Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,009,796 times

Advertisements

Every generation since the times of the Christ have been repeating the same thing, "the end is near" this is no difference.
Rifeman posted about Krakota,(1883) it was the largest volcano to erupt in recorded history. The effect of this eruption darkened the sky for years afterwards, it dropped the world temps by 1.5 degrees C.
I'm sure there were Christians out there saying "this is it, Jesus is returning, all the signs are there."

If your really wanting the "Kingdom of God" on earth, then help bring it in, instead of wishing the destruction of life on this planet. It makes me sad to think that there are people who wish the worse on the fellow humans, just to satisify their pious belief, to think that they are the "chosen". When the Christ said, that the Kingdom of God is with in, he wasn't talking to Christians, he was talking to all of mankind. So if you really desire this kingdom, I suggest you first look with in yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,933,218 times
Thumbs down "Look Out!!!! She's Gonna Blow! (or then again, maybe not...)"

[quote=DayoftheLord;6841224]
Quote:

Okay, first of all.....how about not blinding us with the
RED.

Yeah, you're right. My apologies! There. How's that?

Second, yes the earth has always groaned but not like this......the groaning of labor pains!! The earth is screaming, but most are not hearing. This is how the Bible refers to it:

Are you saying that Yellowstone is presently screaming? I'm trying to find, through my sources, that this is imminent by any standards. I'm reminded of Mt. St. Helens 3 years ago, when it was "awakening". Seems that it was just rolling over in its sleep. That's what volcanos do, but even if Yellowstone lights up, why is this THE END-TIMES ERUPTION? What about a far more likely, say, world-wide bacterial or viral pandemic? Why would your God blow up all of those recently transplanted wolves, those loving grizzlies, deer, bison, etc etc. Not to mention Christian tourists feeding same?

Mark 13:8
Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.

Did all you good Christians say the same when St. Helens erupted? Oh, I forgot; there was no good effective internet forum system back then so it couldn't have been The One True End-Event. Say, does it predict The Net in the bible, it being perhaps The One True COMMUNICATION SYSTEM now, allowing Christians to communicate and share ideas so well. Just curious, since He propheses EVERYTHING that has or will happen. ("And God said" Let there be broad-band communications in the homes of believers, and the wicked shall be downloading filthy pictures...")

1 Thessalonians 5:3
While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

I agree.. The poor women and children in Gaza agree as well.

Third, I've seen you mention your "credentials" ad nauseum.

My apologies if you have felt slighted. (but PS: I've seen you guys quote The Bible ad nauseum as well...).

I've not actually mentioned them ad nauseum, just more often recently when some guy or girl calls scientists such endearing terms as "idiots, bald-faced liars, ego-driven maniacs, publicity hounds", etc. Or when it's painfully, nauseatingly obvious to any skeptical reader that the writer of obvious tripe has absolutely no formal or otherwise training or education in the thing they are refuting. Like that lady who said yesterday that evolution is when your cat changes into a dog overnight, and therefore evolution doesn't exist because she's never seen it. I've heard this stupidity before, and I asked her what it felt like to have been knowingly mis-informed all these years by folks who knew better. No response yet. Must be my arrogance, eh?

That's when I point out that perhaps my many years of study and reading and thinking might account for some validity and credibility with more reasonable readers. In other words, did I learn anything, or, in your opinion, should we scientists throw everything we learned out the window?

Would you rather that I leave these forums? I'll bet you would. After all, then you'd have eliminated another debator with some opposing but valid and well-thought-out information.

Good for you, but what you don't understand with all your head knowledge is that it cannot save you, only Jesus Christ can.

You also assume that I, and other scientists, have absolutely NO other knowledge, NO spirituality, NO greater personal understanding, NO life's experiences, NOTHING compared to your superior knowledge, your spiritual superiority, your deep understandings. As in "
what you don't understand with all your head knowledge" . You sure about that?

We're just happy, and not threatened, to ask possibly uncomfortable questions. And for that we're roundly put down by the likes of people who attack our credentials, our minds, our egos, anything (sorry..) to put us down.

And so, when someone arrives on forum who might actually have some rational credentials to comment on geology or biology or astroscience or up-to-date irrefutable archeological dating techniques, but you don't like the answer or their educated statements, that potentially knowlegeable person's therefore awash in their own arrogance or their limited "head knowledge".

(BTW, where does your knowledge reside then? In your feet? In someone else's fable-writings? Where, exactly? Puh-leeeze don't say "in my heart" either lest we heartless scientists and thinkers all start crying...).

Sorry, DOTL. It won't wash. Go ahead, call me narrow-minded. If you actually knew me... But go ahead; call me any thing you want. You'll be wrong, but why change? As I proved in another thread yesterday, Christians will say anything to avoid concessions to any of my or our thinking or ideas.

(Muttering heard in background "Bunch of ego-driven, publicity-hound scientists! Whaddah they know!")
What indeed?

Last edited by rifleman; 01-05-2009 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM

777 posts, read 1,443,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I appreciate your feelings, but I am afraid the 'spiritually connected' folks have been 'experiencing' things for centuries...things that never came to pass. Naturally, any who knows the scriptures, knows that eventually the earth will be distroyed by fire, but no one knows when.
I chose to live my life the best I can, regardless of when the end of the earth will come. It is the end of my life that will be the time when I will be awaiting judgement. Until then, I will just hope all come to the knowledge of God, and do His will.
I will try to get them to come to Him because they love Him, not because they are in fear of what many call the 'great tribulation'.
Hi Marrian,
Those who believe in the rapture are not afraid, because they believe they will be taken out of harm's way and not face persecution.
I don't relish persecution, but I am not afraid of the tribulation.
It is a nanosecond in eternal.
God is greater than this evil world and I think being with Him is better.
My soul is not my own and I will leave it in His hands.

We may not know the exact time, but at some point (despite it's having been speculated about thoughout history) Jesus will return.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
How much more would the Lord of Hosts be faithful?

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
2Peter 3:9

Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 PM

20,732 posts, read 19,402,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Every generation since the times of the Christ have been repeating the same thing, "the end is near" this is no difference.
Rifeman posted about Krakota,(1883) it was the largest volcano to erupt in recorded history. The effect of this eruption darkened the sky for years afterwards, it dropped the world temps by 1.5 degrees C.
I'm sure there were Christians out there saying "this is it, Jesus is returning, all the signs are there."

If your really wanting the "Kingdom of God" on earth, then help bring it in, instead of wishing the destruction of life on this planet. It makes me sad to think that there are people who wish the worse on the fellow humans, just to satisify their pious belief, to think that they are the "chosen". When the Christ said, that the Kingdom of God is with in, he wasn't talking to Christians, he was talking to all of mankind. So if you really desire this kingdom, I suggest you first look with in yourself.
Hi Terryj,

I would say Krakatoa was the biggest since volcanology. As for recorded history, that goes to Tambora in 1815 and the year with no summer in 1816. That was a whopper. That was a 100+ cubic KM verse under 20 cubic KM for Krakatoa.
Don't let that get you down though. Hopefully we will have a worthy disaster in this generation where millions of people die to kick off the rapture. Looks like we need something like Yellow Stone since even Tambora didn't kick it off.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,496,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Not only has He "edged" up His throne, He has one foot on the cloud looking back faithfully at the Father, saying, "Now? Now Daddy?" The Father, "Not yet My Son, there's room for one more........and one more..........and one more......." Could it be you?

Love, your sister in Christ Jesus
Greetings, Betsey Lane. Do you really think that this is how the triune God operates? I appreciate your heart for the Lord, Betsey Lane, but I found your caricature of Our Lord disturbing. Christ left His glory to come to this earth to save His sheep. That glory was returned to Him when He finished His task and ascended! The triune God intercommunicates and interacts. They are in perfect union in all things. Christ, sitting at the right hand of power, knows all that the Father knows. He is God of very God. You have portrayed Him in the self-limited sense in which He lived in this world. He is not some young child seeking information from His father because He is lacking it!

I think we must be careful of such characterizations. They might seem cute and appeal to our inner emotions, but are they accurate?

In Christ, Preterist

Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,637,317 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Same old tired atheist response.

And here's the same Christian response that we keep saying but it is conveniently forgotten when you move on to another thread, just so you can say THAT ABOVE. Please let it sink in and retain it. ISRAEL BEING RE-ESTABLISHED AS A NATION HAS NOT HAPPENED UNTIL OUR GENERATION. It is the SUPER SIGN, and the Bible says the following in reference to OUR GENERATION.

Matthew 24:34
I tell you the truth, this generation (our generation) will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
Mark 13:30
I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Luke 21:32
"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Now, this is so important that it was said 3 times EXACTLY word for word in 3 different books of the Bible.

OUR generation, the generation to see Christ return, will not die BEFORE His return. So think about that.......how old are the people getting to be who were born around 1948? Hmmmmm......60. And how long are we destined to live according to the Bible? Hmmmmm.....around 70 years. See where I'm going with this?

Quote:
When the Christ said, that the Kingdom of God is with in, he wasn't talking to Christians, he was talking to all of mankind.
No He was NOT talking to all of mankind. The spiritual kingdom of God exists within believers, that's it. It's not a literal kingdom until Jesus returns.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:27 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,496,075 times
The expression "this generation" spoken by Jesus and recorded in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 does NOT refer to our generation. This is a completely unjustified interpretation by dispensationalists to support their false system of eschatology.

Every time (20 times without exception) Jesus used the expression "this generation" He ALWAYS meant His contemporaries. ALWAYS! Let's look them up!

Furthermore, the earthquakes spoken of by Jesus were earthquakes which were clearly to take place in that same generation. He was warning His first-century disciples standing right there with Him!

Yes, there are wars and rumors of wars today, but they are not THOSE wars and rumors of wars of which Jesus warned His disciples. Yes, there are earthquakes and famines and pestilences today, but they are not THOSE earthquakes and famines and pestilences of which Jesus warned His disciples.

We MUST study and understand the sitz im leben of passages lest we erroneously and presumptuously interpret the Bible!

WE are not the YE of Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21! All of Scripture is FOR us but not all of Scripture is TO us! Much false teaching and many fanciful fabrications are foisted upon the Church today because we ascribe to our generation those things that were never meant for us!

Preterist

Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,026,946 times
Well, I have been to Yellowstone several times and I love it there. I hope it doesn't blow in my lifetime. But whether it does or does not, it has nothing to do with End of Days or the Raptrure or anything else. It is geology and vulcanology and lots of other scientific stuff that I don't really understand. No worries!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
I think we must be careful of such characterizations. They might seem cute and appeal to our inner emotions, but are they accurate?

In Christ, Preterist
Lighten up, Preterist . . . it was adorable and done with love and every intent of witnessing her belief to us in an appealing way. If God is humorless and somber and serious all the time . . . why would our souls be so drawn to such things (Disney, etc.). I hope eternity is not without such cuteness and adorableness. God bless, Betsey.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,637,317 times
I can't respond to what you said within my post, cause you put it within the quote. Let me open another window, and I'll try. Okay....

You said:
Quote:
Are you saying that Yellowstone is presently screaming? I'm trying to find, through my sources, that this is imminent by any standards. I'm reminded of Mt. St. Helens 3 years ago, when it was "awakening". Seems that it was just rolling over in its sleep. That's what volcanos do, but even if Yellowstone lights up, why is this THE END-TIMES ERUPTION? What about a far more likely, say, world-wide bacterial or viral pandemic? Why would your God blow up all of those recently transplanted wolves, those loving grizzlies, deer, bison, etc etc. Not to mention Christian tourists feeding same?

Nooooo...I said the EARTH is screaming. It doesn't mean an eruption is the end of times, it means it is (along with the other disasters happening simultaneously) that it is just another "birth pain" that we should be paying attention to. Yes, a pandemic would also be another sign. All animals go to heaven. And the Christian tourists will too, if they are what they claim to be.
Quote:
Did all you good Christians say the same when St. Helens erupted? Oh, I forgot; there was no good effective internet forum system back then so it couldn't have been The One True End-Event. Say, does it predict The Net in the bible, it being perhaps The One True COMMUNICATION SYSTEM now, allowing Christians to communicate and share ideas so well. Just curious, since He propheses EVERYTHING that has or will happen. ("And God said" Let there be broad-band communications in the homes of believers, and the wicked shall be downloading filthy pictures...")

I don't know what was said about Mt. St. Helens, I didn't care at that time. You're not understanding that one incident does not mean the end.....several incidents, an increase in number of these incidents and the ferocity of the incidents (such as wars and rumors of wars) are what we are told to pay attention to. And yes, the Bible does mention an increase in knowledge in the last days, which the internet would qualify.
Hardy-har-har....
Quote:
My apologies if you have felt slighted. (but PS: I've seen you guys quote The Bible ad nauseum as well...).

Slighted? Not in the least. Yes, we quote the Bible. It's the crux of Christianity, you know.
Quote:
I've not actually mentioned them ad nauseum, just more often recently when some guy or girl calls scientists such endearing terms as "idiots, bald-faced liars, ego-driven maniacs, publicity hounds", etc. Or when it's painfully, nauseatingly obvious to any skeptical reader that the writer of obvious tripe has absolutely no formal or otherwise training or education in the thing they are refuting. Like that lady who said yesterday that evolution is when your cat changes into a dog overnight, and therefore evolution doesn't exist because she's never seen it. I've heard this stupidity before, and I asked her what it felt like to have been knowingly mis-informed all these years by folks who knew better. No response yet. Must be my arrogance, eh?

I would never call you those things, but if the shoe fits.....
Quote:
That's when I point out that perhaps my many years of study and reading and thinking might account for some validity and credibility with more reasonable readers. In other words, did I learn anything, or, in your opinion, should we scientists throw everything we learned out the window?

Education is good. Letting it be your god is bad. You can be educated AND be a Christian, you know.
Quote:
Would you rather that I leave these forums? I'll bet you would. After all, then you'd have eliminated another debator with some opposing but valid and well-thought-out information.

Of course not! You have just as much right to be here as I do. I mentioned your throwing around of your "knowledge" because it seems to be what rules you. Knowledge of the Bible and belief in God and Jesus Christ increases your knowledge also, and you can take up the evolution theory with God when you get to heaven. Micro, yes. Macro, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
You also assume that I, and other scientists, have absolutely NO other knowledge, NO spirituality, NO greater personal understanding, NO life's experiences, NOTHING compared to your superior knowledge, your spiritual superiority, your deep understandings. As in "what you don't understand with all your head knowledge" . You sure about that?

Do you believe in God and have spirituality? Seems like I heard you say you were an atheist. There are plenty of scientists who are also Christians. They aren't mutually exclusive, you know. Science is good. I never said otherwise. Making it your god is bad. Science can also bring us closer to the mind of God.
Quote:
We're just happy, and not threatened, to ask possibly uncomfortable questions. And for that we're roundly put down by the likes of people who attack our credentials, our minds, our egos, anything (sorry..) to put us down.

Wasn't putting you down, just stating the obvious.
Quote:
And so, when someone arrives on forum who might actually have some rational credentials to comment on geology or biology or astroscience or up-to-date irrefutable archeological dating techniques, but you don't like the answer or their educated statements, that potentially knowlegeable person's therefore awash in their own arrogance or their limited "head knowledge".

Nope, what I said is in all of your head knowledge (compliment, btw) you can't make room for the spiritual. God created you, and gave you that wonderful, educated mind so consider your Maker. A little belief, gratitude and acknowledgement is all He requires.
Quote:
(BTW, where does your knowledge reside then? In your feet? In someone else's fable-writings? Where, exactly? Puh-leeeze don't say "in my heart" either lest we heartless scientists and thinkers all start crying...).

What knowledge? I'm an idiot!!!?? Here's what Firstborn 888 said about me..........(not really, I thought it was heelarious)

"Fiesty-est Friendly Female Fundie Freakout ever (DOTL)"

Me knowledge comes from me Lord. I have Him to thank for it all.
Quote:
Sorry, DOTL. It won't wash. Go ahead, call me narrow-minded. If you actually knew me... But go ahead; call me any thing you want. You'll be wrong, but why change? As I proved in another thread yesterday, Christians will say anything to avoid concessions to any of my or our thinking or ideas.
I've tried name-calling, all it gets me is infractions. If you knew me, you'd love me too. God bless you and your big head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity