Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:53 PM

396 posts, read 838,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I have..and I have heard it from all my friends who are Catholics.

nothing new here

They're either bowing or praying to statues...

I believe all Catholic churches have a statue of Mary behind their lighted candles.

So i guess the people are bowing down to the candles not to Mary?
Wow...you are mistaken, aren't you? So much for this being a good and decent thread w/o bashing.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
please tell everyone here what these people are doing in these pictures

A Picture Says It All -by Dave Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Wow...you are mistaken, aren't you? So much for this being a good and decent thread w/o bashing.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
please tell everyone here what these people are doing in these pictures

A Picture Says It All -by Dave Stewart
Have you ever got down on your knees to pray?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM

not deliberately in front of a statue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Have you ever got down on your knees to pray?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
That website is pretty..."in your face". It's obviously anticatholic, but does any Catholic think these pictures have been doctored or the claims made are false?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 PM

everyone including Catholics know this happens

it's common knowledge....for anyone to deny it means they were living in a cave for the last 50years

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
That website is pretty..."in your face". It's obviously anticatholic, but does any Catholic think these pictures have been doctored or the claims made are false?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
No doubt, many Catholics are ignorant of the Church's teachings.
I do kneel, and even occassionally prostrate in prayer.
I try never to "pray to" anyone or anything.
However, idolitary is a sin we all suffer from, and it is possible that "images" even in the interior of my mind, sneek in between me and God.
As a matter of fact, what is appropriate to even think of during prayer?
Is an "image" we conjur up of Christ appropriate? Is guided mediatition idolitry? These are not simple questions with simple answers.

As a Catholic, I appreciate the richness of imagery,the smells, and the feel of our liturgy.

It's all good, provided it leads my to Christ.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
No doubt, many Catholics are ignorant of the Church's teachings.
I do kneel, and even occassionally prostrate in prayer.
I try never to "pray to" anyone or anything.
However, idolitary is a sin we all suffer from, and it is possible that "images" even in the interior of my mind, sneek in between me and God.
As a matter of fact, what is appropriate to even think of during prayer?
Is an "image" we conjur up of Christ appropriate? Is guided mediatition idolitry? These are not simple questions with simple answers.

As a Catholic, I appreciate the richness of imagery,the smells, and the feel of our liturgy.

It's all good, provided it leads my to Christ.
I agree feeling good is nice. I get those same feelings (not sure 'bout the smells) without ANY aids. Is it really all good? Shouldn't we look at what GOD requires of us and apply that? If He said not to use any icons, statues, graven images...then is it making Him as happy as you feel when you use them?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
I agree feeling good is nice. I get those same feelings (not sure 'bout the smells) without ANY aids. Is it really all good? Shouldn't we look at what GOD requires of us and apply that? If He said not to use any icons, statues, graven images...then is it making Him as happy as you feel when you use them?
I don't know where it is said not to have statues or icons.
Just no "graven" images, and no false gods.
I know there are many different views about imagery. I've been to Amish homes where you will find no pictures of anything

Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM

do you honestly think they had the capability of making photos when the laws were written?

it's quite obvious God doesnt want you bowing down to ANYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I don't know where it is said not to have statues or icons.
Just no "graven" images, and no false gods.
I know there are many different views about imagery. I've been to Amish homes where you will find no pictures of anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity