Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude
Fundies aren't into the whole "doing good" thing. They're into saying the Magic Words To Jesus which is all they believe needs doing in order to pave their way to heaven.

It's hard to be like Jesus but it's dead-easy to be a fundie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am a Wisconsin synod Lutheran. We are a conservative Lutheran church body that believes everything God has told us in the Bible. Certainly homosexuality is sinful and the idea of allowing gay marriage, gay clergy or gay church members is an affront fo God. I am shocked anyone would rub their sin in Gods face.
So, it's only the 'sinners who rub their sin in God's face' who are frowned upon? What about all of the other sinners in your church? Or, don't you have sinners in your church?

Such religious piffle!

Quote:
Your comments about “doing good” are disturbing as well. No good works can get you into heaven, we are not capable of making up for our sinful behavior. What we deserve is eternal death in hell.
If it's death and death is eternal as in non-existent forever and ever then what difference does a specific location make to the non-existent eternal dead? That said, why are 'we' deserving of eternal death? Should we not blame the Creator for having designed inferior beings who cannot possibly live up to the expectations OF that Creator? To attain perfection we would need to have been created in the actual image of that Creator. We were not, despite what the Bible might say.

Quote:
The gift of salvation is just that....a free gift. It is an undeserved gift. Any good works we do are done in thankfulness to the Lord. This is all the work of God. There are no “magic words”. I am sure my beliefs will confirm to you that I am a fundie. Leftists and atheists love to insult us by calling us fundies, but what I really am is a Christian saved by grace and grace alone.
You are a Wisconsin synod Lutheran who believes in the party-line of your particular denomination. That's it.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:34 PM

63,829 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ok, whatever gets you through the night.

Yes, they are free to leave and join a more liberal church, or even open a new one.

The church in question is free to make their own policy, and it seems they have chosen to follow the Biblical teachings regarding this issue, and their motivation is to honor God with their actions. You can disagree with their choice, but their heart is still in the right place.
Their hearts are NOT in the right place. The way to love God according to Jesus is to love one another. The way to be Born of God is to love one another. Jesus instructed His disciples to love one another who you can see so that you can love God whom you can NOT see. All this nonsense about honoring God is man-made and assumes that anything we do can add to the glory or honor of God, which is preposterous.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
I am a Wisconsin synod Lutheran. We are a conservative Lutheran church body that believes everything God has told us in the Bible. Certainly homosexuality is sinful and the idea of allowing gay marriage, gay clergy or gay church members is an affront fo God. I am shocked anyone would rub their sin in Gods face. Your comments about “doing good” are disturbing as well. No good works can get you into heaven, we are not capable of making up for our sinful behavior. What we deserve is eternal death in hell. The gift of salvation is just that....a free gift. It is an undeserved gift. Any good works we do are done in thankfulness to the Lord. This is all the work of God. There are no “magic words”. I am sure my beliefs will confirm to you that I am a fundie. Leftists and atheists love to insult us by calling us fundies, but what I really am is a Christian saved by grace and grace alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
So, it's only the 'sinners who rub their sin in God's face' who are frowned upon? What about all of the other sinners in your church? Or, don't you have sinners in your church?

Such religious piffle!

If it's death and death is eternal as in non-existent forever and ever then what difference does a specific location make to the non-existent eternal dead? That said, why are 'we' deserving of eternal death? Should we not blame the Creator for having designed inferior beings who cannot possibly live up to the expectations OF that Creator? To attain perfection we would need to have been created in the actual image of that Creator. We were not, despite what the Bible might say.

You are a Wisconsin synod Lutheran who believes in the party-line of your particular denomination. That's it.
It is disturbing to see that fundamentalists have made God in their own image.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:29 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Default The question is which side will leave

The United Methodist News had this article in it:

Quote:
A large meeting of centrist and progressive United Methodists from the U.S. is set for May 20-22 at the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas.

The question to be asked is a big one: What should become of The United Methodist Church?

“We hope that this will be a diverse group of leaders who will help shape Methodism’s future and whatever comes out of those conversations will be our next steps and strategies moving forward,” said the Rev. Jasmine Smothers, lead pastor of Atlanta First United Methodist Church.

Specific options to be considered include breaking up the denomination or creating a financially smooth exit plan for traditionalist-minded congregations, said the Rev. Adam Hamilton, another organizer, in a blog post.

By a vote of 438 to 384, the 2019 General Conference passed the Traditional Plan, which retains church policy that the practice of homosexuality “is incompatible with Christian teaching” and strengthens bans against same-sex unions and ordination of “self-avowed practicing” gay clergy.

The constitutionality of the legislation will be reviewed by the Judicial Council later this month. But the vote by General Conference, which met Feb. 23-26 in St. Louis, has been greeted with dismay and resistance by many moderate and progressive United Methodists.

Some who had supported the One Church Plan, which would have given conferences and churches leeway on ordination and same-sex unions, have begun to question openly whether the denomination should or can hold together
https://www.umnews.org/en/news/centr...churchs-future

It was a close vote illustrating an almost even divide.

I’m getting ready to move to east central Tennessee, a very conservative area, and of the two Methodist churches in our future community, the larger, with about 500 members, has an open door policy for LGBTQ people. I thought I would not have a church home, but now have found one.

In 50 years, “christians” decrying homosexuality will be as out of touch with evolving morality as they became 50 years prior over “separate but equal.” I grew up during that era and was saved in a segregated Southern Baptist Church.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:43 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
I am a Wisconsin synod Lutheran. We are a conservative Lutheran church body that believes everything God has told us in the Bible. Certainly homosexuality is sinful and the idea of allowing gay marriage, gay clergy or gay church members is an affront fo God. I am shocked anyone would rub their sin in Gods face. Your comments about “doing good” are disturbing as well. No good works can get you into heaven, we are not capable of making up for our sinful behavior. What we deserve is eternal death in hell. The gift of salvation is just that....a free gift. It is an undeserved gift. Any good works we do are done in thankfulness to the Lord. This is all the work of God. There are no “magic words”. I am sure my beliefs will confirm to you that I am a fundie. Leftists and atheists love to insult us by calling us fundies, but what I really am is a Christian saved by grace and grace alone.
Stop reading insults where none are intended. It has long been established on this forum that "Fundy/fundie" is a common term used as a short word for "fundamentalist". In fact, one of you took that as part of his screen name. As you point out, a fundamentalist can be a Lutheran of your synod, a Baptist, a non-denominational person, etc. All base their belief on The Fundamentals, a set of essays demonstrating the belief that the Bible is the literal, inerrant Word of God. For lack of a better term, "fundamentalist" is a useful catchall term to describe that belief and identify those who believe that way separately from Christians who don't.

Basically, "fundie" is just easier to type.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Thank you for further illustrating the cold heart, dark spirit, and closed mind of a fundie.

I take heart in the certain knowledge and you and your spiritually-stunted ilk are doomed to extinction.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:36 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
In the end "Love Wins". They have decided to split over this issue - or non issue.
Those who are opposed to LGBTQ marriage will be called "Traditionalist Methodist". The more progressive branch as I understand it, will retain the name "United Methodist".

Old 01-03-2020, 01:38 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Thank you for further illustrating the cold heart, dark spirit, and closed mind of a fundie.

I take heart in the certain knowledge and you and your spiritually-stunted ilk are doomed to extinction.
Way to insult, mock and demean only as you can do. Everyone here has come to expect it.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Way to insult, mock and demean only as you can do. Everyone here has come to expect it.
Poor, sad, deeply bitter Fundie.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:23 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Poor, sad, deeply bitter Fundie.
I get it. You believe you're entitled to mock others because we don't believe as you do. Hitler taught that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity