Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

This thread caught my eye as I've actually been in Yellowstone when there was an earthquake. About 30 years ago. I was on vacation with my parents. We went to see "Old Faithful" erupt and it was late. (It's on a kind of pretty-good-guess schedule.) After sitting on the benches for a couple of hours it finally went off. And was pitiful. Not the big erruption we'd all seen pictures of. My dad looked at the ranger and said, "You're going to have an earthquake here." Ranger got all huffy. Next day: pretty good sized quake.

I come from earthquake country and normally you can't predict them, but I've always thought that was a pretty good story. The quake, by the way, made national news and upset a whole bunch of tourists.

I've been in many quakes. Some of them pretty big. Whittier, Landers, Northridge. These names will mean something to anyone from CA. You can worry about them or you can turn it all over to God. I would wake up every day and in my morning prayers ask God to protect me and my family and our house and cars.

A couple of big quakes came in the early morning hours. I prayed out loud for God's protection for us and the house. (When you can hear the nails popping out of the studs you know you need God's grace.) I'd pray specifically that the pipes wouldn't burst. That's how I was led to pray.

I would also pray before I went into some place like Home Depot. When you are in earthquake country and you look up and see washing machines stacked 40 feet above you, you think about things like how easily they can fall. "Dear God, please protect me while I'm inside. Thank you."

Many years ago there was a major quake in a town called Coalinga, CA. The night before it hit a woman (actually it might have been two) was led to begin praying for the town. She actually went out and walked around the town praying for God's protection for the town. The quake hit. God heard her prayers. While the downtown area was destroyed and 94 people were injured, no one was killed. With all the falling debris the experts expected people to be killed. Didn't happen.

I believe earthquakes are part of nature. But I also know that God protects us. And if "the big one" does hit, and I'm in CA at the time, I'm all "prayed up" and know where I'm going.

PTL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This thread caught my eye as I've actually been in Yellowstone when there was an earthquake. About 30 years ago. I was on vacation with my parents. We went to see "Old Faithful" erupt and it was late. (It's on a kind of pretty-good-guess schedule.) After sitting on the benches for a couple of hours it finally went off. And was pitiful. Not the big erruption we'd all seen pictures of. My dad looked at the ranger and said, "You're going to have an earthquake here." Ranger got all huffy. Next day: pretty good sized quake.

I come from earthquake country and normally you can't predict them, but I've always thought that was a pretty good story. The quake, by the way, made national news and upset a whole bunch of tourists.

I've been in many quakes. Some of them pretty big. Whittier, Landers, Northridge. These names will mean something to anyone from CA. You can worry about them or you can turn it all over to God. I would wake up every day and in my morning prayers ask God to protect me and my family and our house and cars.

A couple of big quakes came in the early morning hours. I prayed out loud for God's protection for us and the house. (When you can hear the nails popping out of the studs you know you need God's grace.) I'd pray specifically that the pipes wouldn't burst. That's how I was led to pray.

I would also pray before I went into some place like Home Depot. When you are in earthquake country and you look up and see washing machines stacked 40 feet above you, you think about things like how easily they can fall. "Dear God, please protect me while I'm inside. Thank you."

Many years ago there was a major quake in a town called Coalinga, CA. The night before it hit a woman (actually it might have been two) was led to begin praying for the town. She actually went out and walked around the town praying for God's protection for the town. The quake hit. God heard her prayers. While the downtown area was destroyed and 94 people were injured, no one was killed. With all the falling debris the experts expected people to be killed. Didn't happen.

I believe earthquakes are part of nature. But I also know that God protects us. And if "the big one" does hit, and I'm in CA at the time, I'm all "prayed up" and know where I'm going.

PTL!!
Amen! You better tell these scoffers and unbelievers! Whoa that is amazing!

How did she know the earthquake was gonna come?!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Amen! You better tell these scoffers and unbelievers! Whoa that is amazing!

How did she know the earthquake was gonna come?!
God spoke to her the night before. I believe while she was in prayer. She recognized His voice and knew she had to go outside and pray. This was the Holy Spirit at work because it was a terrible earthquake.

I think it was written up in "Guideposts".

Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Hey Verna!!

Yeah, my spirit knows something I don't too!! That's a good way to put it!! I know what is to follow in the "splaining away" posts, but I don't really care what people say......I'm only concerned with what God says. Anyone who is spiritually connected can feel it.
There will be no 'splaining away' from me!! When God gives the go ahead for something to happen, it happens. Yellowstone could possibly be a part of the judgments of the Tribulation. It would seem that based on the book of Revelation, an asteroid will strike the earth during that time.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Good Morning DOTL!......I DO believe these earthquakes; psunamis-(<spelling?)..;hurricanes-(I know all about them living here in Florida)..; floods; are signs...yes...the creation groans...my spirit knows something is very different about the times we are living in now...my spirit knows something I don't......Loveyou!
i wonder how many people in the last 2000 years have said the same thing?...If Christ says no one knows the Hour or Day, not even He Himself...you are going to tell me that your spirit does???...you folks here must be greater than Christ...because He didn't even know...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Hey Verna!!

Yeah, my spirit knows something I don't too!! That's a good way to put it!! I know what is to follow in the "splaining away" posts, but I don't really care what people say......I'm only concerned with what God says. Anyone who is spiritually connected can feel it.
Sure...Uh-huh...whatever...

Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
I thought you were a Christian....are you telling me you can't see what's happening around us as "birth pains"?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
I thought you were a Christian....are you telling me you can't see what's happening around us as "birth pains"?
Ilene,

In Luke Jesus was explaining to his disciples what was going to happen to them. They asked about the temple that was standing

Luk 21:5 And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,
Luk 21:6 As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
Luk 21:7 And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
Luk 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

This happened to the JEWS in 70AD

Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
I didn't realize you are a preterist Meerkat. I certainly don't want to get into THAT discussion.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
I didn't realize you are a preterist Meerkat. I certainly don't want to get into THAT discussion.
Ilene,

Fair enough, you have probably got enough on your plate with "digesting" the reconciliation of all through Christ --------I am not sure that I am a "preterist" but I do believe that a lot has already been fulfilled in 70AD physically and have been wondering about what spiritual things are being fulfilled since 70AD, I know that preterists say that other preterists are not really preterists, just like some christians say of other christians are not real christians ....... I find that labels are very divisive, they seems to take away the seeking of truth from what is actually being said and who to, and puts the emphasis on following what people have said --------> baptist, mormon, calvinist, preterist, universalist,

We are to test the spirits not just go along with party lines ---- I believe the Holy Spirit gives individual revelations -- it seems to me that problems happen when those individual revelations are made into denominations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity