Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I do! I do!

The single most rewarding thing a Christian can do is help others serve God 'willingly'. This can be done by approaching others in a door to door ministry (as the early disciples did), thru email, phone conversations, or even informally. But it is absolutely imparative.
That is awesome! and I pray you for you guys everyday. The funny part is anytime I am feeling down spiritually (which we all go through dry spells) when I witness to someone, I feel reinvigorated. It is amazing to share your faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,581,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
That is awesome! and I pray you for you guys everyday. The funny part is anytime I am feeling down spiritually (which we all go through dry spells) when I witness to someone, I feel reinvigorated. It is amazing to share your faith.

Yes it is. There is absolutely no doubt that teaching others about what you've learned from the bible and relating the blessings you have received from applying its principles in your life, strenghthens your own faith as well.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Yes definitely by teaching!!

How would you interpret that verse? How did you come upon your interpretation? is your interpretation true?
How did I come upon my interpretation?

To me, make disciples does not mean witnessing. Make disciples mean meet people and try and shape them into followers of Christ. It's a process that might take the rest of my life....it isn't just handing out tracks to folks I'll never see again.

Quote:
When you say 'you guys' do you mean all people who witness regardless of their message? I don't know if I'd do that......how do you know if my gospel is accurate? How do you know if the poster you are responding to has the true gospel?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,581,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

When you say 'you guys' do you mean all people who witness regardless of their message? I don't know if I'd do that......how do you know if my gospel is accurate? How do you know if the poster you are responding to has the true gospel?
He doesnt. He knows that I am doing my best to follow Christ's instruction and I think he recognizes that God appreciates such efforts. When you teach others what you know from the bible, you are obeying God. Whether you have incorrect understanding of the bible is a different topic entirely.

And incidentally, I feel that if you pray to God for accurate understanding of the basics, it will be granted to you.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:58 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,670,560 times
I witness each and every day in some form or fashion. How do I do it? Well, I don't.

The Holy Spirit that dwells within me is the witness to people. My body is just the vessel used to convey His Love.

The Bible teaches that we should not anger or turn people away when we witness to them.

My witness is living the most Godly life I can live, and letting Christ's light shine from me.

It is amazing how much people watch what others do. For example, I do not allow people to use certain words in my home, and regardless of WHO it is, if they say those words, I will tell them that this is not allowed in my home. I don't condemn them, blast them over the head saying they will go to hell, or get all righteous on them, this would only anger them and drive them away, what I do is in a kind way state that this is not allowed in MY home....they respect that, and will remember it and will then see me and MY home in a different light.

My actions and non-actions on a daily basis is a silent witness that is much stronger than words. Words are easy, consistent actions show sincerity of belief, not just lip service.

I am often surprised when people come up to me and tell me something I did a month, week, year or so ago changed how they thought and brought them to a point of searching.

You see, I am nothing. But Jesus is Everything. I have pride and ego, Jesus has none. By living my life as Godly as I can, Jesus is working thru me with purity and love which convicts people.

IF I go out and proclaim God all the time, and to everyone, chances are pride and ego might show up and skewer His message. I might start thinking more highly of myself than I should.

So, I strive to live as best as I can, asking for forgiveness and for discernment for MY life, and as I do this, Jesus works thru me to allow people to see His Love in it's pure form without human influence.

Now, I say all this to also say that when people seek out knowledge of Christ from me, I do speak with them, after praying for Jesus to do the speaking thru me! And there are times when He puts on my heart things to do, and when I obey, I feel blessed, and when I disobey I am miserable.

What I do, that He lays on me to do, I do in secret lest it be tainted.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
How did I come upon my interpretation?

To me, make disciples does not mean witnessing. Make disciples mean meet people and try and shape them into followers of Christ. It's a process that might take the rest of my life....it isn't just handing out tracks to folks I'll never see again.
I understand your point, but I see it as disciples being followers, which I am doing by teaching them all that Jesus commanded. I am only required to share my faith and the opportunity to get in touch with me if they have questions later. The rest is up to God to mold them and shape them.

Quote:
As long as the gospel is repentance and faith- putting your trust and surrendering to Christ-born again- die to self, that Jesus died for us, He is the son of God and the only way to heaven, that is good enough for me.

If you don't agree, then how are people going to hear the gospel?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-10-2008 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
As long as the gospel is repentance and faith- putting your trust and surrendering to Christ-born again- die to self, that Jesus died for us, He is the son of God and the only way to heaven, that is good enough for me.

If you don't agree, then how are people going to hear the gospel?
So the Branch Dividians, who were an off-shoot of Seventh Day Adventists would be A-OK in your mind?

Interesting......but scary.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I witness each and every day in some form or fashion. How do I do it? Well, I don't.

What I do, that He lays on me to do, I do in secret lest it be tainted.
So thankful Paul did not think like that.

(Acts 1:8)

8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
So thankful Paul did not think like that.
So thankful Paul didn't condemn like that.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
So the Branch Dividians, who were an off-shoot of Seventh Day Adventists would be A-OK in your mind?

Interesting......but scary.
Come on....the reason why many people go astray is that they are not studying the bible in proper context or manner. They allow men to lead rather than the word of God.

That was a cult who followed a man claiming to be the messiah when it is absolutely clear that it wasn't.

The first thing Christian do as they grow in the word is to study scripture. It is plain that these people did not study scripture.

Would you ask Paul the apostle the same question because we are using not only Jesus but Paul as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity