scripture.

It seems pretty clear that's not true.

If they don't welcome gay pastors, and don't marry gay couples, that's not "included". That's "excluded". I would call that "barely tolerated" don't ask don't tell policy.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...jected/583693/

Thought you guys might find this interesting.
Definition of conservation
1 : a careful preservation and protection of something
especially : planned management of a natural resource to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect
water conservation
wildlife conservation
2 : the preservation of a physical quantity during transformations or reactions

Use of adjectives without discretion is a common motivator of a strife.
To conserve or preserve life is an honorable quality that most people welcome.

On the contrary hate is likened to murder. There is no truth in those who hate righteousness.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:44 AM

pinacled, I can't grasp your thinking.

You are missing the point, the message brought by your Savior, in how you get to Heaven. You are carefully following all the rules, cloaking yourself in clean garments, getting your self to worship services.

You're missing that you're not loving your neighbor as yourself. Which was a biggie. You're walking past the battered and hated man on your way to a church service.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity