Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times

Advertisements

LOL, Cg if a pastor can read minds of his congregation, I would definitely be the first to find the door..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
They capitalize on music and the worship team in this chapter and I'm not sure I can agree with them.
I want to read the chapter over again and bring more thoughts on this but just one question referring to the above statement: What is worship?

(I remember you doing a thread on this awhile back...now the "find all threads started by" option doesn't seem to work, so I couldn't find it.)

Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Alpha, about the size of a home church....Maybe that was in "the plan" to keep congregations of worshippers small in order to help maintain focus on Him..Maybe God knew that in a large crowd there would be more room for division and order and would eventually lead to what the modern church has become..Imo a smaller group will not need leadership other than the Holy Spirit to lead the worship..Just an opinion I have been running with ever since I read this book..I am really trying to put myself (in my feeble mind) into a home worship environment with no legalism, no modern doctrin, and no adaptations to worship other than what is taught in the bible..It feels good..
But a good opinion....
Maybe this is why we are seeing more and more in the larger churches, cell, home groups... that this could be why the Lord is leading into this direction it brings it at a more personal level like the NTC.
People are at ease and have the freedom to allow the Holy Spirit to do His work and the heart is learning, growing.
Also these cell, home groups are individuals who come and participate are truly seeking and serving God....
As we all know not everyone on Sunday morning in church are saved..... (did I say that)

Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
But a good opinion....
Maybe this is why we are seeing more and more in the larger churches, cell, home groups... that this could be why the Lord is leading into this direction it brings it at a more personal level like the NTC.
People are at ease and have the freedom to allow the Holy Spirit to do His work and the heart is learning, growing.
Also these cell, home groups are individuals who come and participate are truly seeking and serving God....
As we all know not everyone on Sunday morning in church are saved..... (did I say that)
Smaller groups definitely can have a better effect than larger ones. In a larger group, you can more easily "hide in the crowd" and sit back. In a smaller group, you know your "family" better.. and there is more opportunity to work, and more responsiblity is placed on each one... resulting in a healthier spiritual situation.

You are much more likely to recognize a spiritually struggling brother in a group of 100 members vs. a group of 1000...

It depends what your focus is. Are we looking for a huge group of people all "worshipping God" together, led by a charismatic pastor.. or are we looking for a situation where we can have intimate spiritual fellowship, edification, and a vibrant and living spiritual walk?

Those are two entirely different pictures, IMO. Not that big cannot be good.. but often, smaller is better.

Last edited by cg81; 06-05-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
LOL!

What I was meaning was ... what would the pastors of the participators in the Pagan Christianity book thread think if they could read the thoughts of their members, sitting in the pews Sunday morning, who have been reading an anti-pastor, anti-church, choir, Sunday-school book?
Oh, then I go back to my previous, unedited answer:

"Please leave!"

Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Alpha, about the size of a home church....Maybe that was in "the plan" to keep congregations of worshippers small in order to help maintain focus on Him..Maybe God knew that in a large crowd there would be more room for division and order and would eventually lead to what the modern church has become..Imo a smaller group will not need leadership other than the Holy Spirit to lead the worship..Just an opinion I have been running with ever since I read this book..I am really trying to put myself (in my feeble mind) into a home worship environment with no legalism, no modern doctrin, and no adaptations to worship other than what is taught in the bible..It feels good..
Great post. And it feels scary to me because it's something new and I have no idea how you'd pull it off. I guess the key is "you" wouldn't but HE would. I think this may be something I'd like to try. Wonder how you'd start?

Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I want to read the chapter over again and bring more thoughts on this but just one question referring to the above statement: What is worship?

(I remember you doing a thread on this awhile back...now the "find all threads started by" option doesn't seem to work, so I couldn't find it.)
What is worship?

I might need to review that one too.

I can't remember why I started it!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Quote:
Great post. And it feels scary to me because it's something new and I have no idea how you'd pull it off. I guess the key is "you" wouldn't but HE would. I think this may be something I'd like to try. Wonder how you'd start?
Exactly..Me too..Maybe we will have to have another book thread? I think there may be a book about that

Old 06-05-2008, 02:21 PM

LOL, cg81, here's more proof for me that we've been led to this discussion.

Check out this post in that worship thread you were looking for.....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I wonder how disturbing some of our current modern beliefs are to God today.
Ya know, that might be an interesting topic for a new thread. I don't know how you'd word it and, if not careful, it might turn a bit snippy, but it might be one of those 'rubber meets the road' discussions.

Interesting johnrex62.
and that was before I even had an inkling this book existed.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
LOL, cg81, here's more proof for me that we've been led to this discussion.
Amen!

Yes, it's amazing to see how "the rubber meets the road" like you mentioned... but it has to happen at the right time. Man, that discussion seems like a LONG time ago! And yet I still remember it like it happened yesterday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity