Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times

Advertisements

Are you serious?

What good is having 'theologians' when their 'opinions' do not concur with the Word of God?

There were people in the days of Jesus who would twist the Word of God, and they KNEW JESUS.

Nowhere does it state that Jesus or any of the Apostles starting the catholic church. ....well except in 'catholic' books.

Whether the catholic church was started or not is ALSO irrevelant as they dont even conform with the simple truths of the Word of God.

Just because something started good doesnt mean it is now good or ends up good.

Bowing down to statues and praying to dead people has and ALWAYS will be an abomination to God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
You do realize the Catholic Church was around virtually 400 years before there was a canonized Bible? You do realize that Bible does NOT declare that it is the sole source of truth and devine revelation, but merely says it is helpful and declares that not everything Jesus said or did is in it? You do realize that the Bible DOES declare that truth comes from both tradition and writings and the Gospel should be spread using both? You do realize that the very church that you dislike so much is the very organization who canonized YOUR Bible, albeit with a few more books - the very Bible you use to discredit the church that compiled it. You do realize that Jesus created the Catholic Church and your church was created by a man? You do realize that the early Early Church fathers and their Christian followers wrote about staying true to doctrine as prescribed by the Pope in Rome, baptized babies, confessed their sins to priests, and proclaimed that the bread and wine were actually the body and blood of Christ?

I have 2000 years of some of the brightest theologians, and Jesus given authority backing me up, spirit filled and God led. You have.......your opinion. Good luck with that.

Peace be with you both.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Like what?
Since we are in the Christmas season, Christmas seems the most relevant celebration to investigate. Do a google search for Christmas...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM

oh you're talking about the xmas trees?

1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

hmmm i wonder what xmas trees are really about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Since we are in the Christmas season, Christmas seems the most relevant celebration to investigate. Do a google search for Christmas...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You do realize the Catholic Church was around virtually 400 years before there was a canonized Bible? You do realize that Bible does NOT declare that it is the sole source of truth and devine revelation, but merely says it is helpful and declares that not everything Jesus said or did is in it? You do realize that the Bible DOES declare that truth comes from both tradition and writings and the Gospel should be spread using both? You do realize that the very church that you dislike so much is the very organization who canonized YOUR Bible, albeit with a few more books - the very Bible you use to discredit the church that compiled it. You do realize that Jesus created the Catholic Church and your church was created by a man? You do realize that the early Early Church fathers and their Christian followers wrote about staying true to doctrine as prescribed by the Pope in Rome, baptized babies, confessed their sins to priests, and proclaimed that the bread and wine were actually the body and blood of Christ?

I have 2000 years of some of the brightest theologians, and Jesus given authority backing me up, spirit filled and God led. You have.......your opinion. Good luck with that.

Peace be with you both.
and also with you

Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
oh you're talking about the xmas trees?

1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

hmmm i wonder what xmas trees are really about?
Well, the whole celebration in general. All that was done to "Christianize" this pagan celebration was to try to coincide Jesus' birth. They kept all of the same pagan traditions. Jesus, the Jews, nor the early Christians even celebrated Jesus' birth. He commanded that we remember his death.

Now it's gone a step further and it is a secular commercial holiday.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Are you a JW? What does Christmas mean to you?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Well, the whole celebration in general. All that was done to "Christianize" this pagan celebration was to try to coincide Jesus' birth. They kept all of the same pagan traditions. Jesus, the Jews, nor the early Christians even celebrated Jesus' birth. He commanded that we remember his death.

Now it's gone a step further and it is a secular commercial holiday.
...Remember His death? That's called Good Friday/Easter. We celebrate that, too. You have to have life before you have death. At least I am pretty sure.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM

396 posts, read 838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
So please tell me that you have never seen the priest or the congregants bow down to the statues in the church...
In all honesty, I've never seen anyone bow down to any statue in the church.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM

I have..and I have heard it from all my friends who are Catholics.

nothing new here

They're either bowing or praying to statues...

I believe all Catholic churches have a statue of Mary behind their lighted candles.

So i guess the people are bowing down to the candles not to Mary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
In all honesty, I've never seen anyone bow down to any statue in the church.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Are you a JW? What does Christmas mean to you?
I don't think you have to e a JW to see the pagan traditions in Christmas (and Easter). If it matters at all, I have been studying with JW's off and on for 30 years...I've taken a lot of detours along the way.

Even when I was "off again" with my studies...I always saw the true meaning of Christmas. Christmas isn't anything to me...it's just another day. People tend to jump to the assumption that I don't enjoy family gatherings, good meals, or giving or getting gifts. In actuality, I typically get together with my family about once a month to have a nice gathering and a good meal. We give gifts spontaneously and randomly selected days...the anticipation is fun!

People also jump to the conclusion that I don't recognize Jesus because I'm not celebrating his "birthday". Really, I feel I am honoring him and his father more by abstaining from holidays smothered in pagan traditions that celebrate other gods. I commemorate Jesus' death once a year. Not an easter celebration with bunnies and eggs.

Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity