Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I have no issues with Catholics...I have an issue with the doctrine.

You look at attitudes, the way they speak, walk, talk, dress, smell, eat, etc...

That doesnt determine salvation

Salvation is determined by being saved by grace through faith.

Jesus said if you love me then obey my commandments.

This is where Catholicism lacks in their idolatry/witchcraft.

A person can be sweeter than honey but

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him
Really, talk, walk, dress, act, etc? Maybe because you're in NC? But I thought NC was, and am certain that it is, ahead of the curve and is actually getting into the world's spotlight, with direct international flights out of RDU and CLT? I get it -- is it that Catholics are largely Northeasterners and/or from the populous cities of the Great Lakes/Rust Belt, where people talk fast and are "to the point," thereby getting things done?

I think all of the Judeo-Christian rooted faiths have the same Commandments, am I not right? What commandments do you speak of? You use words like witchcraft and liar, which are kind of loaded. The only word I used that might have been offensive is "white trash," something for which the combination of teeth, education, incarceration, illegitimate childbearing, cars on blocks on lawns, appearances on Jerry Springer and other tangible things can be woven into a "composite."

I think that any of the intellectual and reflective people on this forum, of which there are many, would find having coffee with you a chore.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:03 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
born raised in NY..moved to Miami, fl

only in NC for about 3yrs

there's a whole another thread of someone asking if catholics are christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Really, talk, walk, dress, act, etc? Maybe because you're in NC? But I thought NC was, and am certain that it is, ahead of the curve and is actually getting into the world's spotlight, with direct international flights out of RDU and CLT? I get it -- is it that Catholics are largely Northeasterners and/or from the populous cities of the Great Lakes/Rust Belt, where people talk fast and are "to the point," thereby getting things done?

I think all of the Judeo-Christian rooted faiths have the same Commandments, am I not right? What commandments do you speak of? You use words like witchcraft and liar, which are kind of loaded. The only word I used that might have been offensive is "white trash," something for which the combination of teeth, education, incarceration, illegitimate childbearing, cars on blocks on lawns, appearances on Jerry Springer and other tangible things can be woven into a "composite."

I think that any of the intellectual and reflective people on this forum, of which there are many, would find having coffee with you a chore.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
born raised in NY..moved to Miami, fl

only in NC for about 3yrs

there's a whole another thread of someone asking if catholics are christians.
I find your geographic background and your viewpoints kind of incongruent.

Yes, I've visited those threads, and even started one such thread when I was "new" to C-D, and they are boring...yawn.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
robert,
Remember, there are none so blind as those who will not see!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
robert,
Remember, there are none so blind as those who will not see!
Fundie, right? Again, another Bible-thumper who speaks in generalities and says nothing in the process. Why don't you refute my observations on an item-by-item basis? Because, just like the dude or chick in Charlotte NC, you can't.

Why don't Catholics have these same arguments with Greek Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopals, Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians and Methodists (well, they did over a hundred years ago) who have nice churches and live conventional upwardly-mobile lives?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,618 times
Robert, it is a lost cause. No matter how many times we repeat that we do not worship idols, or what have you, they will continue to make this claim. They will also claim that Jesus did not establish a hierarchy, or they will ignore Church history.

How does the famous quote go?

"To look through Christian history, is to convert to Catholicism."

I'd make the argument that you cannot be Christian and not be Catholic. They are synonymous. To be anything else is to be "watered-down" in a sense.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Can you tell explain to a insane man that he's insane?

If someone is blind you can't show them 'what you mean'

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Fundie, right? Again, another Bible-thumper who speaks in generalities and says nothing in the process. Why don't you refute my observations on an item-by-item basis? Because, just like the dude or chick in Charlotte NC, you can't.

Why don't Catholics have these same arguments with Greek Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopals, Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians and Methodists (well, they did over a hundred years ago) who have nice churches and live conventional upwardly-mobile lives?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 PM

i'm sorry but those pictures are undeniable

bowing down to idols is worship no matter how you look at it.

praying to dead people is necromancy no matter how you look at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Robert, it is a lost cause. No matter how many times we repeat that we do not worship idols, or what have you, they will continue to make this claim. They will also claim that Jesus did not establish a hierarchy, or they will ignore Church history.

How does the famous quote go?

"To look through Christian history, is to convert to Catholicism."

I'd make the argument that you cannot be Christian and not be Catholic. They are synonymous. To be anything else is to be "watered-down" in a sense.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 PM

71 posts, read 111,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
It was through Rome that Christianity rose. Without the intervention of people such as Constantine, we would not have been the religion we are today. Many say this intervention was divine. How could a severely persecuted religion of less than a few thousand people grow to dominate the entire planet, with hundreds of millions of members worldwide to-date? If not many more than a billion.
I would have to give that glory to the Lord. The testimony of the saints of the time of persecution. Gods Glory.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 PM

71 posts, read 111,322 times
Im not Catholic nor have I been. I have many friends in that church. We don't always see things the same way. However; I would note that denigrating people on how what they believe is not the way to hold a edifing thread of discussion.

Peace be upon You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity