Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow. The only person I'm embarrassed for is YOU. You need some help understanding the Bible and God himself. I'll add you to my prayer list.
Hello lovesMountains,

If you had actually bothered to read what was posted you would have noticed it is not what Preterist had said but only a post of what other people think of Jesus because of what they read in the Bible. So I have no idea why you are embarrassed for 1 person. Why not for the multitude who are critics? Do you think a single one of them would be convinced or elucidated by your response?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,494,052 times
Can anyone answer BIBLICALLY?

What do the verses I posted which are used by skeptics MEAN? How do you explain them to skeptics?

I'm sorry, but simple statements without Scripture to back them is NOT an answer. I use Scriptures which state what Jesus said and you people come back and say "No, He didn't!"

IS there ANYONE who knows how to study the Bible? Again, in spite of what people say about me, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME. BUT please use the Word of God which YOU have personally studied in its context and with sound hermeneutical principles when giving an answer.

Did Jesus say those things that are written in the verses I provided? What did He mean? Does your answer satisfy the just accusations of skeptics? WE must give a sound answer!

Preterist

Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
CG81: Why don't you ever deal with the Scriptures that I present? The arguments I made had to do with THOSE Scriptures used by skeptics to "prove" that Jesus lied. The whole point of this thread was to deal with them and give a reasonable, hermeneutically sound exegesis of them to defend our Lord and His apostles from their attacks.

I would be happy to deal with Acts 1 in depth after you address the subject of this thread.

How do we explain those verses I posted which critics use against Christ and His Church?

Preterist
Quote:
Can anyone answer BIBLICALLY?

What do the verses I posted which are used by skeptics MEAN? How do you explain them to skeptics?

I'm sorry, but simple statements without Scripture to back them is NOT an answer. I use Scriptures which state what Jesus said and you people come back and say "No, He didn't!"

IS there ANYONE who knows how to study the Bible? Again, in spite of what people say about me, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME. BUT please use the Word of God which YOU have personally studied in its context and with sound hermeneutical principles when giving an answer.

Did Jesus say those things that are written in the verses I provided? What did He mean? Does your answer satisfy the just accusations of skeptics? WE must give a sound answer!

Preterist
Uh, while you're jumping up and down and ranting and raving about no one responding to your scripture.....well....you just might wanna review your posts in this thread(including the OP)....because short of a few references of scriptures in the portion on what Muslims think, you haven't posted any.

<--- is right!

Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi cg81,

How do you mean in like manner?
(definitions from Random House Webster's College Dictionary)
like: in the same way as, just as
manner: a way of doing, being done, or happening; mode of action

In other words: the disciples saw Jesus physically ascending up into the sky. When Jesus would come back He would appear in the same way.. a physical descent.

What does "like manner" mean to you?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
(definitions from Random House Webster's College Dictionary)
like: in the same way as, just as
manner: a way of doing, being done, or happening; mode of action

In other words: the disciples saw Jesus physically ascending up into the sky. When Jesus would come back He would appear in the same way.. a physical descent.
By just his disciples?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
By just his disciples?
That verse doesn't specify who all.. but the disciples would be among those who would see Him.

There are other scriptures that talk about this event and say "every eye shall see Him" and "all nations shall wail because of Him" etc. when He returns, making me believe that it was not just His disciples.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Uh, while you're jumping up and down and ranting and raving about no one responding to your scripture.....well....you just might wanna review your posts in this thread(including the OP)....because short of a few references of scriptures in the portion on what Muslims think, you haven't posted any.

<--- is right!
What? Read my post again--I am assuming you read it completely at least one time?
Quote:
Matthew 24:29-30; Mark 13:23-30; Matthew 10:22-23 and Matt.16:27-28.
I thought these were well-known verses, but I guess I was wrong so I'll spell out the verses--verses used by skeptics to call Jesus a liar!

Matthew 24:29-30, 34: Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then the sign will appear of the Son of Man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the land will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. . . . This generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place!"

See also Mark 13:23-30

Matthew 10:22-23: And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes" (emphasis mine).

Matthew 16:27, 28: For the Son of Man is will come, in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

I posted these verses, Alpha8207. Did you miss them?

Preterist

Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That verse doesn't specify who all.. but the disciples would be among those who would see Him.

There are other scriptures that talk about this event and say "every eye shall see Him" and "all nations shall wail because of Him" etc. when He returns, making me believe that it was not just His disciples.
Hi cg81,

The other scripture you may be referring to is the Olivet discourse such as Matthew 24:30 or in Revelation 1:7. Having a few men in Galilee see Jesus leave after giving them a blessing is not like coming back in wrath where "everyone" sees him. Therefore I believe these do not refer to the same event. I also believe it is contextual since it only refers to tribes, meaning Israel, was the audience of Revelation1:7.
Do you have a reason why I should consider it the same event?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Excuse me, CG81, but this thread was not about Acts 1:9. I won't say, "could we get back to the topic" because we NEVER got on topic. I have to assume from the lame "answers" I have received, that none of you knows how to biblically answer the critics by explaining the verses that lead them to their conclusions. Acts 1:9 was not one of them.

Please deal with the verses!

Preterist

Old 11-25-2008, 12:56 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
What? Read my post again--I am assuming you read it completely at least one time? I thought these were well-known verses, but I guess I was wrong so I'll spell out the verses--verses used by skeptics to call Jesus a liar!

Matthew 24:29-30, 34: Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then the sign will appear of the Son of Man in heaven, and then all the tribes of the land will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. . . . This generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place!"

See also Mark 13:23-30

Matthew 10:22-23: And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes" (emphasis mine).

Matthew 16:27, 28: For the Son of Man is will come, in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

I posted these verses, Alpha8207. Did you miss them?

Preterist
You didn't post them until now, you just posted the references....but I won't go on about it, ok?

I definitely have a response for you (that you won't accept) but for the sake of those reading who are open to consider, I will post it anyway.

Bear with me though, I'm on my way out the door to pack Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes at the Regional Distribution Center in Charlotte and won't be home until late tonight.

God bless, Preterist.

~~Alpha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity