Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nope. You can seek to honor God by creating graven images of a calf, but if you do, you've missed the mark.
Sure, marks are easily missed when one ignores what God said about any given issue. You can open the Bible and see what God said about worshiping idols and learn God specifically said you should not do that. Same goes with the topic at hand. If you know what God wanted, and you obey, you are honoring God with your actions. If you know what He wanted, and choose to disobey, they you are not honoring God with your actions.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:49 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
"Their heart is in the right place" isn't good enough for us.

That might be good enough for non-members.

Their ACTIONS have to be in the right place. That's what members need to demand.
Who is us?

I sense a familiar tone of force in that statement.
No, means no.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Who is us?

I sense a familiar tone of force in that statement.
No, means no.
"Us" are the members of the United Methodist Church.

And we don't have to take "no means no". We ARE the church, and can take our membership/loyalties/resources to congregations who do allow gays to participate fully.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure, marks are easily missed when one ignores what God said about any given issue. You can open the Bible and see what God said about worshiping idols and learn God specifically said you should not do that. Same goes with the topic at hand. If you know what God wanted, and you obey, you are honoring God with your actions. If you know what He wanted, and choose to disobey, they you are not honoring God with your actions.
I don't believe gay people are sinning, but I do understand that biblically, there is some cause for people who think it's a sin. I just personally don't believe it, and believe strongly it's a characteristic set at birth. Before birth even.

So. For those who believe homosexuality is sinful, Do you not allow anyone who is a sinner to be in your church?

People who have stolen, coveted, not kept holy the Sabbath, told lies and will likely tell lies in the future, etc.?

'Cause that's going to be one mighty small church.

And then, when you stand before the Pearly Gates and St. Peter says did you keep the commandment to love one another as Jesus loved you, you can say well, for the most part, I guess. Except sinners. Didn't love and include them.

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean God doesn't love hetersexuals. It's just that they need more supervision. - Lynn Lavner

Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
"Us" are the members of the United Methodist Church.

And we don't have to take "no means no". We ARE the church, and can take our membership/loyalties/resources to congregations who do allow gays to participate fully.
This sounds more like your own personal prerogative and choice. In no way does that warrant the suffix of us that you used.

Respect of righteous leaders who care for and love their neighbors and Love the Lord with all their heart ensure the well being of a generation so as to be taught sound doctrine.
If for example a known criminal organization sneaks in to a congregation and begins to extort and attempts to coerce leadership into money laundering.
I would hope said leadership would do the right thing.

"A little leaven"

Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
This sounds more like your own personal prerogative and choice. In no way does that warrant the suffix of us that you used.

Respect of righteous leaders who care for and love their neighbors and Love the Lord with all their heart ensure the well being of a generation so as to be taught sound doctrine.
If for example a known criminal organization sneaks in to a congregation and begins to extort and attempts to coerce leadership into money laundering.
I would hope said leadership would do the right thing.

"A little leaven"
?? Us isn't a suffix. It's a pronoun, and it doesn't include you.

I don't think Gay people are going to extort and attempt to coerce leadership into money laundering, actually. I'm guessing they want to serve on the bereavement committee and sing in the choir.

Jesus surrounded himself with people who others advised him not to because they were sinners, outcasts. I think I'd like to be in his crowd, doing what He did. Whatsoever you do . . . and all.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
I don't believe gay people are sinning, but I do understand that biblically, there is some cause for people who think it's a sin.
Thanks for sharing your personal opinion on it. People can go with what the Bible teaches, or they can go with personal opinions and/or feelings.

Quote:
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals.
Not sure which verses are directed exclusively for heterosexuals, but many unrepenting sexually immoral heterosexual pastors and/or members have been asked to leave. Even the Bible gives an example of such instance.

Quote:
Jesus surrounded himself with people who others advised him not to because they were sinners, outcasts. I think I'd like to be in his crowd, doing what He did. Whatsoever you do . . . and all.
Yes, He told them to go and sin no more.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
?? Us isn't a suffix. It's a pronoun, and it doesn't include you.

I don't think Gay people are going to extort and attempt to coerce leadership into money laundering, actually. I'm guessing they want to serve on the bereavement committee and sing in the choir.

The categories of fellowship you are presenting is what the majority of the congregation do.
The issue that has been specifically addressed is the sanctity of Marriage between man an woman.

Same sex unions are recognized by a supposed number of states. And in principle is a law upon government officials of said government.
But by no means is the subject of discussion allowed to be forced upon families who uphold the Royal torah.

Last edited by pinacled; 03-04-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 02:35 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,167,805 times
The UMC is so far outside of orthodoxy there is no way to claim any conservatism without a major house clean and overhaul......

Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for sharing your personal opinion on it. People can go with what the Bible teaches, or they can go with personal opinions and/or feelings.

Not sure which verses are directed exclusively for heterosexuals, but many unrepenting sexually immoral heterosexual pastors and/or members have been asked to leave. Even the Bible gives an example of such instance.

Yes, He told them to go and sin no more.
the use of numbers by cc. Is similar to misleading trends.
One such trend that has been refuted is a 365 repetition of "fear..yada".

No need to count.
Repetition is a familiar tool and tact.

The topic of discussion is the sanctity of marriage between man and woman.

The seal of such a covenant is what is hated by everyone knows who.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity