Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:17 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,020 times

Advertisements

A few thoughts after re-reading chapter 7..

I wonder, do we give enough credit to the God-given gift of song? (I'm not talking about the gift of singing!) Often, a song is like a prayer. Would we be satisfied with listening to professionally trained people pray? Or having them pick our prayers, as we pray along with them?

Is the way we are experiencing song bringing us into a close communion and intimate fellowship with God? Are we able to find a way to express our aching needs or deep trust through this God-given "power"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
A few thoughts after re-reading chapter 7..

I wonder, do we give enough credit to the God-given gift of song? (I'm not talking about the gift of singing!) Often, a song is like a prayer. Would we be satisfied with listening to professionally trained people pray? Or having them pick our prayers, as we pray along with them?

Is the way we are experiencing song bringing us into a close communion and intimate fellowship with God? Are we able to find a way to express our aching needs or deep trust through this God-given "power"?
cg81, I'm on my way out the door but wanted to ask you how your church does the music and singing?

I think your thoughts are quite intriguing.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this spontaneity in music in their services. I'm sure it's amazing and I'd like to get some reactions on it.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
cg81, I'm on my way out the door but wanted to ask you how your church does the music and singing?

I think your thoughts are quite intriguing.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever experienced this spontaneity in music in their services. I'm sure it's amazing and I'd like to get some reactions on it.
To tell you the truth, Alpha, singing is a huge part of our life. It became more real to me after reading this chapter.

We sing in our homes, our children do a lot of singing in Sunday School and in our schools, our youth love to sing when they get together, they also sing in hospitals, nursing homes, bring programs, etc. We sing acappella four-part harmony in church. If you can carry a tune and know abit about timing you can be a song leader - anyone can be elected and usually fills the place for about 2-3 years, then someone else is elected. Since we've all grown up singing, most can do the job. In our services, anyone can give out a number.. the songs are not pre-selected. We also have a few memory songs that we try to sing in church without looking at a book! (we need to brush up on our practice at home on this!)

I found it interesting that the author mentioned writing songs.. many of us also write songs, make songbooks etc.. my 18 yr old brother and some of his friends have about 40 songs (religious) that they are in the process of putting in a book.

In our "open-participatory" meetings there are usually songs brought by groups... either practiced beforehand or spontaneously asking different people from the crowd to come up and help in a song.

I find songs very close to my heart.. often words of a song come to me just at the right time. God can use this gift in a powerful way.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Hold on. Wait a minute.

June's not sure what you guys are saying here regarding music/songs.

What about Gregorian Chants? (Which to this day June still loves to listen to.)

Where did they come from? They aren't "prayer" or "worship?"

If one writes, composes, creates music (or art or anything else for that matter!) from whence does that come!? To what do you attribute that? (Not to mention if one takes into account the intention of whomever is creating it...)

You seriously lost me on this one. (But admittedly, I haven't finished reading the book and am a few chapters behind you, so...)

--Oh, and along with the fact that this is June asking the question!

Take gentle care,

The Totally Lost and Unknowing June

Old 06-06-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Often, a song is like a prayer.

"Like a prayer." Forgive this coming from the likes of June, (as she truly doesn't know what the heck she knows, and you all know it) but June always thought that a song was a prayer, or could be one, depending on the artist's intent, and the listener's response. (June clearly hasn't a clue what "prayer" is, and she suspects that this is rapidly becoming obvious to all...)

But for what it's worth, June sees it this way:

If there is a "whatever or something" within me that I wish to respond to, and I am thereby driven to respond to it, and as an artist I create music, then what is that? Seems to me that many an artist, many a musician, many a poet has expressed that same aching need and/or deep trust through whatever venue they are using.

Human beings who are highly creative possess a need to create. If I listen to a song that one of you sends me, (or heaven forbid, I send you!) that is clearly composed as a testament to the song writer/composer's faith, then is that not a "prayer?" --What's the definition?

Cuz I'm thinking in terms of what the intent was, what the response is, and how (if at all) they are inter-connected...

???

Take gentle care,

The Ever Way Out There June

P.S. Ya know, this is why I shouldn't post from work...

Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
"Like a prayer." .............

Human beings who are highly creative possess a need to create. If I listen to a song that one of you sends me, (or heaven forbid, I send you!) that is clearly composed as a testament to the song writer/composer's faith, then is that not a "prayer?" --What's the definition?
Good post, June! You are right.. a song (or a poem) often IS a prayer.

I worded it wrongly, but it looks like you understand what I meant!

There are many ways to pray! (pray without ceasing...) .. and there's something about a song-prayer that just can express your feelings like many other things can not.

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord..

Old 06-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:

looks like you understand what I meant!
"Phew!" You were making June do a double take at work!~ (Which is not good, as June needs her faculties.)

Okay, so this is my final thought, then I'm gunna shut up and go back to my "heathen" life:

June's take: It isn't the mere end result (the song) that is the "prayer," but rather, it is the process of creating it.

...Because it's a "response to."

Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
june, listen to these and you will understand that these are prayers also
YouTube - * ~ Native American Flute - Wind Walker ~ *. Pick any one of these, the music is all prayer.

Last edited by ptsum; 06-06-2008 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
"Phew!" You were making June do a double take at work!~ (Which is not good, as June needs her faculties.)

Okay, so this is my final thought, then I'm gunna shut up and go back to my "heathen" life:

June's take: It isn't the mere end result (the song) that is the "prayer," but rather, it is the process of creating it.
and the "experience" of it.. the act itself.

For example, I can simply pray a prayer verbally or in song, and not actually be praying (my heart may not be in it)... or I can read or hear another's prayer and join right in and feel right along with the writer in the experience.

But we need to have a good balance of both "doing" AND "hearing". That's the point I was trying to make about this chapter.. are we too satisfied to experience by hearing.. or are we exercising ourself in open expression?

Quote:
...Because it's a "response to."
Exactly! A prayer is a response.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
june, listen to these and you will understand that these are prayers also
YouTube - * ~ Native American Flute - Wind Walker ~ *. Pick any one of these, the music is all prayer.
And beautiful music, (okay, I'll say it: prayers) they were!

Thank you!

As such, June feels compelled to return your kindness with hers. This video comes up on my speakers as silent. Hence, my having chose it. Sounds of silence. But it's what can be found, therein.

YouTube - Canada Geese Slow Motion Flight

No doubt June's inner silence leads to the same place as yours.

Perhaps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity