Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Really? Care to cite me the scriptures to back that up? Here's some of my favorite verses and read them carefully, there's some very strong words here from the King.(I'll add emphasis to assist)
Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
Matt 22:34-40
So what's first and foremost?????
So if you love your neighbour by giving them food to eat, clothes to wear. Shoot! How about giving them a brand new car without ever giving them the gospel and they die in their sins and go to hell.

Just how loving do you think you were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
No, it's not all about money. It's about not voting for a man who is incompetent when it comes to the economy. What makes you so certain McCain is a Christian?
McCain survived a POW camp for years. I don't think anyone who is not a Christian could have done that. He is not ashamed of his faith. His values of having each person be responsible for themselves goes along with Christian values. We don't need our country to take care of us. God will take care of us even if there is no country. Only a very confused Christian is going to be for a "WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE." Confusion comes from the devil.

Parents have been given the right and responsibility to take care of their own children and no true Christian will turn that over to the government like Obama seems to want it to be. The government should not be taking any rights away from those parents, but our government does it all the time. I could say more, but this should explain the basic differences.

Throughout history God has taken those that have the least talent and turned them into leaders for His own glory. So in my opinion the most qualified is the one that is on the same side as God. We should be more concerned that we are on God's side than that He is on our side. Look at the Democratic platform and the answer is obvious.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Caring for those who need us is the avenue to tell others about Christ. Christ IS the message and it's reflected in our actions.
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. I John 3:16-18
I agree that we should love our neighbor and the fruits of being a Christian is giving, helping, caring but again I ask, you if life is but a vapor, Paul said. What is the point of loving your neighbour if you don't give them the gospel

Quote:
Exactly, but that doesn't really line up with your previous paragraph.
Actually it does, the other day I heard a boy was shot and killed for no apparent reason, was very smart and had a great future ahead of him. I wanted justice for that boy and I wanted to help his family but the first thing I asked, was that boy saved? Did Christ know him?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
You've outlined why you think he believes its a right. I can see your point. My point was if given three options to choose from (Right, Privledge, or Responsibility) if you think its a right then the best answer next time might be to state: "I think its a right..." and then state why you think so.
I'm glad you can at least see my point.

Let me explain a little more.

I, Alpha8207, believe it's my right to have health insurance.

BUT

I, [insert political office here] Alpha8207, believe it's my responsibility to provide every American with health insurance.

That's what I saw different in the two candidates responses.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Oh please! There are cases of rape and incest, or a pregnancy that may jeopardize the mother's life. I guess it's ok to you that McCain doesn't have any plans to end the war and continues to take out innocent lives. Oh, but that's different!
Rape and incest cases are such a small portion of abortions it isn't even close.

And if you think McCain has no plan to end the war your indoctrination is now complete.....please move to the voting booth.....

Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
So if you love your neighbour by giving them food to eat, clothes to wear. Shoot! How about giving them a brand new car without ever giving them the gospel and they die in their sins and go to hell.

Just how loving do you think you were?
RL, those words I typed were out of my bible. I didn't write them. I just shared them You do what you like with them.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I wanted justice for that boy and I wanted to help his family but the first thing I asked, was that boy saved? Did Christ know him?
Who'd you ask?

Yourself or his family?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:45 AM

I know of the Sermon on the Mount but he didn't do it everytime. wasn't it Jesus who said to Judas, "The poor you will have with you always"

He had programs just like churches today that help but their main purpose for being is first and foremost preaching the gospel.

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Dumb question here..What makes people think that because a candidate is prolife that he is going to walk into that oval office as president and put an end to abortion???If not mistaken, that was the mindset for electing Mr. Bush..

A couple more dumb questions..Is the abortion issue the first and only thing at stake here? How does that effect the state of the economy? The loss of so much money in my childrens Retirement Plans? The capturing of Bin Laden, or the $400,000 luxurious spa vacations for AIG people in celebration of the big bucks the government is giving them from OUR money?

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Before we get into a bible quote off and who is a better Christian (which is where I fear this thread is headed).. maybe a better route is to list the issues in rank order that are your number one priority.

I listed some in the OP. List any you want.. You have Veterans Affairs, Entitlements overall, Healthcare, Economy, Abortion and many others.

Whats most important to you from a Christian perspective when you pull the lever.

Non Christians feel free to post what you think is the most important to Christians (just please do it in a nice way and Christians if you see something that ticks you off just try to respond in a nice way).

What drives the pull of the lever? What are you giving up to vote for a Candidate? Surely you don't agree with everything the Candidate stands for.

For instance mine might be:

1. Foriegn Policy
2. Energy
3. Healthcare Reform
4. Education
5.. etc etc..

just a thought..

back to semi-lurking mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity